NGD: An F and an EADGBE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NGD: An F and an EADGBE...

Didn't want to post this on the old place, so here it is.

It was pretty easy to find guitars to buy cheap, fix up and flip in Corpus. Tons of people buying guitars, playing for two weeks, hitting that struggle bus barrier everyone hits, then selling them for way less than they paid.

But, here in MN, people are more savvy and the competition for buying used gear more fierce. So, I've missed out on a few deals, but landed this a few days ago for dirt cheap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kzq2thjr259vvfzuwmit.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	252
    LTD F-100FM

It was pretty dirty, but after an hour of cleanup it's actually surprisingly nice. Once I got it cleaned I tossed it up on Reverb to flip, but have enjoyed playing it in the meantime.

Then, the same day, a really cool friend of mine sent me a sweet surprise in the mail:

Pleasantly surprised with the LTD, this one is pretty sweet quality for a cheap guitar. And, cross-checking the PitchBlack against my other tuners made me more confident in the Snark that's my go-to.

Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

Ha, nice! First NGD in the new place, too. I've always had a bit of a guilty pleasure thing for those things, they're ridiculously over-the-top "metal" but actually look kind of cool whereas usually that sort of thing just looks cheesy.

Can't really tell in the pic, but I assume that's an ebony board reflecting light, and not maple?

Comment

I like these guitars. I remember the other guitarist in my high school band getting one of these and being super surprised at how nice it played and sounded.
      Leon Today at 7:59 PM: Ripping farts is heaven

Comment

There's something about the South and selling guitars at a loss. Even if you just go to Richmond from here there's a shitload more guitars just being unloaded, whereas here it's all "my Les Paul Tribute is in perfect condition and they don't make this color anymore, so I'm charging full retail for it".

Nice score - those are way more comfortable that the OTT looks suggest

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post

Can't really tell in the pic, but I assume that's an ebony board reflecting light, and not maple?
          According to LTD it's Rosewood - and according to my eyeballs, I agree.

Originally posted by zepp View Post
          I like these guitars. I remember the other guitarist in my high school band getting one of these and being super surprised at how nice it played and sounded.
          I was too. Always sort of been interested in the body style, but never seen one in person before. I'd have totally played this on stage back in the day. Definitely could use better pickups, but that's easy.

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          There's something about the South and selling guitars at a loss. Even if you just go to Richmond from here there's a shitload more guitars just being unloaded, whereas here it's all "my Les Paul Tribute is in perfect condition and they don't make this color anymore, so I'm charging full retail for it".

Yeah, in South Texas I could buy Bronze series Warlocks all day for under $100 (got one for $25). Tried to land one here a week ago and the guy wanted $200 and someone else paid it. They sell on Reverb for $150... Then I tried to grab one of the white swirl SLX models from a guy who had roadrashed through the finish to bare wood just below the knobs - about a 3-4" by 1/2" wide gouge - and he's insisting on $500 for it and won't budge, when you can buy immaculate ones on Reverb or the Bay for $4xx.xx. Thankfully, this one was a guy who bought it, decided guitars aren't his thing and now he and his wife are moving out of state and liquidating everything.

Comment

This is my town in a nutshell. "2014 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Iced Tea Burst - RARE AND DISCONTINUED"

Comment

Congrats! The F-shape is cool.

Comment

There’s some guy here selling a Jackson JS22 for $400 cause it has some sticker on it that says its “59 of 100” and some local guitar players name.

Everything looks stock, except the sticker. So either this cat playing a $100 guitar quadruples the value, the guy does the most mind blowing setups imaginable or someone got snowed and is trying to pass the savings on to the next rube.

Comment

It's the same in my area... I rarely ever see a good deal, just people looking to get more than retail for the beat up pile of shit Epiphone or Squier.

I did score a used Spector Euro4LX locally once for $600, but I had to scrub the frets because they were green. Ended up selling it for $1k when I got bored of it.

Comment

How comfortable are the F shapes? Always wondered about that.

Comment

Originally posted by sgjackson View Post
                      How comfortable are the F shapes? Always wondered about that.
                      I found them to be way more comfortable than I expected. All the curves/bevels are in the right places.

Comment

Wow I didn't realize you moved to MN. I lived in Minneapolis for 16 years or so during my formative years (13-29), but I am a MN native as we moved from MN to CO when I was 1 yo. Minnesota is a great place to live when the weather is good. Hope you guys are enjoying it.

Oh nice Guitar too!

Comment

I found them to be way more comfortable than I expected. All the curves/bevels are in the right places.
                          Same!

Originally posted by man jerk View Post
                          Wow I didn't realize you moved to MN. I lived in Minneapolis for 16 years or so during my formative years (13-29), but I am a MN native as we moved from MN to CO when I was 1 yo. Minnesota is a great place to live when the weather is good. Hope you guys are enjoying it.

Oh nice Guitar too!
                          Yeah, the wife grew up here so family all around - unlike South Texas. Where are you now?

Comment

Same place, still in Colorado springs.

Comment

Originally posted by man jerk View Post
                              Same place, still in Colorado springs.
                              Nice - have you joined Drache in selling Brola guitars to GC for more than Brola sells them retail?

Comment

Nice score, aways dug those F-shaped ESP's/LTD's.

HNGD!

Comment

And... someone just bought it off me. Dug it while it lasted.

Comment

I still kinda want one of the old 7 string F models sometimes. Never owned one but always thought they were cool.

Comment

Reminds me of the one Roger had rhino-lined

Comment

i like that one nice score.

Around here it seems like 90% of the used stuff is low end beginner guitars or stuff that is whipped.
                                        O K T H E N

Comment

The only place I ever buy stuff locally is Atomic Music in suburban Maryland, and they always give me great deals on stuff because I've known them for over 25 years.

There's the Reverb factor, too, where everyone wants to list way too high and then be HaggleMasters. It's tiresome.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon View Post
                                            Reminds me of the one Roger had rhino-lined
                                            I wonder how that affected the tone. Normally I'm not too fussed about what paint is on a guitar, but that's a pretty heavy coating. Perhaps it added a lot of mids, and that's why he had to scoop all the mids on his Triaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Markus View Post

I wonder how that affected the tone. Normally I'm not too fussed about what paint is on a guitar, but that's a pretty heavy coating. Perhaps it added a lot of mids, and that's why he had to scoop all the mids on his Triaxis

Comment

Working...
                                              X