Newbie recording/playing through computer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie recording/playing through computer questions

Okay, so snagged me a Captor 8 from Drew and running it into my interface and fucking around. I've noticed something from my couple of hours with it:

Why can I lower my gain so much? I've cut the gain on my preamp by about I'd say a good 15-20% and I'm still doing pinch harmonics way easier. That's kind of an objective measurement so I don't think it's in my head. It's definitely not power tube distortion, I'm running a VHT 2/90/2 with KT88s so would really have to crank that fucker and slam it hard to get any kind of distortion out of it, so I turned it way down and turned the gain on my interface up and it's definitely not that because it's still happening.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds awesome, and less gain is always a good thing to keep things from getting mushy, it's just strange is all.

Also I'm looking for suggestions for free/cheap IRs. I tried Mattayus' and it doesn't seem to mesh well with my VHT rig, the stock IRs in NadIR seem to sound better to me, granted I'm not using studio grade headphones (Sennheiser HD598) and I haven't done any recording/mixing which I doubt I'll get serious into.

https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/...4#post-5306775

Leon Todd posts all his IR's for free, not sure if they're on a designated site or what.

Can't answer the gain thing unfortunately.

Comment

Leon Todd Cab IRs

Comment

Holy shit Budda, that thread is awesome. Downloading all of Drak's IRs now (not sure if he has Leon's in there or not). I'll check out Leon's as well. Drak has some IRs for the VHT cabs as well, so that's awesome.

Comment

Yeah DT came in for the win on that one.

Comment

Working...
          X