Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing further mods to my Charvel - Need opinions on pickguard aesthetic

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Doing further mods to my Charvel - Need opinions on pickguard aesthetic

    Not revealing exactly what I'm doing yet, but just want to get a general consensus on the pickguard, as I will be making a new one to go on there.

    1-ply gloss?



    3-ply gloss



    Matte





    FWIW, control-wise, it'll be RG550 style. 1 vol, 1 tone, 3-way blade. Still with an H-S pickup config.
    35
    1-ply Gloss
    25.71%
    9
    3-Ply Gloss
    34.29%
    12
    Matte
    34.29%
    12
    noodles
    5.71%
    2
    Mattayus
    Sir Groove-A-Lot
    Last edited by Mattayus; 10-28-2021, 11:50 AM.

    #2
    3-ply gloss!!!

    The matte looks like a Rocka DIY hackjob

    Comment


      #3

      Comment


        #4
        Noodles?
        www.terra.band

        Comment


          #5
          Alternatively, Black/Green/Black. Because I know how easy that is to source.
          www.terra.band

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Blazon_Stone View Post
            3-ply gloss!!!

            The matte looks like a Rocka DIY hackjob
            How? It's literally the same as the others.

            Comment


              #7
              I don't like pickguards and I'm out of fucks to give.







              Kidding.

              ... Matte! 3 ply? No. There's no white at all on the guitar, so it doesn't "fit", IMO.



              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by playstopause View Post
                I don't like pickguards and I'm out of fucks to give.







                Kidding.

                ... Matte! 3 ply? No. There's no white at all on the guitar, so it doesn't "fit", IMO.


                True, but RG550's don't have any white on them (unless it's the white one, of course ) and they have 3-ply guards. This is what prompted me to make the 3-ply one when I did anyway. I wanted it to be more like an RG. But... I guess RG's just look like RG's, and this needs to look like a Charvel. I must admit it does look a little out of place.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I assume noodles represents the "faux carbon fiber look" option in this poll

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Mattayus View Post

                    True, but RG550's don't have any white on them (unless it's the white one, of course ) and they have 3-ply guards. This is what prompted me to make the 3-ply one when I did anyway. I wanted it to be more like an RG. But... I guess RG's just look like RG's, and this needs to look like a Charvel. I must admit it does look a little out of place.
                    Exactly. It seems to work on RG's, but seems out of place with the Charvel. My humble opinion!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Mattayus View Post

                      How? It's literally the same as the others.
                      The first two are gloss = looks better to MY preference

                      Matte looks like you took some random icecream package and reshaped it (I know because I HAVE icecream box plastic parts on a couple of my guitars)

                      Comment


                        #12
                        1 ply black gloss is the correct Charvel aesthetic.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          1 ply black gloss is the correct Charvel aesthetic.
                          Depends on the era I guess. The USA/MIJ era of 2008 onwards are all matte black, and just don't look right with anything else.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Blazon_Stone View Post

                            The first two are gloss = looks better to MY preference

                            Matte looks like you took some random icecream package and reshaped it (I know because I HAVE icecream box plastic parts on a couple of my guitars)
                            Despite the fact that that's batshit insane, I know what you mean. In some lights the matte black does look kinda... cheap?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Doesnt help with the unbeveled edges.
                              I dont know why Charvel put unbeveled pickguards on their guitars... It looks unfinished

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Originally posted by Mattayus View Post

                                Depends on the era I guess. The USA/MIJ era of 2008 onwards are all matte black, and just don't look right with anything else.
                                "Charvel" in this case not meaning "Fender with a Charvel logo on the headstock".

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                                  Noodles?
                                  No, it's always "noodles" not "Noodles" since I'm not tall enough to warrant capital letters.

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by noodles View Post

                                    No, it's always "noodles" not "Noodles" since I'm not tall enough to warrant capital letters.
                                    Y'know... I'd never noticed that, but it makes sense.
                                    www.terra.band

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                      1 ply black gloss is the correct Charvel aesthetic.
                                      Also, most of the "model" era ones were 3ply B/W/B I think? Were they doing 1-ply before then?

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        Originally posted by Mattayus View Post

                                        Also, most of the "model" era ones were 3ply B/W/B I think? Were they doing 1-ply before then?
                                        Lots of the USAs had 1 ply, IIRC.

                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          1-ply matte black with beveled edges, or carbon fibre. More carbon fibre is never bad.

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            I hate how in the light one can see how the single-ply gloss pickguard is distorting around the screwholes. Plus, Ced is correct, the edges have to be bevelled or the Argos catalogue aesthetic starts to take over.

                                            Comment


                                              #23
                                              I'm actually leaning towards the 3-Ply gloss I never thought I'd say that. I didn't like it when I had it on there before (it didn't stay on for long) but once you see what I have in mind I think you'll see that it's probably the best option...

                                              Comment


                                                #24
                                                It goes quite well with the RG/Strat-style volume knob in black with white.

                                                Comment


                                                  #25
                                                  Originally posted by Mattayus View Post
                                                  I'm actually leaning towards the 3-Ply gloss I never thought I'd say that. I didn't like it when I had it on there before (it didn't stay on for long) but once you see what I have in mind I think you'll see that it's probably the best option...
                                                  Are you saying we don't have all the informations?!?

                                                  Comment

                                                  Working...
                                                  X