I'm no computer knowledgable!

But I am fairly certain that I want following specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 processor
    16GB Ram
    1TB SSD
    Windows 10
    Graphics card is not super important.

My top limit is circa 1500 EUR / USD

What will you be using it for? That will dictate what features are most important

Comment

Making music

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	22165

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	22165
          Normally I would say you wear a skinny tie if you used any apple products. But I will say that I switched to an iPhone a few months ago and its fucking awesome! Android was giving me issues with my realtor apps and my broker suggested an iPhone. So I bought an iPhone and there are absolutely no issues at all! Its a pleasure having a phone that works all the time.

Comment

Comment

I'm not getting any Mac

Comment

Originally posted by Blazon_Stone View Post
                I'm not getting any Mac
                Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Budda View Post

Why not?
                  why would anyone? switching platforms is a huge pain, that's the only reason apple survived in the 90s

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami View Post

why would anyone? switching platforms is a huge pain, that's the only reason apple survived in the 90s
                    Still seem to be doing just fine from what I can tell . I still barely know apple shortcuts, but go from windows at work to logic to record to the android phone Im typing on .

Comment

Why not?
                      Paying way too much for what you get.

I built a Windows 7 PC for circa 800usd almost 8 years ago, and it STILL runs great with fast startup times etc.
                      It doesnt handle big insane projects, but generally, I'm a "minimal use of plugins" type of person so its not always a problem...

But thats my stationary.

I still want a decent laptop for "on the road" use

Comment

Paying way too much for what you get.
                        It doesn't matter if the stats are better on a Windows laptop because it still runs Windows, which is hot garbage.

Not getting into it with you either way - just buy a Dell.

Comment

Hot garbage is highly exxagerating :p

I have very little issues with both Windows 7 (stationary) and Windows 10 (laptop)

Have I occasioanly had crashes etc? YES
                          Is it enough for me to consider spending tons of money on Mac? NO

Comment

I have very little issues with both Windows 7 (stationary) and Windows 10 (laptop)

Have I occasioanly had crashes etc? YES
                            Then get the newest version of your laptop?

Comment

I have 25+ years in Information Technology. Windows is hot garbage. Always has been.

It should be, because OSX is much, much better than Windows. For everything. Especially recording. But feel free to stick your fingers back in your ears and go buy a Dell.

Comment

I think the same about people who don't get EVERTUNE bridges.
                                Why play a guitar that goes out of tune...
                                I love my EVERTUNE guitars. I have played one of my guitars for several months now and it's still in tune. It's AWESOME.

So I can see your point, sure.

But just like people who like shitty hot garbage hardtail bridges that goes out of tune, I wanna stay with Windows.

Comment

Fair enough. Buy a dell, enjoy most of your "higher specs" going towards the poorly implemented operating system.

Comment

Fair enough. Buy a dell, enjoy most of your "higher specs" going towards the poorly implemented operating system.
                                    os x is shit too chris, don't get too high on the apple fumes. It's apple kludges on top of bsd. Well, now the worst part is apple is turning it into a mobile operating system.

Comment

os x is shit too chris, don't get too high on the apple fumes. It's apple kludges on top of bsd.
                                      Expand on this, for someone who doesnt follow tech closely?

Comment

Expand on this, for someone who doesnt follow tech closely?
                                        Apple reworks everything for every update which is why programs break inexplicably every time there's an os update. This is why there are so few mac software packages compared to windows because supporting it is a huge pain. I use apple laptops but I do not basically ever update, they have the absolute worst update record of any os lol.

Anyway the point of it being based on top of BSD is why it is great, windows is just a kind of half baked trash at its core in comparison though it's a lot better now than back in the day. Apple stuck a bunch of ui and interfacing layers on top of bsd core and called it os x and they change that stuff willy nilly which is what breaks things.

There is also the issue where basic functionality doesn't work properly like how their apps are tunneled through the firewall so it doesn't matter if you have it on or not they always can communicate no matter what so like ??? wtf ??? lol

Right now I just use whatever, I'm not too upset or obsessed with one system or another like chris and have a rod up my ass lol. I think he just has ptsd from novell on 95 or something.
                                        Last edited by Kagami; 08-10-2021, 05:20 PM.

Comment

nothing like the building dread among pro audio engineers when a Mac OS update is coming and they know some bullshit is imminent.

i bet if i was using mac i'd have already been forced to move on from Pro Tools 12 and be way madder at Avid then I already am.

Comment

Originally posted by thrashinbatman View Post
                                            nothing like the building dread among pro audio engineers when a Mac OS update is coming and they know some bullshit is imminent.

i bet if i was using mac i'd have already been forced to move on from Pro Tools 12 and be way madder at Avid then I already am.
                                            Well the good thing at least is apple doesn't FORCE you to update like MS seems to like to do lol. So they do have that going for them. Hmm, I mean they stop supporting and releasing updates but it doesn't autoupdate for you is what I mean. I think both os are complete garbage but I know I am in a minority, all of this windows 11 bs is making me want to go back to linux.

To be on topic though, the ROG/Asus Strix laptops seem to be pretty nice these days.
                                            Last edited by Kagami; 08-10-2021, 05:36 PM.

Comment

I stopped updating my mbp when i ran out of room

Comment

...just buy a Dell.
                                                This, at the end of the day. I generally only get laptops through work, but bought one myself a few years ago. All Dell, all have been pretty OK for the price

And, I agree that Mac is superior to Windows, but if Linux would get it's audio-shit together, it'd stomp all over both.

Comment

Well the good thing at least is apple doesn't FORCE you to update like MS seems to like to do lol. So they do have that going for them. Hmm, I mean they stop supporting and releasing updates but it doesn't autoupdate for you is what I mean. I think both os are complete garbage but I know I am in a minority, all of this windows 11 bs is making me want to go back to linux.

To be on topic though, the ROG/Asus Strix laptops seem to be pretty nice these days.
                                                  ACtually, I'm still on Windows 7 on my main studio computer.
                                                  And Cubase 7, for that matter.

Just because it works.

On my Windows 10 LAPTOP however I have also Cubase 7 as main DAW, but I also have Cubase 11 for export functions.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X