Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD: Ibanez 470s

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    NGD: Ibanez 470s

    This one was just an impulse Reverb feed purchase - guy was offering an Ibanez 470s for 380 shipped. Made in Japan but has a Gibson-scale neck and fixed bridge, which honestly is more of my preference anyway. Prior owner upgraded to EMGs, couple of finish chips and dings typical of a 26 year old guitar. Figured I'd lowball and see if he bit. Guy tried to get me to go off of Reverb, but when I told him no he accepted my offer and shipped, so I think he was just an idiot and not a scammer.

    Unsurprisingly, this is way better than 300 bucks. Plays fantastic but this experience has taught me that I hate EMGs so I'm going to rip them out and get some Black Winters or something.


    Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-03-17.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	6411

    #2
    HNGD.
    O K T H E N

    Comment


      #3
      So one of these?

      Very cool. I didn't remember them doing Gibson-scale S-series guitars. That must be a blast to play!

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Darren View Post
        So one of these?

        Very cool. I didn't remember them doing Gibson-scale S-series guitars. That must be a blast to play!
        Yeah, one of those. Super excited.

        Comment


          #5
          Congrats!!!! I never saw one with a hard tail. I had one with a ZR trem. I eventually painted it, and someone came over and offered me enough money to buy it right off my wall.

          http://lespauled.com/lynchTiger.html

          Comment


            #6
            Very nice score! Love how it’s a hardtail.

            Comment


              #7
              Huh, I didn’t know about these at all, now I really want one Bloody good buy there, and for a bit of a steal by the sounds of it!
              www.terra.band

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                Huh, I didn’t know about these at all, now I really want one
                Same here. :lol

                There's a bunch of really cool but rare models from around that time, like this, the HS S540, 24" scale 540R, 540S-7 etc. Too bad that they're all pretty much impossible to find.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Never saw a hardtail S470 before - always thought the hardtail were designated with a "1" instead of a "0" as the last digit (i.e. S521, not 540...).

                  The Fujigen ones (90s era MIJ S470s) all had a lo TRS crap pile in them. Was it modded or just some weird variant I never heard of...? Either way, HNGD!
                  Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Markus View Post

                    Same here. :lol

                    There's a bunch of really cool but rare models from around that time, like this, the HS S540, 24" scale 540R, 540S-7 etc. Too bad that they're all pretty much impossible to find.
                    Yeah, the early 1990s were an interesting period for Ibanez as metal and shred became uncool, and all of a sudden those types of guitars – their bread and butter for half a decade – saw their popularity drop off a cliff.

                    Ibanez started throwing a ton of weird combinations of things at the wall to see what would stick. My 442R is one of those. Alder Radius body, maple neck and fretboard, non-locking trem.

                    And wait… 24” scale 540R‽

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Darren View Post


                      And wait… 24” scale 540R‽
                      Yep, Japan only, unfortunately

                      https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/540RS

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Whoa…

                        Comment


                          #13
                          What a cool score!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Nice score

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Iron1 View Post
                              Never saw a hardtail S470 before - always thought the hardtail were designated with a "1" instead of a "0" as the last digit (i.e. S521, not 540...).

                              The Fujigen ones (90s era MIJ S470s) all had a lo TRS crap pile in them. Was it modded or just some weird variant I never heard of...? Either way, HNGD!
                              Weird variant - pretty sure it's this.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Sweet! That's really rad! And, thankfully, you don't have V1/V2 pickups in it.
                                Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  A rare sight! Congrats on the find!

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    That is very cool! I don't think I've ever seen one of these in person--didn't even know it existed.

                                    Comment

                                    Working...
                                    X