Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Share your stories about your best or favorite guitar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Share your stories about your best or favorite guitar!

We've all had that one guitar that just RIPPED, that for no logical reason just had "IT" and you couldn't explain how or why, but damn that was just the ONE for you! What was that guitar for you, and how did you come across meeting that special person in your life?

You aren't going to like my pick.

Comment

Good topic.

I got lucky with this one. Korean made RGT, wasn't hella expensive, I think around $700 when they came out in 2007, but this thing has infinite mojo, just sounds massive and smacks like Randy Johnson throwing a warm, uncooked sirloin steak against the side of a metal barn. Everyone hates on the TRS III trem, but this one is and always has been phenomenal, so yeah I got the rare great one.

It's been through 3 bands, 2 marriages, 3 kids, 2 degrees, 2 houses, and 4 guitar albums. Bury me with the damn thing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210915_091228 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	56741

Here I am playing it, somewhat competently. Skip to 5:00 in the video for one of my better lead parts:

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        You aren't going to like my pick.

But you aren’t wrong though. Young and dumb, didn’t realize how good it was. Been “chasing the dragon” in a sense ever since!

Comment

Mine's an interesting story.

I remember when Petrucci's were at the height of being produced world wide and each year there was a new model.
          I remember seeing the Musicman JP13 and I was like... 'This is the most plain Petrucci yet but it has an internal boost? That's cool.'

Anyway, I step into my local Guitar Center and they just so happened to have one. I was like, 'Why not? I'll try it out.'

As soon as I plugged into this Line 6 Bogner Spider Valve 2x12. It just blossomed and I was shocked.
          It almost was like "speaking," I had one or two employees come by and were like "Woah! That guitar sounds amazing!"
          The Manager at the time just so happened to hear it while walking by and as soon as I was done. He took it to the back.

I was bummed. I couldn't believe how great it sounded and how much better it looked in-person.
          So it sold and that was that...

A year or so later, I was having some issues with my arm where it was preventing me from playing my main Musicman Petrucci 7 String BFR.
          I was really praying about to what to buy or find and I just so happened to be talking to my Dad about it. He was like, "Let's just go to Guitar Center and see what they got."

As soon as I walk-in, I see a used JP13 on the wall and I was like, 'I wonder if that is the same one I played a year or so ago?'
          Pulled it down, it was practically in perfect condition. I went and plugged into this basic cabinet and head. As soon as I played the first chord, I realized it was the same guitar that I had played before because nothing else sounded like it. I said, "Dad! Dad! This is that amazing JP13 I played last year! This is the one!"

So anyway, the Manager confirmed it was the same one and my Dad sold some gear to help me buy it that day.
          So I named it after his nickname I gave him, "The Captain."

Since then this guitar has been apart of just every performance I've played on-stage. I've played it in-front of Grammy Winners and recorded at their house with, my Guitar Heroes (Richie Kotzen, Al Pitrelli) have seen me play it, I've written most of my favorite riffs and leads on it. I recorded a song for Epic Records with it. It's gone with me to Ohio, New York, West Virginia, Virginia, Georgia, Alabama. I won a guitar solo competition with it. I've played acoustic gigs with it and played in front of 1,200 people with it.

Practically everywhere.

It's got dings, neck pocket cracks from dropping it on accident, pickups got slight rusted from being left in the car during a hot day for like 3 hours under a shaded area (never do that again), I've replaced the boost knob twice .

It's just the easiest guitar for me to pick up and play.
          It always makes every amp sound better and I've had a couple of people try to buy it off me.

I can play any genre or style with it. It's just the ultimate guitar for me to get everything I need to get done.

And to top it off, John Petrucci signed the back of the headstock in 2019. I will never get rid of this guitar.

I can't thank God and my Dad enough that I have it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	87287454_10221984158376687_2388769829742968832_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.9 KB ID:	56749
          Playing my favorite venue in the area. "The Lincoln Theatre."
          Played the same stage as Symphony X, Buckethead, Opeth.
          Believe it or not. This was a Pop Gig and the artist wanted me to Metal/Rock up her show.
          I had an absolute blast.

Click image for larger version  Name:	91658031_3417547744939225_4187116737302364160_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	447.0 KB ID:	56751

Attached Files
          Last edited by Ghost.; 08-01-2022, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Tried to add it back to the OG Post I made and it wouldn't let me.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	shawn.jpg Views:	4 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	56761 I've had this guitar a couple years now and I absolutely love it. Took almost 3 decades to find the right one. I've always been an Ibanez guy at heart but I love ESP. It just plays and sounds really good. It is very comfortable, too. It's the first neck-thru I've ever owned and first with an ebony fretboard. Alot of people don't like the E-II logo but I actually love it.

Comment

So, there's 2 really, my first PWH and my LACS, so I'll do one of each.

First off the one I've had the longest is the LACS. It all kind of started on Ozzfest 2003 when I met the ibanez rep. I actually failed to follow it up, and it wasn't until the end of the year that I did, and ended up (after throwing a prs across stage as I was fucked off with it, and grabbing the beat up RG that was the backup, but then became the main) getting in touch. After a bit of back and forth they pretty much said if you buy 2 guitars to show you're committed, we'll build you one, so I bought an rgt2020 and an rg570 (I think) and had both done in matte black (unfortunately, and stupidly, and because poverty I sold both, the 570 first as didn't like the sound (would have been the tone zone, so stupid on my part) and then the RGT (to fund the pwh)).

Specs were a lot of hours spent thinking, but settled on the swamp ash wing, maple neck through, quilted maple top in purple finish, painted neck, reverse headstock, thicker body, kill switch and deeper trem recess with the neck profile being "make it like an 80s jem" with a volute, white UV777pbk binding, with glow in the dark side dots(this last bit is important later). Then, I had this mad idea to put a spell as an inlay down the fretboard, and actually went to finland for some reason to as a witch to make one (I mean, this was for hilarity, not because I believe in that shit). The design came back crap, so I changed tack, and decided to take inspiration from the necronomicon, and hit on the sigil of pazuzu, the lord of all fevers and plagues. Awesome, lets do that as it looks cool.

So, off it went, and it took them a good few months to build it (mainly as they had to send off the fretboard to someone else to do the ridiculous inlay). I eventually got it january 2005 (it has a build date of dec 2004) and then did my last european tour (for the first stint) with cradle with it. It was awesome, it played awesome too. I swapped out the edge pro for a lo pro (which apparently shouldn't have been possible).

The first show I played with it was in Greece, a fly show. It's at the point where I discovered two things:
                1) The bit of the inlay that your brain thinks is the 12th fret, is actually the 11th, so it fucks you up if you look at it
                2) Glow in the dark (white paint) inlays on white binding does not help you mitigate the bad thing in point 1 above.

It was a bit cringy, mishitting a few slides to upper registers as I had no idea where i was on it. So for the next show (day after) the guitar tech spent a good 1-2 hours slowly drilling out the centre of each side dot, and putting a little dot of black paint into it to make them cats eyes glow in the dark. This improved things dramatically. Except the bastard left on dot (above 24th fret, where's the 2), undone, to forever remind me of my idiocy.

I still have it, and love it to deaht, it's seen several world tours, been gigged, been on live dvds, videos, live performances, been recorded and has battle scars, had the strings pulled off at damn near every show at the end, but still, to this day sets up ridiculously well and is just amazing. Oh, at some point I put an x2n in it, and is THE best pickup for that guitar. It is awesome, and as far as 6 strings go, THE guitar I pick up when I want to have fun with that. It'll also always be my Home 6 string for gigging, it's just amazing, and nothing has come close to it.

Secondly, it's my first PWH. After I left CoF (the first time) I was a bit poor, and I'd decided I wanted to do a 7 string band. I figured I'd like another UV, and sold my matte black rgt2020 to fund it. Once I had the money, I went to ibanez rules, and lo, behold, rich had 2. I chose the one I liked the look of best, and ever since it arrived, it just became my Home guitar. Something about it. The neck I think was shaved down before I got it, and the pickups had been messed with a little with the raised pole pieces (they've been repotted once by me already in the past 17 years as ha gone microphonic) and it just played well out of the box, but, the thing that really draws me to this guitar is that it sounds a bit aggressive, has good cut on the bridge, but then the neck pickup, man, it is so woody and rich, it's a joy to play. I love this guitar, and pretty much most of my recording on 7s is done with it (although mostly lead these days). I've gigged it and played it to near death, and spent 14 years buying pwhs to find another like it until i finally got one that was damn close to it, which I use these days for rehearsals and playign as the old one needs a little TLC as doesn't set up as well as it used to.

Last edited by 7 Dying Trees; 08-01-2022, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Mine's not as interesting as everyone else's but...

Click image for larger version  Name:	69352257_2640258899351577_6548497487584296960_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=84a396&_nc_ohc=7oYRkmVV7-4AX-Q03U1&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel7-1.fna&oh=00_AT99f71mJxHCCsp0-uGFuvsb1Mk42_RxOgmI6ndNB0qS-A&oe=630C1557.jpg Views:	0 Size:	217.8 KB ID:	56776

...I mean, it's just a regular boring black Ibanez MIJ RG470, at least it started off as one when I got it for my birthday back in 99. It's my first real guitar (second electric guitar I ever owned), and only the body, neck, tuners and control knobs have remained stock, everything else has been modded to hell and back. Pickups replaced with Dimarzios (dual Breeds, Red Velvet middle), electronics gutted out (5 way switch probably changed abou 3-4 times over the years) and installed a Mad Hatter Terminator EVO system. Recently got it PLEKed and it plays beautifully. I'll probably end up putting stainless steel frets at some point in the future too.

A LUDICROUS amount of whammy bar abuse on the stock Lo TRS (one point I dropped the guitar, bar first and caught first bounce). It got so bad that one show I yanked the bar so hard, I pulled out the entire bridge off the guitar mid song. This rather disgraceful moment eventually forcing me to replace it with a Gotoh 1996T. The bridge was only available in chrome at the time, but it's so good and can take up so much abuse, I refuse to replace it unless I want the novelty of being all black.

Also a ridiculous amount of general abuse from both on and off stage antics too. Lots of battle scars (especially around the bridge), one of the pickup rings is cracked, and at one point during my early years doing a sideman for gospel Rnb shows, I was about to get onstage to 2000 people, I was so nervous I vomited all over the guitar. Disgusting, but I only had seconds before the set starts, so I immediately wiped all the vomit off, and got onstage as if nothing happened. I cleaned it up properly immediately after the gig, but my tech at the time still noticed some chunks the next day to which I can only respond with Homer Simpson levels of casual denial.

It's is still my best sounding guitar and continue to use it to this day. I've done a ton of mileage on this guitar; taken it to so many gigs, sessions, tours nation and world wide. And while I've amassed a collection that I use a lot depending on the gig, I'm always coming back to this 'boring black RG'.

Comment

Not sure if this is my best or my favorite currently, but it’s been with me the longest and has a bit of a story behind it-

My JEM7V, this is me with it about 6 months after I first got it in ‘97.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3F45E320-65B5-4AA9-9D14-1CA651679026.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	56788

(I’ve got another version of this picture that says “This guy fucks” on it, love it)

After seeing Vai at the G3 show when I was 14, I went absolutely apeshit for JEMs, specifically, the 7V. I used to sit at the kitchen table and just stare at the Ibanez catalog for hours, literally just staring at it and thinking of how I could get my hands on one. It was just my father and I living together at the time and he was barely keeping up on bills. In other words, it wasn’t in the realm of reason that I’d be able to obtain this guitar any time soon.

Then my father met a woman on AOL who lived in Staten Island. Her and my father started visiting each other and things got rather serious quite fast. Before long, the woman started talking about my father and I going to live in Staten Island, which I was not down with as I just started making friends in Nashua, NH after moving there the year prior. There was also this other little tidbit; she was married with two sons who were close to my age.

Well, they figured out the one way to get me to sell out my friends and to cave. If I agree to move to NYC, they’ll buy me the JEM. My bags were packed in 10 minutes. It wasn’t NYC that I didn’t want to experience, I thought it was awesome there, it was moving in with a fucking woman, her husband and two kids under false pretenses that I didn’t want to be a part of. Crazy that 14/15 year old me understood how fucked this was but my father had no reservations about putting either of us in that position as we were going to be living WITH them until my dad got his own place.

My first month there was rather rough; I was sharing a bedroom with her youngest son and keeping a pretty nasty secret. I got jumped my 2nd week there and I dreaded going to the school so much I was actually throwing up in the mornings, so around the 30 day mark I got a bit uppity and said “Ok, we’re here, I’m holding up my end of the deal, when are we getting the JEM?” My dad called Manny’s Music on 48th St and they had two in stock; one on the rack and one in storage that had never been touched. I wanted the one that had never been touched.

I took it home Christmas week of ‘97 and it’s been by my side ever since.

Name:	2FCAC453-61BE-4DE2-A232-444A8D7D4A4C.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	684.4 KB
ID:	56789

I swapped the Lo-Pro out for an Original Edge back in ‘99 or so because Vai was using an Edge on his and I had to be like Vai. I wouldn’t mind swapping it back for a Lo-Pro these days, but I’m not about to drop $350 on one. I also plan on swapping the Evolutions out for some PAF Pros. I actually just played the shit out of this over the weekend for the first time in a long time. It really plays GREAT, despite the abuse it’s been through. Only thing that really sucks is adjusting the truss rod is a two-man job; one to pull the headstock towards the floor while getting the tool over the nut and the other holding the body down flat. The idiot who re-fretted it a few years ago loosened the truss rod and never tightened it when he was done the fret work. It was such a shitty fret job that I was really discouraged and basically put it in it’s case for a year until I found someone I trusted to fix everything. By the time I pull it out, the truss rod nut sank into the cavity and the only way to adjust it now is by bending the headstock down to pull the wood away from it. A headstock that’s already been broken off twice.
                    The Karmic Law is not kismet. It is not fate but cause and effect. It is a taskmaster to the unwise; a servant to the wise.

Comment

Name:	IMG_20220801_151024_851.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	56798
                      ESP Horizon, I believe it's a 2004 because it's Northern White Ash which is unusual for Horizons (Normally Mahogany/Maple or Alder).

I wasn't in the market for a guitar but a friend was selling it for a ridiculous £400, so I immediately messaged him to take the ad down and that I'd take it unseen. As soon as I got it, I knew it had mojo and played better than any other guitar I've owned (I've been through countless Ibanez, Jackson, Charvel etc)

​​​​​This guitar is so great, it has convinced me that I actually don't need any new guitars, I only needed to change the tuners to Sperzels, add a Lok n Roll adjusted Nut, Fishman Classics, FU Tone PMS (now removed), Pickup Rings removed, Hantug Ti block, FU Tone Ti Saddle Blocks, Saddle Bolts and Clamp Bolts, Sure Claw & Cliplok

It'll probably get re-fretted at some point to stainless. I'm also vaguely pondering whether it could get True Temperament frets, but I'm concerned that might be too much of a change and actually ruin it's vibe.

Comment

Ol' Smokey is my main guitar these days.

It's a Marlboro Martin. I got in a trade for an SKB 8 space rack maybe 12 years ago. I had the rack unit posted, and a guy sends me an email asking if I want to trade for a "cowboy guitar". TF?

So, he sent a picture and I agreed to meet up with him in a grocery store parking lot. He hands me this thing, and it's pretty much unplayable because the action is way too high (even for me). I decided to go through with the trade.

I asked my friend Ryan to see if he could make it playable, and he did a great job setting it up. It's the cheapest guitar I own, and I will take it to the grave. I just love the damn thing.

Apparently you could only get one by collecting points from packs of Marlboro, so some motherfucker died for it.

Name:	DSC04885.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	56804

Comment

I am always telling people about my Wolfgang, how it is just magic. In many ways the Warmoth is similar, but to his point of "suprise" killer guitars nothing has ever been as much of a suprise as the Charvette I gave Lil Dave, it was my office guitar and I gave it to him and since then its become a Bumblebee replica with several trems and necks, and each time it just sounds WAY better than it has any right to sound. By all cork sniff logic it should sound shitty, but the damn thing rips.

"Slow Hand"

Comment

My 560

I got it back around 2016, when Ibby's from this era were coming back into vogue but were still pretty cheap. I paid 450 for this and the case it came with, and back then that didn't feel like that great a deal. I was also a little bit sketched out by the neck cracks (which I still haven't fixed, but seem to be holding up just fine), especially because I'd never bought a guitar this old before (this is an 87), and the guy selling it was all the way out in New Jersey. Ended up working out just fine, though.

The ad said it had an amazing clean tone, and although I've never pulled the singles to see what they actually are, it really does sound fantastic. Coincidentally this is also the heaviest RG I've ever held; a buddy of mine let my try his 652 a few years later and it was about 2/3 the weight.

I was going through a particularly bad point in my life when it showed up, and I'm convinced to this day that the week-long process of troubleshooting what should have been a dead simple pickup swap is why I'm still here. As it turned out, it was just a janky 30-year-old plastic switch that had melted instantly from the heat of my iron. I think Cam was the one who finally caught that. Still haven't felt the need to swap the Breed out.

I learned to alt pick on this guitar. I learned how to do proper vibrato on this guitar. I started learning shit by ear on this guitar. I broke my dumb little hands on this guitar, and then I learned how to play all over again on it.

The serial number also has 777 in it, so it feels extra lucky.

Last edited by T Gobbs; 08-02-2022, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lozek View Post

Name:	IMG_20220801_151024_851.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	56798

I wasn't in the market for a guitar but a friend was selling it for a ridiculous £400,
                              How much?!!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post

How much?!!
                                I know, I almost felt bad taking it at that price. Almost.

Although it has also ruined me, because now £1600 for something that doesn't even say ESP on the headstock seems criminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                  Ol' Smokey is my main guitar these days.

It's a Marlboro Martin. I got in a trade for an SKB 8 space rack maybe 12 years ago. I had the rack unit posted, and a guy sends me an email asking if I want to trade for a "cowboy guitar". TF?

So, he sent a picture and I agreed to meet up with him in a grocery store parking lot. He hands me this thing, and it's pretty much unplayable because the action is way too high (even for me). I decided to go through with the trade.

I asked my friend Ryan to see if he could make it playable, and he did a great job setting it up. It's the cheapest guitar I own, and I will take it to the grave. I just love the damn thing.

Apparently you could only get one by collecting points from packs of Marlboro, so some motherfucker died for it.

Name:	DSC04885.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	56804
                                  HOLD ON

Do you have a big giant 'stache now?!

*unzips*

Comment

While I'd like to say the green one, this is still my favorite guitar:
                                    2021-10-16_10-29-00 by SR, on Flickr

88/89 RG750VP. Serial number on the neckplate says 88, but these were 89 model year.

Bought at a pawnshop in 1994 with one of my first paychecks for (I think) $250 mint with the case.

It's had 4-5 sets of pickups over the years; Tone Zone & Air Norton(blue), Breeds(purple), Breeds(black), a Dean Baker Act, and currently an AT1 and 36th PAF.

Half dozen pickguards; swirl, plain black, treadplate, mirror, and mock carbon fiber.

Trem swapped to a Gotoh. neck refinished in tung oil. Like 3 level and recrowns over the years. Currently it's tuned to D standard, which seems to have given it a new lease on life. One of these days I'll get it refinished in like a matte silver sparkle or something that looks like raw aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

HOLD ON

Do you have a big giant 'stache now?!

*unzips*
                                      It's weird that you would take your hoodie off just because of my glorious facial hair.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

It's weird that you would take your hoodie off just because of my glorious facial hair.

Comment

This is seriously so cool to see and read - ranging from sentimental value to just sheer luck and mojo! I wish I had a cool story to share, but I sadly don't. It's definitely inspiring to read these though!

Comment

I've owned every white whale guitar I've wanted, I think.

1. Custom built singlecut entirely to my specs.
                                            2. PRS Custom 22 wraptail emerald green with birds.
                                            3. Les Paul Custom.

Now I need to actually get better as a player

Comment

Name:	PXL_20220806_160504777.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	57245

I guess I Have to post this one... I got it Early 1988 when they first came out. Its an 87 and was the only electric I had for a very long time.
                                              Its still hanging in there tho it could use a new 5 way and maybe pots.
                                              O K T H E N

Comment

I bought this ESP on hire purchase I think when I was 17, so I don't think the shop was even supposed to do that, but I managed to work off about half before my grandpa had to bail me out. He's been gone a while so there's that.
                                                I think the original trem rusted out after I lent it to a sweaty dude for literally one gig. Rory Gallagher acidity I guess.
                                                I got a pen pal in France a bit after and decided it was a good idea to get it air brushed with her art. Why not. It's sentimental but it's still an inanimate object so whatever.
                                                Haven't been in a band for ages, I think I played it post paint job once. But that's OK.
                                                I'm 30 now and it's still in decent shape. I'm not doing too bad either, ha... I know those pole pieces don't align with the strings and it hurts me too but I am poor

Comment

Originally posted by DingusMaximus View Post
                                                  I bought this ESP on hire purchase I think when I was 17, so I don't think the shop was even supposed to do that, but I managed to work off about half before my grandpa had to bail me out. He's been gone a while so there's that.
                                                  I think the original trem rusted out after I lent it to a sweaty dude for literally one gig. Rory Gallagher acidity I guess.
                                                  I got a pen pal in France a bit after and decided it was a good idea to get it air brushed with her art. Why not. It's sentimental but it's still an inanimate object so whatever.
                                                  Haven't been in a band for ages, I think I played it post paint job once. But that's OK.
                                                  I'm 30 now and it's still in decent shape. I'm not doing too bad either, ha... I know those pole pieces don't align with the strings and it hurts me too but I am poor
                                                  That looks awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X