Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Song and Cover a Week Season 1, Week 5

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Song and Cover a Week Season 1, Week 5

    And on we go, great stuff from everyone last week, and looking forward to some more! Remember, if you after ultimate points, that doing an original AND a cover nets you 20. So anyone looking to overachieve (or challenge our current king of overachievement, of for the current king to overachieve overachieving) this is THE route to go for the crown and the amazing MM.org picks on offer!

    Iron1: 60pts
    Blazon_Stone: 40pts
    T Gobbs: 40pts
    Markus: 40pts
    Megametal7: 40pts
    Valtteri: 30pts
    desertdweller: 20pts
    Webdood: 10pts
    7 Dying Trees: 10pts
    Budda: 10pts
    tibernius: 10pts

    Date for submissions is sunday midnight, always. I will check every monday around 10am where I am and total up points then.

    We'll run for 8 or 10 weeks depending on participation.

    Anyway, here's the rules:
    - write one or more songs per week
    - cover one or more songs per week
    - 10 points for the first cover and first original song
    - points after that will be 5 for a second, 3 for a third, 1 for a 4th and 1 for every one after that.
    - apart from the 1st cover AND firs original, songs score like above. So you can submit a cover, a song, then 3 more of each say. this will give you 20pts for the first two, but then the next 6 will score 5, 3 and 4 times 1 giving you 32pts.
    - must be songs. 3 riffs stuck together do not a song make (otherwise it'd be easy to just submit 10 collections of riffs and get points, this is against the spirit of it all)
    - you're allowed 1 grindcore level joker song, but it still has to be a song. you must indicate this on your submission
    - submissions to be posted in this thread, soundcloud links, youtube, dropbox, whatever, as long as it can be played without paying something to someone.
    - you will not stealk from others except when doing covers
    - discretionary points awarded for extra work (like making a youtube music video, or anything entertaining)
    - submit by the time i have fed myself coffee on monday morning (but basically, sunday night somewhere in the world is your deadline).
    - all decisions by your benevolent dictator (me) are final

    Don't:
    - be a dick. songwriting is a skill you learn, and some may be better than others. By all means, give advice, encouragement, but don't go saying "this sux noob" etc. Penalties wil involve points deductions roughly equal to the amount of string and drum hits in the first minute of the liquid tension experiment 3 opening track.
    - steal shit of other people. covers are fine, lifting someone elses work and passing it off as your own, whether that be from a member, or from a different forum is not cool. Penalty for infringrement, see above
    - spam the thread with tons of non songs just to get points. If I feel someone is just putting crap up to score points for extra songs, I'll just not count the points.

    #2
    Someone's finally ahead of Ced.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by T Gobbs View Post
      Someone's finally ahead of Ced.
      Probably not for long...

      Here's my next one:



      Did all the guitars with the Arrow. When just jamming, I actually like the EMGs in this thing. But, in the mix, I definitely prefer my passives - the EMGs are a bit too thin and have this weird frequency that seems to highlight the tone of the pick against the strings, if that makes any sense.

      It's funny cause I'm totally in love with the Arrow, but can't wait to play my Jackson and KM6 again for the next song.
      Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Iron1 View Post

        Probably not for long...

        Here's my next one:



        Did all the guitars with the Arrow. When just jamming, I actually like the EMGs in this thing. But, in the mix, I definitely prefer my passives - the EMGs are a bit too thin and have this weird frequency that seems to highlight the tone of the pick against the strings, if that makes any sense.

        It's funny cause I'm totally in love with the Arrow, but can't wait to play my Jackson and KM6 again for the next song.
        I like this the most so far, it has thrash elements and guitar tone is really good too. Its gets better each week, awesome work man!

        Comment


          #5
          Even if it's not totally your thing, that tone works great for the song.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Megametal7 View Post
            I like this the most so far, it has thrash elements and guitar tone is really good too. Its gets better each week, awesome work man!
            Thanks Ram!

            Originally posted by T Gobbs View Post
            Even if it's not totally your thing, that tone works great for the song.
            Thanks T. I'd be lying if I said this Arrow doesn't beg you to play thrash/speed metal. A doom machine it is not.

            Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

            Comment


              #7
              Here is my this week's entry, I wrote and finished it today. ( As you can tell by the quality of the song ) lol

              Comment


                #8
                here is another one for this week, on this one, my boy is helping me out this my grindcore joker song entry

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Megametal7 View Post
                  here is another one for this week, on this one, my boy is helping me out this my grindcore joker song entry

                  That's awesome!

                  I have a song my son screamed on, but could never get him to do anymore. But, next time I do vocals he'll probably join me since I finally got my Quadraverb and compressor set up.
                  Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Iron1 View Post

                    That's awesome!

                    I have a song my son screamed on, but could never get him to do anymore. But, next time I do vocals he'll probably join me since I finally got my Quadraverb and compressor set up.
                    thanks, dude, Look forward to hearing your and your boys' vocals.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      last entry for this week.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Here's my next one. Slowed down a bit and went for heavy groove this time. Where's Bohmer when ya need him?

                        Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

                        Comment


                          #13
                          All the talk of flayed skin in the Tolex thread got me to break out the SLX and KM6, run 'em through the Drop Pedal for some D tune'd thrashiness. Gonna have to try the Arrow through that thing next.

                          Last edited by Iron1; 05-20-2021, 04:06 PM.
                          Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Megametal7 View Post
                            last entry for this week.
                            This makes me wish I knew how to play leads... good stuff!
                            Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Iron1 View Post
                              All the talk of flayed skin in the Tolex thread got me to break out the SLX and KM6, run 'em through the Drop Pedal for some D tune'd thrashiness. Gonna have to try the Arrow through that thing next.

                              Thrash always puts a smile on my face, sounds good mosh pit song.

                              Thanks for the compliment.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Well you guys sure are productive this week, cool stuff! I did a cover of the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Theme this week. I used a MIDI file of the DS9 Theme I found and replaced the brass voices with guitar and bass, adding some drums to it as well. Seeing as it's a bit of a free flowing orchestral piece, the timing’s a bit wonky in places; I just didn’t have time to figure things out, so it is what it is

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by Valtteri View Post
                                  Well you guys sure are productive this week, cool stuff! I did a cover of the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Theme this week. I used a MIDI file of the DS9 Theme I found and replaced the brass voices with guitar and bass, adding some drums to it as well. Seeing as it's a bit of a free flowing orchestral piece, the timing’s a bit wonky in places; I just didn’t have time to figure things out, so it is what it is

                                  Thats a great pice of music, I like the guitar tone too, sounds warm.

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by Valtteri View Post
                                    Well you guys sure are productive this week, cool stuff! I did a cover of the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Theme this week. I used a MIDI file of the DS9 Theme I found and replaced the brass voices with guitar and bass, adding some drums to it as well. Seeing as it's a bit of a free flowing orchestral piece, the timing’s a bit wonky in places; I just didn’t have time to figure things out, so it is what it is

                                    That's awesome! Great job! Makes me want to go where no metalhead has gone before.
                                    Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

                                    Comment

                                    Working...
                                    X