Doing further mods to my Charvel - Need opinions on pickguard aesthetic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing further mods to my Charvel - Need opinions on pickguard aesthetic

Not revealing exactly what I'm doing yet, but just want to get a general consensus on the pickguard, as I will be making a new one to go on there.

1-ply gloss?

3-ply gloss

Matte

FWIW, control-wise, it'll be RG550 style. 1 vol, 1 tone, 3-way blade. Still with an H-S pickup config.
    1-ply Gloss
    25.71%
    3-Ply Gloss
    34.29%
    Matte
    34.29%
    noodles
    5.71%
    Mattayus
    Sir Groove-A-Lot
    Last edited by Mattayus; 10-28-2021, 11:50 AM.

3-ply gloss!!!

The matte looks like a Rocka DIY hackjob

Comment

Comment

Noodles?
        www.terra.band

Comment

Alternatively, Black/Green/Black. Because I know how easy that is to source.
          www.terra.band

Comment

Originally posted by Blazon_Stone View Post
            3-ply gloss!!!

The matte looks like a Rocka DIY hackjob
            How? It's literally the same as the others.

Comment

I don't like pickguards and I'm out of fucks to give.

Kidding.

... Matte! 3 ply? No. There's no white at all on the guitar, so it doesn't "fit", IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by playstopause View Post
                I don't like pickguards and I'm out of fucks to give.

Kidding.

... Matte! 3 ply? No. There's no white at all on the guitar, so it doesn't "fit", IMO.

True, but RG550's don't have any white on them (unless it's the white one, of course ) and they have 3-ply guards. This is what prompted me to make the 3-ply one when I did anyway. I wanted it to be more like an RG. But... I guess RG's just look like RG's, and this needs to look like a Charvel. I must admit it does look a little out of place.

Comment

I assume noodles represents the "faux carbon fiber look" option in this poll

Comment

Originally posted by Mattayus View Post

True, but RG550's don't have any white on them (unless it's the white one, of course ) and they have 3-ply guards. This is what prompted me to make the 3-ply one when I did anyway. I wanted it to be more like an RG. But... I guess RG's just look like RG's, and this needs to look like a Charvel. I must admit it does look a little out of place.
                    Exactly. It seems to work on RG's, but seems out of place with the Charvel. My humble opinion!

Comment

How? It's literally the same as the others.
                      The first two are gloss = looks better to MY preference

Matte looks like you took some random icecream package and reshaped it (I know because I HAVE icecream box plastic parts on a couple of my guitars)

Comment

1 ply black gloss is the correct Charvel aesthetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          Depends on the era I guess. The USA/MIJ era of 2008 onwards are all matte black, and just don't look right with anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazon_Stone View Post

The first two are gloss = looks better to MY preference

Matte looks like you took some random icecream package and reshaped it (I know because I HAVE icecream box plastic parts on a couple of my guitars)
                            Despite the fact that that's batshit insane, I know what you mean. In some lights the matte black does look kinda... cheap?

Comment

Doesnt help with the unbeveled edges.
                              I dont know why Charvel put unbeveled pickguards on their guitars... It looks unfinished

Comment

Depends on the era I guess. The USA/MIJ era of 2008 onwards are all matte black, and just don't look right with anything else.
                                "Charvel" in this case not meaning "Fender with a Charvel logo on the headstock".

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                                  Noodles?
                                  No, it's always "noodles" not "Noodles" since I'm not tall enough to warrant capital letters.

Comment

Originally posted by noodles View Post

No, it's always "noodles" not "Noodles" since I'm not tall enough to warrant capital letters.
                                    Y'know... I'd never noticed that, but it makes sense.
                                    www.terra.band

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                      Also, most of the "model" era ones were 3ply B/W/B I think? Were they doing 1-ply before then?

Comment

Also, most of the "model" era ones were 3ply B/W/B I think? Were they doing 1-ply before then?
                                        Lots of the USAs had 1 ply, IIRC.

Comment

1-ply matte black with beveled edges, or carbon fibre. More carbon fibre is never bad.

Comment

I hate how in the light one can see how the single-ply gloss pickguard is distorting around the screwholes. Plus, Ced is correct, the edges have to be bevelled or the Argos catalogue aesthetic starts to take over.

Comment

I'm actually leaning towards the 3-Ply gloss I never thought I'd say that. I didn't like it when I had it on there before (it didn't stay on for long) but once you see what I have in mind I think you'll see that it's probably the best option...

Comment

It goes quite well with the RG/Strat-style volume knob in black with white.

Comment

I'm actually leaning towards the 3-Ply gloss I never thought I'd say that. I didn't like it when I had it on there before (it didn't stay on for long) but once you see what I have in mind I think you'll see that it's probably the best option...
                                                  Are you saying we don't have all the informations?!?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X