NGD: Ibanez 470s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NGD: Ibanez 470s

This one was just an impulse Reverb feed purchase - guy was offering an Ibanez 470s for 380 shipped. Made in Japan but has a Gibson-scale neck and fixed bridge, which honestly is more of my preference anyway. Prior owner upgraded to EMGs, couple of finish chips and dings typical of a 26 year old guitar. Figured I'd lowball and see if he bit. Guy tried to get me to go off of Reverb, but when I told him no he accepted my offer and shipped, so I think he was just an idiot and not a scammer.

Unsurprisingly, this is way better than 300 bucks. Plays fantastic but this experience has taught me that I hate EMGs so I'm going to rip them out and get some Black Winters or something.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-03-17.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	6411

HNGD.
    O K T H E N

Comment

So one of these?

Very cool. I didn't remember them doing Gibson-scale S-series guitars. That must be a blast to play!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
        So one of these?

Very cool. I didn't remember them doing Gibson-scale S-series guitars. That must be a blast to play!
        Yeah, one of those. Super excited.

Comment

Congrats!!!! I never saw one with a hard tail. I had one with a ZR trem. I eventually painted it, and someone came over and offered me enough money to buy it right off my wall.

http://lespauled.com/lynchTiger.html

Comment

Very nice score! Love how it’s a hardtail.

Comment

Huh, I didn’t know about these at all, now I really want one Bloody good buy there, and for a bit of a steal by the sounds of it!
              www.terra.band

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                Huh, I didn’t know about these at all, now I really want one
                Same here. :lol

There's a bunch of really cool but rare models from around that time, like this, the HS S540, 24" scale 540R, 540S-7 etc. Too bad that they're all pretty much impossible to find.

Comment

Never saw a hardtail S470 before - always thought the hardtail were designated with a "1" instead of a "0" as the last digit (i.e. S521, not 540...).

The Fujigen ones (90s era MIJ S470s) all had a lo TRS crap pile in them. Was it modded or just some weird variant I never heard of...? Either way, HNGD!
                  Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

Comment

Originally posted by Markus View Post

Same here. :lol

There's a bunch of really cool but rare models from around that time, like this, the HS S540, 24" scale 540R, 540S-7 etc. Too bad that they're all pretty much impossible to find.
                    Yeah, the early 1990s were an interesting period for Ibanez as metal and shred became uncool, and all of a sudden those types of guitars – their bread and butter for half a decade – saw their popularity drop off a cliff.

Ibanez started throwing a ton of weird combinations of things at the wall to see what would stick. My 442R is one of those. Alder Radius body, maple neck and fretboard, non-locking trem.

And wait… 24” scale 540R‽

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post

And wait… 24” scale 540R‽
                      Yep, Japan only, unfortunately

https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/540RS

Comment

Whoa…

Comment

What a cool score!

Comment

Nice score

Comment

Originally posted by Iron1 View Post
                              Never saw a hardtail S470 before - always thought the hardtail were designated with a "1" instead of a "0" as the last digit (i.e. S521, not 540...).

The Fujigen ones (90s era MIJ S470s) all had a lo TRS crap pile in them. Was it modded or just some weird variant I never heard of...? Either way, HNGD!
                              Weird variant - pretty sure it's this.

Comment

Sweet! That's really rad! And, thankfully, you don't have V1/V2 pickups in it.
                                Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

Comment

A rare sight! Congrats on the find!

Comment

That is very cool! I don't think I've ever seen one of these in person--didn't even know it existed.

Comment

Working...
                                    X