Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Audio Interface

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New Audio Interface

    So here's my dilemma:

    My Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 v2 acts up occasionally. Sometimes the sound drops out completely and I have to power cycle it, sometimes it locks up and I have to reboot. The gain indicator on the first knob also doesn't work so I have to pull up the control panel to see if I'm clipping the input. Over the last 6 months, I've been recording a lot more as well. Both writing original music with a friend as well as recording covers with some other friends. The whole process has been pretty cathartic and I'd prefer to get sucked into mixing then binging Netflix every night for 5 hours at a time.

    So I'm looking for a new interface, but I'm on a Windows platform. One of my good friends locally has been pushing me towards UAD hardware, and I'm not afraid to spend the money on, but from what I've read Thunderbolt is a giant pain in the dick to get working correctly on a Windows platform, and even then the Apollo hardware can be hit or miss with the Thunderbolt shit in Windows. I'd like something a little more high end that also has line inputs for external mic pres. I'm most likely never going to record acoustic drums so 2-4 quality mic pres built in are all I need.

    Does anyone have any suggestions to look at? If nothing blows me away, I may just bite the bullet and get a used Mac Pro and have a dedicated recording computer, but I'm hoping tit doesn't come to that since I just upgraded my Windows PC over the summer (Ryzen R7 3700X/32Gb Ram/tons of storage).

    #2
    Funnily enough I'm having the exact same issue with my Focusrite, I've settled on getting something from RME as their drivers are supposed to be second to none. Plus it has all the ins and outs that I want.
    www.terra.band

    Comment


      #3
      I got an Audient iD4 recently that has been working great (on Mac at least). I haven't had any problems with clipping but I did have latency issues in Reaper while direct monitoring. In GarageBand I don't have any latency issues.

      The sound quality is about as good as I can expect. They aren't too expensive but sound and feel expensive
      Leon Today at 7:59 PM: Ripping farts is heaven

      Comment


        #4
        i'm not sure how common the Thunderbolt issues are with UAD these days, but if you're a bit hesitant I'd recommend you check out RME or Apogee. The Quartet is a pretty solid interface. those two and UAD are probably the best in the consumer sphere.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by zepp View Post
          I got an Audient iD4 recently that has been working great (on Mac at least). I haven't had any problems with clipping but I did have latency issues in Reaper while direct monitoring. In GarageBand I don't have any latency issues.

          The sound quality is about as good as I can expect. They aren't too expensive but sound and feel expensive
          I just got an Audient too, the iD14MkII. Works great with the M1 Mac Mini, which is cool. No latency to speak of in GB or Logic.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Jeff View Post

            I just got an Audient too, the iD14MkII. Works great with the M1 Mac Mini, which is cool. No latency to speak of in GB or Logic.


            Leon Today at 7:59 PM: Ripping farts is heaven

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by thrashinbatman View Post
              i'm not sure how common the Thunderbolt issues are with UAD these days, but if you're a bit hesitant I'd recommend you check out RME or Apogee. The Quartet is a pretty solid interface. those two and UAD are probably the best in the consumer sphere.
              Most of the issues I've read were WIndows related. You can't just add a TB card to a Windows PC - your motherboard has to support it and have an appropriate header for connectivity. Very few have them built in. I'd have to get another motherboard - which I was ready to do - until I started reading about the hardware being somewhat flaky under Windows, so I got cold feet. I'm not a MAC guy but am willing to learn if it makes more sense.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Alan View Post

                Most of the issues I've read were WIndows related. You can't just add a TB card to a Windows PC - your motherboard has to support it and have an appropriate header for connectivity. Very few have them built in. I'd have to get another motherboard - which I was ready to do - until I started reading about the hardware being somewhat flaky under Windows, so I got cold feet. I'm not a MAC guy but am willing to learn if it makes more sense.
                i was in the same boat. I bought an Intel NUC just for the TB3 port so I could get a UAD interface, then I immediately started working in a recording studio and upgrading my home studio felt less urgent. building a Windows machine with TB connectivity is indeed a pain in the ass, which I why I said fuck it and just got a NUC. I do kind of regret not just getting a Mac Mini, especially since my studio uses the Apogee Ensemble which is Mac only, but they're also mad expensive.

                I can't really pretend to understand the relationship between Windows and TB3 these days, but basically you have to decide how attached you are to the idea of using UAD's stuff. It's great, but is it worth this headache? I myself haven't fully come up with an answer, which I why I'm still using my old 18i20.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by thrashinbatman View Post

                  i was in the same boat. I bought an Intel NUC just for the TB3 port so I could get a UAD interface, then I immediately started working in a recording studio and upgrading my home studio felt less urgent. building a Windows machine with TB connectivity is indeed a pain in the ass, which I why I said fuck it and just got a NUC. I do kind of regret not just getting a Mac Mini, especially since my studio uses the Apogee Ensemble which is Mac only, but they're also mad expensive.

                  I can't really pretend to understand the relationship between Windows and TB3 these days, but basically you have to decide how attached you are to the idea of using UAD's stuff. It's great, but is it worth this headache? I myself haven't fully come up with an answer, which I why I'm still using my old 18i20.
                  The appeal is more the plugins, though their converters and preamps are well regarded. I just read that you can run a UAD satellite with any interface and use the satellite for their plugins, so I might do a little more research into RME. I don't really need the plugins for tracking which would be the appeal of the Apollo - especially if I end up with a couple external preamps for vocal and guitar tracking. Maybe Windows will get their shit together with TB4, but I'm not going to hold my breath

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I just picked up an SSL2+ and am very happy with it.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Alan View Post

                      The appeal is more the plugins, though their converters and preamps are well regarded. I just read that you can run a UAD satellite with any interface and use the satellite for their plugins, so I might do a little more research into RME. I don't really need the plugins for tracking which would be the appeal of the Apollo - especially if I end up with a couple external preamps for vocal and guitar tracking. Maybe Windows will get their shit together with TB4, but I'm not going to hold my breath
                      Right, I forgot about that! That does make the investment a bit iffy. Really, you get UAD interfaces for both the incredible latency and solid converters. Companies like RME and Apogee also have great converters (enough that it becomes a matter of opinion), and with a computer as badass as yours, once you're in that realm of interface, there's little holding you back from tracking with close-to-zero latency. I feel like we're talking each other out of UAD here With TB still in it's infancy in Windows, it may be best to stick to one of the high-quality USB interfaces and come back to TB interfaces once it's matured a bit. Especially if reliability is a big concern.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Jeff View Post

                        I just got an Audient too, the iD14MkII. Works great with the M1 Mac Mini, which is cool. No latency to speak of in GB or Logic.
                        I'm looking into buying a new interface, and I'm leaning into getting one of those. Right now I have a Scarlett Solo, which I bought because I needed a cheap interface quickly; it works fine mostly, but now that I've gotten a new set of headphones, not having separate headphone/monitor controls is driving me crazy.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by man jerk View Post
                          I just picked up an SSL2+ and am very happy with it.
                          I've read good things about those, I think the thing that killed them for me was the lack of optical. Shame as they're spot on otherwise.
                          www.terra.band

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Ryan View Post

                            I've read good things about those, I think the thing that killed them for me was the lack of optical. Shame as they're spot on otherwise.
                            It's got optical ADAT, is that what you're referring to?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Jeff View Post

                              It's got optical ADAT, is that what you're referring to?
                              Does it? I think I'm going mad, I could have sworn it didn't.
                              www.terra.band

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Originally posted by Ryan View Post

                                Does it? I think I'm going mad, I could have sworn it didn't.
                                Maybe some don't but the iD14 does. You can then connect an 8-channel mic pre from Audient themselves, or Behringer, or Presonus too I think.

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by Jeff View Post

                                  Maybe some don't but the iD14 does. You can then connect an 8-channel mic pre from Audient themselves, or Behringer, or Presonus too I think.
                                  Oh yeah, I know. I was on about the SSL2+ though.

                                  www.terra.band

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    I have no problem suggesting PreSonus gear here. I've been using a Studio 68 for a number of years now and it's fantastic, especially if you're going direct with your guitar and using VST amp sims, it sounds really good for this, and it's not going to break the bank. Here's the more recent version, running off USB-C:

                                    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      Still on my RME Fireface 800, PSU crapped out on me, but I still got a good deal on a new one from RME, even if it's an EOL product.

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        I've not had issues with my 2i4 at all, but new shit is new shit.... I might give RME another look.

                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          Originally posted by man jerk View Post
                                          I just picked up an SSL2+ and am very happy with it.
                                          Those preamps sound freaking great. If I don't decide to upgrade (to the RME or Apogee) and just cross-grade, I will be getting one.

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            Originally posted by desertdweller View Post
                                            I have no problem suggesting PreSonus gear here. I've been using a Studio 68 for a number of years now and it's fantastic, especially if you're going direct with your guitar and using VST amp sims, it sounds really good for this, and it's not going to break the bank. Here's the more recent version, running off USB-C:

                                            https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface
                                            I'm still using my Firepod!

                                            Comment


                                              #23
                                              Originally posted by Mike View Post

                                              I'm still using my Firepod!
                                              I bought a Firepod 15 years ago and the firewire port shit the bed probably 5 years after. I never got it fixed and it got lost in a move.

                                              Comment

                                              Working...
                                              X