NGD: "White Whale."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NGD: "White Whale."

When was the last time you saw one of these?

Ibanez RG1527 MZ (Zero Trem) in Galaxy White.
    I've always wanted one of these and praise God I finally found one! The necks on these are just perfect.

The fret job feels flawless on it, can barely feel the frets on the side.

Someone put the Dimarzio Imperium's (Dave Davidson's Pickups of Revocation) and I am not a fan. Too many mids and it sounds like "Djent."

Does anyone have a recommendation of pickups that would make this Basswood 7 string have the ability to have ability to pinch high harmonics like Lynch but have the ruthless low end like Loomis or John Petrucci on Awake. I was thinking about snagging a Cold Sweat set like Broderick?

Thanks for looking guys, have a great weekend and God Bless!

P.S.

Yes I will make a video with the SLO using it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1901.jpg Views:	5 Size:	306.5 KB ID:	25280
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ghost.; 09-03-2021, 07:59 PM.

Nice, I didn't know 1527's even came in white.

Comment

I'm not a big Duncan fan, but the Distortion sounds like a good option.

Comment

Have you thought about doing a PAF 7? Those are way underrated pickups.

Comment

Very nice!

Why not a set of Dimarzio Blazes (Blaze Custom in the bridge)? It's the classic for a 7-string RG.

Comment

Originally posted by Budda View Post
            Nice, I didn't know 1527's even came in white.
            Oh yeah man! Very limited run when they did them. Hard to find. This is the first one I've ever played.

Toshiro I'll look into that!

beneharris Never have but I feel like that's not the first time I've heard that.

jacksonplayer I was never crazy about Vai's tone with them. I could be wrong. What did Petrucci use with them?

Comment

BKP Miracle Man all the way. They are awesome in basswood. Awesome score dude!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                BKP Miracle Man all the way. They are awesome in basswood. Awesome score dude!
                Cheers Chris! Yeah, I just saw where had a guitar with one? They really work?

Wasn't that pickup designed to be like Zakk Wylde's tone?

EDIT:

Actually, this sounds quite tasty of an idea: "Particularly well suited to single cut solid-body/glued neck guitars or heavier bodied guitars that need a brighter tone with less pronounced mid range." BKP's site.

Comment

I've got a Miracle Man in a 7 string as well, and it does rule. As long as you don't mind the added cost.

Comment

Originally posted by beneharris View Post
                    Have you thought about doing a PAF 7? Those are way underrated pickups.
                    I really dug the paf 7 that came in the prestige I had

Comment

Looks great? These were pretty limited yeah? I remember them being around very briefly

Comment

Originally posted by Dbwells View Post

I really dug the paf 7 that came in the prestige I had
                        Yeah, that's what I've got them in right now. They definitely are better than you would think being OEM stock pickups. I've got some BKP Black Dogs in another 7 string, which I think are supposed to be similar, and they're definitely not the BKP markup better than the PAF 7.

Comment

Isn't this what Nili Brosh played when she was with T-Mac?

Always thought the white and maple looked rad.

Originally posted by Ghost. View Post
                          When was the last time you saw one of these?
                          Only a few months ago, as a matter of fact, second hand somewhere. Giving me brief pause for thought over buying. I think I spec-snobbed out of going for it over the non-matching headstock in the end.

Comment

Nice score! I'm not a maple fretboard guy, but I'd definitely hit that! Such a great looking guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost. View Post

Cheers Chris! Yeah, I just saw where had a guitar with one? They really work?

Wasn't that pickup designed to be like Zakk Wylde's tone?

EDIT:

Actually, this sounds quite tasty of an idea: "Particularly well suited to single cut solid-body/glued neck guitars or heavier bodied guitars that need a brighter tone with less pronounced mid range." BKP's site.
                              One of the best 7s I've ever owned was a 7620 with a MM in the bridge. I have a MM in my mystic dream JP6 too. I really like them, not too high gain like the Aftermath and not quite as nasal as the Cold Sweat. As a bonus, if you don't like it they're super easy to sell off at close to what you paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                Nice score! I'm not a maple fretboard guy, but I'd definitely hit that! Such a great looking guitar.
                                wtf? That's like saying "I don't like coffee", or "I didn't cry when Apollo Creed died".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 11.12.51 PM.png
Views:	155
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	25325

Comment

wtf? That's like saying "I don't like coffee", or "I didn't cry when Apollo Creed died".
                                  Apollo who?

It's nothing like that. I've met someone who doesn't like coffee, and that's much more rare than disliking maple fretboards.

I have one on my Chibanez, and I suffer through it when I decide to play it, but I refuse to enjoy it

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

Apollo who?

It's nothing like that. I've met someone who doesn't like coffee, and that's much more rare than disliking maple fretboards.

I have one on my Chibanez, and I suffer through it when I decide to play it, but I refuse to enjoy it
                                    I'm guessing the board on that Chibanez wasn't exactly hand picked from a pile of top tier old growth.

Maple boards are awesome, you heretic!

Comment

I'm guessing the board on that Chibanez wasn't exactly hand picked from a pile of top tier old growth.

Maple boards are awesome, you heretic!
                                      Oh? What's your current ratio of Maple to All The Better Options?

Definitely right about the Chibanez, but my disdain of Maple goes back many, many, many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic View Post
                                        Isn't this what Nili Brosh played when she was with T-Mac?

Always thought the white and maple looked rad.

Only a few months ago, as a matter of fact, second hand somewhere. Giving me brief pause for thought over buying. I think I spec-snobbed out of going for it over the non-matching headstock in the end.
                                        Don't forget Romeo doesn't have a matching headstock either and his Caparison looks wicked!

Neither did Criss Oliva with his white Charvel. Both iconic guitars for them.

Comment

Ken Thanks mate! Haha.

Chris Tremendous comparison.

Sweet man! I'll think about it. I've never considered that would work based on the name and associating Les Paul's with that pickup.

Comment

Nice score! Agreed they're great guitars. I bought one with the Edge Pro when I was in Kyoto 11 years ago on a Golden Week sale and still remains one of my main 7s.

Name:	36875_121249874585838_6765848_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=de6eea&_nc_ohc=sMdmj9nYFwkAX8xcYVi&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel8-1.fna&oh=f05cb3003896d36a9591d9da9754ef53&oe=6159FF96.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	25367

As for pickups.... the Blaze pair are still great pickups for basswood. Pretty sure Petrucci was using them stock on a UV during Awake. Oddly I grew out of the Blaze Custom and replaced it with an Evo7, which like it's 6 string counterpart, roars, crushes and has harmonics pop out whenever you look at them. I have the Blaze neck/Evo7 on mine and kept them since.

On the BKP corner, I haven't tried the Miracle Man 7 but have the 6 version on a Hohner paddle and they're great. Similar to Evos just differently nuanced; not too hot or nasal as Chris said. Tried the Cold Sweat neck and admittedly the jury is still out on that one, but the bridge may be a different story. Nailbombs maybe good? Didn't Broderick use a Nailbomb/Coldsweat combo?

Comment

Oblig.

Name:	white-whale-holy-grail-canvas.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	656.9 KB
ID:	25377

Comment

Pure class. congrats!

Comment

Sweeeeeet. Always loved the look of those. Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X