EBMM John Petrucci 8 String Majesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goddamnit, I just bought an 8 string two weeks ago

I think it’s interesting they went with the 12th fret parallel here just like my Ibanez 8 instead of a less-wild fan design. I love the Ibby I picked up, and I have a BKP bridge pickup on order for it to clean it up a bit, but one thing I find odd about this fan fret design is that my hand has to rest on the nut from the lighter strings to play on the first or second fret on the 7th or 8th string. It’s not terrible, but it’s unusual, and I would probably prefer an 8 string with a parallel 9th fret or something less crazy just for better lower fret access.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

Cool playing and all but this is just more Democore. Impressive democore but still nothing that the average non-guitarist would really ever want to listen to.
      Democore?

Ihsahn solo stuff is really solid, IMO. Have a listen!

Comment

As much as Chris hates djent, I had a feeling he'd hate Ihsahn's stuff even more. I have no idea what "democore" is. That song is a masterpiece.

There are a few spots that the 8 string works, I'll concede. But I attest that once again that song could be done on a detuned seven string just as easily.

Also linking me a boring generic djent song from the premier djent band as an example isn't really helping the case.
        There's nothing generic or boring about that song, but taste is subjective and you have a reputation for hating anything that has been labeled "djent," so I'm not surprised that it's not your cup of tea. I specifically picked a song that cannot be done on a detuned seven string since a song by, say, Meshuggah, you would have argued could just be done on a detuned seven string or six string. You'd have more of an argument there, though technically it wouldn't be correct.

Still, if you're going to claim that that song could be done on a detuned seven string, then you could claim that any seven string song could just be done on a detuned six string. You'd be wrong, but you could make that claim just as easily as you're making it about that song. And, while most of the songs I write cannot be played on a detuned six string (either because of the range used or because of the intervals between the open strings), I will say that SOME of the songs that I write on seven strings COULD have been played on a detuned seven string, but so what?

Comment

That song sounds like every other djent song that Periphery has done. You literally linked me a djent song from THE premier djent band, and now your argument is that "ah-ha! Of course you'd say it's too djenty!"

I am a huge EBMM nut but this guitar sucks and 8 strings are still gimmicks IMO.

Comment

Holy crap, I just read these are $4200! F that

Comment

Unpopular opinion: I think the Majesty looks better as a fanned 8 than it does as a single scale 6 or 7. It's a weird alien kinda shape and the body looks oversized, especially as a 6-string. Beefier neck, fixed bridge and a solid/chameleon finish just looks better to me with that funky asymmetrical body shape. :2c:

Comment

Originally posted by desertdweller View Post
                Holy crap, I just read these are $4200! F that
                Sterling countdown engaged!

Comment

That song sounds like every other djent song that Periphery has done. You literally linked me a djent song from THE premier djent band, and now your argument is that "ah-ha! Of course you'd say it's too djenty!"
                  I mean, it sounds like them, no doubt, but it uses all 8 strings quite skillfully and melodically. I think it's an amazing song and I happen to be (probably) one of the few guys on this site who really likes Spencer's vocals, but I also hate King Diamond's vocals, so our tastes in music are definitely quite different.

I could post technical death metal (that isn't djenty at all) that uses 8 strings, some instrumental stuff that uses 8 strings, some mathcore that uses 8 strings, some melodic death metal that uses 8 strings. But I don't really think anything I could share would make you change your mind. And even if I did, you might just be like "Oh, so there's 1 good 8 string song" when I could do a list of "Top 100 best 8 string songs" according to my own tastes.

I am a huge EBMM nut but this guitar sucks and 8 strings are still gimmicks IMO.
                  I love the regular John Petrucci signatures, but I've never really been much of a fan of the Majesty. Like Randy, I think it looks a bit better balanced as an 8, but I don't think the 6, 7, or 8 look particularly good.

Comment

Just went back to look at the OP for the pic and it struck me:

They've buried the shovel!

Seriously, look! It's gone!

Originally posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	rujhn2qekycwynfcsvlm.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	26626
                    Further points: I know headstocks have become very important for tradmark law reasons, but the EBMM one looks stupid on this guitar and those long string runs after the nut are bad for all sorts of reasons apparent to anyone with a smidgen of nous. FFS, this isn't a BC Rich where the headstock at least looks rad and pointy (or like the silhouette of a worryingly symmetrical ballsack depending on your perspective). Yo, BigPoppa, check your head(stock)! Get a modern design to suit the modern guitar you've stuck it on! This one was fine to secure that Steve Morse endorsement in the 80s where he was still flying himself about and needed something he could fit in the overheads. :mad3:

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                      I don't think I have to apologize for enjoying what this man does.
                      The verse riff sounds a lot like what happened when I tried playing my phone number on the E-string. Ihsahn is cool though -I should give more of his stuff a listen (I own The Adversary, which is more black metal than this).

Comment

The square shaped inlay at the 1st fret looks weird against the angled 1st fret to me. It really throws off the flow of the design for me, that and the headstock
                        ​​​​​. Everything after that first fret is cool though. The majesty line really grew on me after its initial release.

Comment

Big Night Verses fan here

Comment

^

He could have done that on a up-tuned bass.

Comment

"Slow Hand"

Comment

That was extremely cool, but IMO it would have been much better if he let the bass do the low bits instead of the 8 string. That's what bass is for, so guitarists don't have to play janky sounding instruments like this.

I liked this medley until the 1:10 mark when it just deteriorated into Generic Djent Riffs.

Comment

that was by far the best demo i saw for this.
                                  O K T H E N

Comment

Originally posted by playstopause View Post
                                    ^

He could have done that on a up-tuned bass.
                                    I mean, he might not do it in that demo but the guy uses the full scale of his instrument in their actual music

Comment

Looks like a nice instrument. EBMM makes good guitars. Not for me but for $4200 and with only 100 made I'm sure they'll be collector's items someday.

Comment

Right, and everywhere he descends to the useless F# all I can hear is "oh, this is an 8 string song" instead of "What a rad riff". Like 8:24 or so. Allow me to tab it out for you .

2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
                                        0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
                                        5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
                                        5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
                                        0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

"He's using an 8 here" doesn't translate to "this is the right tool for the job". I stand by my claim, 8 strings are stupid and F# never sounds good on a guitar. I know we all can't stand useless bass players but at the end of the day those mooching, couch-surfing, never-picking-up-a-bar-tab bastards are still necessary.

Comment

I can’t even stand a 7 tuned to drop A anymore. Dunno if it’s because I’ve joined the old person club or what, but all my guitars are in standard now, aside from the PRS which is currently in drop D because it sounds amazing in that tuning.
                                          Leon Today at 7:59 PM: Ripping farts is heaven

Comment

Night verses went to 8's? Hm.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                                              The square shaped inlay at the 1st fret looks weird against the angled 1st fret to me. It really throws off the flow of the design for me, that and the headstock
                                              ​​​​​. Everything after that first fret is cool though. The majesty line really grew on me after its initial release.
                                              The top horn looks like a banana to me and I just can’t get past it.

Comment

Definitely not for me but it’s cool Petrucci is always expanding his line.

I saw an Ibanez M80 (the cheap Meshuggah sig, can’t remember if that’s the model name or not) pop up for $1200 locally and I considered it for about 10 seconds. I’ve never felt the need to go lower than A on a 7-string and then I’d have to buy a bass to get down as low as an F# and fuck that.
                                                The Karmic Law is not kismet. It is not fate but cause and effect. It is a taskmaster to the unwise; a servant to the wise.

Comment

DonBot has one of those, iirc.

Comment

The real guy I want to see play an 8 String Again.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X