P90 neck for metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P90 neck for metal

What has been your guys' experience with P90s in the neck? I really like the shred tone you can get out of a single coil, but I've never tried a P90. I'm starting a Suhr build, and part of me wants to try one, but the routing is so different I'll be committed.

I dig it, just gotta get it dialled in right.

Comment

I really like it. While not a traditional p90 I loved the bkp mississippi queen in the neck
      My blog and a spot to buy DIY valve amp & effect pedal PCBS www.aurora-audio.co.uk

Comment

That's good to hear. The PAF Pro is my favorite neck pickup, so I think this might be worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
          I really like it. While not a traditional p90 I loved the bkp mississippi queen in the neck
          I've heard good things about that, I might have to try one in a humbucker guitar sometimes. My main concern is just the route. I won't have a pickguard or anything, they'll be direct mounted, so if I decide I don't like the P90s I'm stuck with them.

But also, maybe its worth ordering a humbucker route with the Mississippi queen in it, and see if I like the P90, then I can always throw a humbucker in it if I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by beneharris View Post

I've heard good things about that, I might have to try one in a humbucker guitar sometimes. My main concern is just the route. I won't have a pickguard or anything, they'll be direct mounted, so if I decide I don't like the P90s I'm stuck with them.

But also, maybe its worth ordering a humbucker route with the Mississippi queen in it, and see if I like the P90, then I can always throw a humbucker in it if I don't.
            That was what I did and for the exact same reason.

One thing to note with the MQ is it can be very noisy
            My blog and a spot to buy DIY valve amp & effect pedal PCBS www.aurora-audio.co.uk

Comment

That was what I did and for the exact same reason.

One thing to note with the MQ is it can be very noisy
              Nice, thanks.

BKP has the Warpig in a P90, so I guess if I totally hate it, there are options out there to get something like what I normally use.

I really like the look of P90s, which is the only reason I'm hung up on this.

Comment

Crooks has done it in a 7. It's a good tone, for sure.

Comment

I like P90s so much I bought 2 baritones with them. It is kind of like the best parts of single coils and Humbuckers combined. Fantastic note definition and clarity plus plenty of dirt. Only downside is they can be pretty damn noisy but there are noiseless options available and my cheap noise gate clone works great. I may try a custom set of pickups... still exploring options on them.

They are pretty versatile and can do doom, djent and everything in between,

The neck pickup is very nice for leads or clean parts, but I much prefer the bridge for chugging and heavy rhythm.

O K T H E N

Comment

There are a few people making humbucker sized p90s you could always go with one of those and if you ended up not liking it then you would have an easier time just swapping in humbuckers.

http://​​​​​​​https://www.premierguitar.com/10-humbucker-sized-p-90s-you-should-try
                    O K T H E N

Comment

THIS IS MY FAVORITE SUBJECT

So, I can't say I haven't liked much of what I've tried, but then, when I go to the neck pickup, it's never for a "metal" sound, which, to say, would be tight. That said, for humbucker-sized P90's, I have the BKP Mississippi Queen in the neck of my LP, a SD Phat Cat in the neck of a mahogany tele, and some Railhammers in the necks of two others (Tel 90, and Nuevo 90). I miss the Railhammer Gnarly 90 I had in a guitar I sold, and should have pulled the pups from.

I also have two actual sets of P90's, both of which are sadly not installed... I have the Greg Koch Fishman set in my Camcaster, but haven't wired the bastard up yet (been playing lately more than tech'ing), and the set I pulled from it are sitting on my desk. However, they had a really cool vibe

Comment

P90s sound amazing for just about everything, but the noise is really bad. You'll need an excellent noise gate for any amount of gain.

I still sorta regret selling my Les Paul Special w/P90s to Noodles, but he actually uses it and I really didn't.

Comment

I never really had an issue with the noise. I suppose some hear it and it's just a part of the experience, and some can't unhear it and it drives them crazy

Comment

I believe its the Kinman noiseless P90s that get a great rep?

Also yeah P90s in a humbucker housing is an option.

Comment

I toured with an instrument equipped with a SD Phat Cat Neck and um, Dimebucker Bridge. The Phat Cat was great for liquidy solos and the odd clean section. One of my favorite sounds was the in-between section of a split bridge humbucker/P90 that sounded great. Eventually I ditched the combo and put 2 dual Bill/Becky L500s.

I've still got an RG with dual Phat Cats and a Hohner headless with BKP Supermassive/Miracle Man set if I wanted those sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon View Post
                                I never really had an issue with the noise. I suppose some hear it and it's just a part of the experience, and some can't unhear it and it drives them crazy
                                Could just be my context. I was playing through my AFX2, and the noise was almost as loud as the guitar sound, to the point that it was really tough to gate it out without things getting choppy. The signal/noise ratio will be better through a real amp unless you're in a place with a lot of interference generally, I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonplayer View Post
                                  I still sorta regret selling my Les Paul Special w/P90s to Noodles, but he actually uses it and I really didn't.
                                  Since he put the Wolfetones in it that thing is a beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post

Since he put the Wolfetones in it that thing is a beast.
                                    Everyone raves about Wolfe's P90s.. I think that is what he was really known for. I'd love to hear what his Meaner and Meanest pickups sound like, specifically the Meanest because you rarely ever hear about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post

Everyone raves about Wolfe's P90s.. I think that is what he was really known for. I'd love to hear what his Meaner and Meanest pickups sound like, specifically the Meanest because you rarely ever hear about them.
                                      I've got the Mean/Meaner set, and they sound fantastic. I think P90s are actually the best pickups he makes. The Meaner is already really hot, so I cannot see needing more output. Remember that P90s have three magnets (two standard width and one half width bar), so impedance isn't a good measurement of their output.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonplayer View Post

Could just be my context. I was playing through my AFX2, and the noise was almost as loud as the guitar sound, to the point that it was really tough to gate it out without things getting choppy. The signal/noise ratio will be better through a real amp unless you're in a place with a lot of interference generally, I suspect.
                                        Could you have had a noisy power supply? Most of my playing these days is through the Fractals, and my hbs-P90's are all pretty clear.

Comment

+1

Comment

I recently bought a Les Paul Jr type guitar (single P90) and I did a few upgrades. I was suitably impressed with the stacked Seymour Duncan P90 (STKP-1) that I bought for it. I hooked it up to a DPDT on/on/on switch, so it could be Series (humbucking) Parallel (P90 tone but noiseless) or Split (true P90 tone, ALL the noise!)

I know you're asking for a neck pickup, but if the bridge was anything to go by, it would be my first choice in a heartbeat. Very very impressed, sounded fantastic.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys. I am going to go forward with the P90 in the neck. Now to wait 12-18 months

Comment

I have a Rio Grande fat bastard in the neck of my S (paired to an old ass super distortion) and it's awesome. And yes, noisy

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys. I am going to go forward with the P90 in the neck. Now to wait 12-18 months
                                                  You made the right choice.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X