Heavy gauge strings and Floyd rose nut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy gauge strings and Floyd rose nut?

Thinking of bumping up to a pretty heavy string gauge (like 12-60) to experiment with some new tunings on a 6-string like C standard or Drop A#. I know that’s a pretty big bump for a normal nut from a ”regular” gauge like 9-42 or 10-46 and there might be some filing required. My question is for any Floyd rose owners with locking nuts, have you had any issues using large gauge strings like this and the locking nut on a 6-string? If not I may just take one of my Floyd guitars and designate that specifically for this tuning to experiment with instead of having an existing nut filed.

I run pretty close to that on my JP16 (B standard) which has a floyd and I have no issues.

Comment

I have a 12-56 set on my RG760 and it's never been a problem - don't think the nut slots on 7-string Floyds are any different either (at least not that I could see) and there I used 10-60 and possibly even thicker strings.

Comment

That's one reason I have my '85 Soloist designated as my "downtuning" guitar. The Floyd nut means I don't have to worry about the nut slots being compatible with various string gauges. Go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by drache713 View Post
          Thinking of bumping up to a pretty heavy string gauge (like 12-60) to experiment with some new tunings on a 6-string like C standard or Drop A#. I know that’s a pretty big bump for a normal nut from a ”regular” gauge like 9-42 or 10-46 and there might be some filing required. My question is for any Floyd rose owners with locking nuts, have you had any issues using large gauge strings like this and the locking nut on a 6-string? If not I may just take one of my Floyd guitars and designate that specifically for this tuning to experiment with instead of having an existing nut filed.
          I've gone as heavy as a 68 on a seven string nut with no issues. And, I mean, even if it was a bit tight, normally your concern here is the string binding at the nut and going out of tune, but a Floyd nut is SUPPOSED to bind, thanks to the locking pads, so you should be fine.

Comment

[cunt]

I do Drop A# with a 10-52 NYXL set. That said...

[/cunt]

...I don't think I ever had an issue with bridge cables and Floyds, aside from needing to rework the bridge level. Those nuts are basically just gigantic V's compared to a normal nut, so you should be fine there, and I don't think you can buy a guitar string thick enough to not fit in the bridge saddle.

Comment

Working...
            X