Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocka failing as shit at building guitar

Fuck this shit!!!!
    I was thinking "oh, I can build guitar, oh, I'm awesome, oh, look at me, mister GUITAR BUILDER MASTER LUTHIER"

And here I am with a nice 5-piece blank ruined by yours truly

FIRST PROBLEM:
    I knew I had to rout the neck in different heights/levels with router bits. I HAVE DIFFERENT BITS.
    But I also thought "hehehe, fuck that, I will just use one larger bit and get everything DONE FASTER!!!"

Headstock "ball" goes: I'm FREEEEEEE

SECOND PROBLEM:
    When the first disaster was a fact, I thought why not "redesign" the headstock a bit. I went for a "Solar-ish" headstock design.
    BUT FIRST... Let's PLANE IT DOWN TO 1.4MM!!!!

So I HAVE clamps and double sided tape nearby. WHY USE THOSE WHEN I CAN JUST BUILD UP A FEW MDF-PIECES AND HAVE THEM WOBBLE AROUND AS I CHAOTICALLY TRY TO PLANE THE WOOD?!?!?!

Attached Files

So I will NOT CONTINUE this fucking guitar build until... I dont know!!!

I feel like worst person ever right now, why did I do this! Ruin a perfectly fine 5-piece blank for what, this? It's embarresing!!

I dont have the right place to work on this, I dont have the skills or patience, so what did I think was gonna happen!

BAh... I just have to BUY a guitar instead like a complete loser

Comment

Why not continue? Even if its a fucked up one to just be wall hang. You will learn much more by continuing then just quitting.

Comment

Vintage "what a fuck" era Rocka content. 💯

Comment

All of these seem fixable ced. If you've reshaped the headstock and can't glue the broken piece on, that's not too big an issue.

Flatten the headstock with a router sled. If its too thin after put a cool veneer on it.

Keep going ✊

There are better builders on here than you and I, but I don't see anything here that can't be salvaged.

Comment

Ced, the new headstock looks great. Be careful if you make a router table. I made one and it felt much more dangerous than holding the router. Be careful 👍

Comment

Adan saw my update on my band Facebook page where I also update about this!!!

So, I had to RESHAPE and I'm BACK ON TRACK!

So, it will look curiously similar to... A Salor guitar? Sular? I dont know.
              NOW I KNOW! A YAMAHA!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	251300864_4643147275774042_625363114337801317_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=kPnPzbZd6i0AX8KW_cZ&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-1.xx&oh=e0ce5dd3a0e5daed12d049f8d298a5b2&oe=61A47384.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	31301

Click image for larger version

Name:	251334991_4643147325774037_2734882303762074262_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=3Vlc2qGtocEAX8woTai&_nc_oc=AQmFKU0fr3qiqV_0QW0Kx_1UXyf4jEGckYvRusbKknq_mTLmLp7xJOUiXviiFmDg9DA&tn=htYgmx20jH9QD_Px&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2
Views:	138
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	31300

Comment

Is that blank from G&W? I bought a bubinga one like that from them, and it was great quality. They also did a 10` scarf cut. Which made it really easy for me seeing as it was my first home made neck.
                Attached Files

Comment

Wait wait wait. If anyone is qualified to glue that headstock back together, it's you rocka.

You'll get it built. 👌

Comment

Actually that's looking really good!

Comment

Hell yeah, man!

No more of that "loser" shit, you're not a loser, dude. Most people don't have the balls to even attempt a build like this, stop being so hard on yourself. Just take your time and consider all your decisions and possible outcomes before you move ahead with them. You're going to fuckin' rock this, man!

The Karmic Law is not kismet. It is not fate but cause and effect. It is a taskmaster to the unwise; a servant to the wise.

Comment

thanks guys yeah im no loser but I felt shit at first for making this mistake and now I feel RRORAAARRRRR !!!

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                        Is that blank from G&W? I bought a bubinga one like that from them, and it was great quality. They also did a 10` scarf cut. Which made it really easy for me seeing as it was my first home made neck.
                        YES! It is!!

Wow, they make SCARF JOINT CUTS?!?!?!? Wtf. I didn't know that.

That changes EVERYTHING. Because of course I wanna make angled headstocks (I wanna make the classic Jackson pointy headstock) but yeah, scarf joints are tricky stuff!!!

I might wanna try practicing a scarf joint cut on a cheap plank, but if G&W does it on request, I have no reason to NOT ask them for my next order!

Because while I have 2 guitars in the works here, I will buy more woods for MORE GUITARS soooooooon

Comment

The more guitars to build = THE BETTER

Comment

Originally posted by Blazon_Stone View Post
                            thanks guys yeah im no loser but I felt shit at first for making this mistake and now I feel RRORAAARRRRR !!!

YES! It is!!

Wow, they make SCARF JOINT CUTS?!?!?!? Wtf. I didn't know that.

That changes EVERYTHING. Because of course I wanna make angled headstocks (I wanna make the classic Jackson pointy headstock) but yeah, scarf joints are tricky stuff!!!

I might wanna try practicing a scarf joint cut on a cheap plank, but if G&W does it on request, I have no reason to NOT ask them for my next order!

Because while I have 2 guitars in the works here, I will buy more woods for MORE GUITARS soooooooon
                            I think it's an extra €10 roughly. It wasn't much at all. If you need a specific dimensions, you can tell them the size your headstock will be so they can make sure they cut it the right size (6 or 7 online headstocks etc.) . You can select the angle between 10-15 degrees too. Heck, for a little extra you can change the woods. I was going to get another made that was wenge/maple/wenge/maple/wenge.

Comment

Looks good to me. Everyone needs one to start on so they make all the mistakes, learn from them, then make the second one great. You got this Ced.
                              Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

Comment

Keep getting experience, maybe one day I will get one from you

Comment

Everyone on this forum should buy a Rocka Guitar.

It's your DESTINEY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post

I think it's an extra €10 roughly. It wasn't much at all. If you need a specific dimensions, you can tell them the size your headstock will be so they can make sure they cut it the right size (6 or 7 online headstocks etc.) . You can select the angle between 10-15 degrees too. Heck, for a little extra you can change the woods. I was going to get another made that was wenge/maple/wenge/maple/wenge.
                                    If I need a "Jackson headstock" can I ask them to make the angled headstock blank part WIDER?
                                    Becuaes a Jackson headstock would need more wood than a regular wide neck blacjnk

Comment

Everyone on this forum should buy a Rocka Guitar.

It's your DESTINEY!!!
                                      And every Rocka should buy spellcheck.

Comment

I notied that mispelling before hitting "post reply" but I thought it looked funny, like when some dorks say "PARTEY!"

Comment

I notied that mispelling before hitting "post reply" but I thought it looked funny, like when some dorks say "PARTEY!"

Comment

"Slow Hand"

Comment

If I need a "Jackson headstock" can I ask them to make the angled headstock blank part WIDER?
                                              Becuaes a Jackson headstock would need more wood than a regular wide neck blacjnk
                                              I *think* the limit is 90mm if they are doing a scarf joint as that's the width of their saws. You could always glue some wings on the side of the headstock if you need it wider

Comment

YEah I would just gluemyself its not THAT hard

But the SCARF JOINT no pliis.

But at some point I would actually like to TRY making a scarf joint. On some fucking crap 2cm thick plank from some garden store.

But still I have really no tools for this shit anyway

Guitarsandwoods can do this for me and I will can have FUN

Comment

Look to get a used bandsaw off ebay if you can. That and a router we're the most useful tools for me. Plus a good flat straight levelling beam was a must.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X