SAW Offseason Jam Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iron1 View Post
    Tried doing something with the ML Amp plugin and my new Solar A2.6 this morning. Definitely glad I ran the Solar thru my Boss Katana Mini first, as I really dig the pickups, but would have had a different opinion if I'd tried it through this plug in first #ItWontChug...

Brutal. Love the intro and the overall attitude. I've messed with the ML Amp plugins, which are decent but no match for my physical Fractal stuff. There are some pretty sweet plugins out there, but I usually can't do play live with them because there's noticeable latency, so when I use them, I usually record direct (which sounds really weird because I'm just hearing this dull, boring tone when I do), then turning the plugin on when I play back, which sounds like the real deal. Even though I've got a really high-spec computer, I can't completely get rid of the latency, even when using an audio interface that's renowned for very little latency. I kind of wonder what kind of supercomputers people are using where they have zero latency, but I've heard that they oftentimes actually have lower specs than I do but that they've done a lot of software customization to get that latency down.

Anyway, went off on a tirade, but sweet track.

Comment

Originally posted by Naren View Post

Brutal. Love the intro and the overall attitude. I've messed with the ML Amp plugins, which are decent but no match for my physical Fractal stuff. There are some pretty sweet plugins out there, but I usually can't do play live with them because there's noticeable latency, so when I use them, I usually record direct (which sounds really weird because I'm just hearing this dull, boring tone when I do), then turning the plugin on when I play back, which sounds like the real deal. Even though I've got a really high-spec computer, I can't completely get rid of the latency, even when using an audio interface that's renowned for very little latency. I kind of wonder what kind of supercomputers people are using where they have zero latency, but I've heard that they oftentimes actually have lower specs than I do but that they've done a lot of software customization to get that latency down.

Anyway, went off on a tirade, but sweet track.
      Thanks - yeah, the whole recording a dry track thing really throws me off when I'm playing. I don't think I'm suffering with noticeable latency issues, but the dry guitar tone is hardly inspiring for playing metal.
      Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

Comment

Thanks - yeah, the whole recording a dry track thing really throws me off when I'm playing. I don't think I'm suffering with noticeable latency issues, but the dry guitar tone is hardly inspiring for playing metal.
        And there can be times where with the high-gain tone, you have a screaming pinch harmonic, but with the dry direct track, it's just this really tiny pathetic-sounding pinch harmonic, so you can't be quite sure if you nailed it until you turn the plugin on and give it a listen.

It's also kind of odd since I'm perfectly fine sitting with an unplugged electric guitar, playing metal riffs without feeling odd, but when I'm plugged in recording direct, it just feels weird. Maybe both because of the actual signal from the pickups and because of the drums and potentially other instruments being present making it sound more off.

Comment

Tried doing something with the ML Amp plugin and my new Solar A2.6 this morning. Definitely glad I ran the Solar thru my Boss Katana Mini first, as I really dig the pickups, but would have had a different opinion if I'd tried it through this plug in first #ItWontChug...

This tune rules, dude. And the tones definitely aren't bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Naren View Post

It's also kind of odd since I'm perfectly fine sitting with an unplugged electric guitar, playing metal riffs without feeling odd, but when I'm plugged in recording direct, it just feels weird.
            A thousand times this! ^^^^

Originally posted by Markus View Post

This tune rules, dude. And the tones definitely aren't bad.
            Thanks Markus! Since this one is called "Fluff" I'm assuming it's based on his settings. Love watching his vids and such, but have never loved his tones. The plugin isn't terrible (the other one I tried is all fizz all the time, so I'll take fluff over fizz ), but it's definitely not inspiring me to jam. But, glad you like it - thanks! ​​​​​​​

Comment

Iron1 Sounds badass, brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Megametal7 View Post
                Iron1 Sounds badass, brother.
                Thanks Ram!

I'd totally dismissed the idea of running a cable from the Katana Mini into my DAW for recording, but decided this morning I'd try it just to see what it sounded like. This little sucker just doesn't stop amazing me. IMO, it sounds WAY better than the ML plugin I've been using. So, from now on, when I'm unable to use my full rig, this Mini is the go-to. Dug it so much, I unpacked my Solar Bass to do a Twin Suns SAW track.

And this pretty much confirms what I though, LOVE these Duncan Solar pickups.
                Last edited by Iron1; 09-11-2021, 07:42 PM.

Comment

this weeks instalment.

Slayer meets Metallica kind of riff.

Comment

Originally posted by Megametal7 View Post
                    this weeks instalment.

Slayer meets Metallica kind of riff.

Good stuff.

Here's something I did the other day that I've expanded on/remixed:

Comment

I play slayer, this was too much fun. The solo is messy as it played mostly by ear and my ears aren't good to start with lol

I double tracked guitars and this is as tightest as I can play. what do you think of my guitar tone? I adjusted pick ups.... Dose it sound ok?

anyway, enjoy.

Comment

^^^^ Good stuff as always Ram! ^^^^
                        --

I unpacked the DLS1 this morning to try out the Solar thru the emulated out. Definitely sounds more emulated/compressed than the head sounds through speakers, but not too shabby. The sound difference between both options with this is MUCH bigger than on the Katana Mini, which sounds nearly identical either way.

Something else I came to realize while doing this, as much as I love the Solar A2.6 guitar, I think I'm more in love with the Solar AB2.4 bass.

Comment

Working...
                        X