How do YOU lower action on a floyd rose? so you dont damage posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do YOU lower action on a floyd rose? so you dont damage posts

How do YOU change action on a Floyd Rose... so you wont damage the posts? I know of 3 ways to do it, i guess #3 is the "best" way but even with the "Tremolo Spring Installer" from stewmac its still a PITA.

1) Detune strings, then change action. retune and continue setup
    2) Dive bomb, change action, continue setup
    3) Remove springs/trem unit (while guitar is tuned/locked) change action then replace trem/springs and continue setup
    4) Fuck it, change action under tension?!

Also, bonus question. Does anyone lubricate their trem posts/knife edges. If so what are you using?

I’ve heard that the knife edges can get damaged adjusting the posts at tension, but that came some 20 years after I had already been doing at tension on an old ass Ibanez Edge trem that’s older than the guitar it’s actually on. I used to go full Vai-wannabe on that thing and the knife edges are still fine.
    The Karmic Law is not kismet. It is not fate but cause and effect. It is a taskmaster to the unwise; a servant to the wise.

Comment

I've only done it once, but I took all the tension off, made my big adjustment, then tuned, etc. and made finer adjustments/retuned from there. Hated every second of it - despise tinkering with FRs...
      Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

Comment

I just turn them I havent had an issue

Comment

I dont lose the strings to adjust it.

Also:

min 3.39 +/-

Exact same way i do it and he is much more qualified than I would ever be.

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron View Post
            Same. Zero issues, either on Ibanez Edge/Lo Pro trems, or OFRs. I think maybe the knife edges are a bit softer on some of the cheaper licensed trems so maybe that's a concern there, but I've never worried about them, and I've been doing this a LONG time now.

Comment

The knife edges of the baseplate, and the contact surface of the studs, are case hardened tool steel. They're designed to take abuse, especially considering that we rock the bridge back and forth while under string tension. Adjusting stud height is not more abusive than going full Vai on the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
                Same. Zero issues, either on Ibanez Edge/Lo Pro trems, or OFRs. I think maybe the knife edges are a bit softer on some of the cheaper licensed trems so maybe that's a concern there, but I've never worried about them, and I've been doing this a LONG time now.
                This is definitely where this guidance comes from. Having said that, the inferior trems are going to wear under normal use anyway.

Comment

I've never had a problem with this, either.

The only difficult/complicated thing about a Floyd for me is setting the intonation.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonplayer View Post

The only difficult/complicated thing about a Floyd for me is setting the intonation.
                    Yeah, without something like The Key it's a real bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonplayer View Post

I solved this by buying a bunch of guitars with high quality 2-point trems and never looking back. Of the ~15 guitars I have now, only 3 have trems that take me more than 10 minutes to intonate. And it's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

I solved this by buying a bunch of guitars with high quality 2-point trems and never looking back. Of the ~15 guitars I have now, only 3 have trems that take me more than 10 minutes to intonate. And it's awesome.
                        I did the same, except I replaced them with guitars with Hipshot fixed bridges.
                        Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

Comment

Originally posted by Iron1 View Post

I did the same, except I replaced them with guitars with Hipshot fixed bridges.

Comment

It depends on the tremolo. The German Floyds, and the older licensed Jackson tremolos have hardened knife edges, so you don't have to loosen the strings. Definitely loosen the strings for Specials and knockoffs. As a precaution, I loosen the strings for 1000s also. It's not a big deal to loosen the strings and get it back to pitch. So, it's a couple of minute task. To have the peace of mind, it's worth it to loosen the strings.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

I change string gauges infrequently enough than it's not an issue, plus I do own a Key set. I still prefer Floyds over non-locking trems.

Comment

Same for me. Never had any problem. And no, I don't lubricate.

Comment

I always LOOSEN ALL STRING TENSION and then turn a bit!!!

It's not that fucking difficult.

I dont wanna risk the posts/bridge edges.

Comment

A friend of mine had 2 Jackson Vs with 1000 series Floyds.
                                    And they 100% didnt stay in tune no matter what.

I asked him "when you lower/raise the bridge, do you loosen string tension? "NO" he said....

HE DEFIENITELY HAD RUINED ALL HIS FUCKING KNIFE EDGES.

I tried setting them up and I COULD NOT GET THEM TO RETURN TO ZERO.

Funny enough, ALL MY GUITARS returned to zero, so it's not that I dont know how to setup these things.

He simply DESTRYOYED THE KNIFE EDGES.

And it's not the only time I've encountered this.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazon_Stone View Post
                                      A friend of mine had 2 Jackson Vs with 1000 series Floyds.
                                      And they 100% didnt stay in tune no matter what.

I asked him "when you lower/raise the bridge, do you loosen string tension? "NO" he said....

HE DEFIENITELY HAD RUINED ALL HIS FUCKING KNIFE EDGES.

I tried setting them up and I COULD NOT GET THEM TO RETURN TO ZERO.

Funny enough, ALL MY GUITARS returned to zero, so it's not that I dont know how to setup these things.

He simply DESTRYOYED THE KNIFE EDGES.

And it's not the only time I've encountered this.
                                      My solution to this is to not have 1000 Series Floyds.

Comment

I would actually agree with that.
                                        None (!) of the 1000 series I have had my hands on have stayed in tune. Like any Specials.

German Originals and Gotohs however have amazing performance and stability!

I guess all 1000 series Floyds I've encountered had been defect? :p that have to tell SOMETHING about these bridges.

(AND YES THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMEBODY GOING "BUT MY 1000 SERIES WORKS GREAT DUURRRRR"........ Sure, but you bought the guitar 2 weeks ago )

Comment

Let me just add:

The guy who had 2 defect 1000 series, adjusted his Original Floyd Rose ESP the same way, and it STILL works after like 15+ years!!!
                                          While his 1000 series are ruined.

So even tho I PERSONALLY do not raise/lower with tension on (I wanna be safe!!) I guess OFRs can survive this abuse to some extent.
                                          But anything of even a little bit inferior quality will fall apart!

Comment

Cosigned. I've done the same thing since 1992 and I've yet to have any problems.

Comment

This... but mainly when lowering. If its going up more than a slight amount detune a bit to relieve some tension. Also use the proper allen key fully seated, loose key or in sloppy can contribute to messing the post head up.
                                              "Slow Hand"

Comment

Comment

Seems quite a few of you (myself included) are quite literally

Comment

Working...
                                                  X