Best way to remove floyd studs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to remove floyd studs?

I know the screw trick, is it the best way to remove them? or are there better methods?

screw trick:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk3DbasW7bI

I usually just use the claw of a hammer and find something cushy to rest the head on. The key is to lift it "up" instead of prying it out, so I'll put something underneath the head of the hammer (wood scrap, etc) to elevate it more as the anchor lifts, keeping the pull angle straight vertical until it's out.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
      I usually just use the claw of a hammer and find something cushy to rest the head on. The key is to lift it "up" instead of prying it out, so I'll put something underneath the head of the hammer (wood scrap, etc) to elevate it more as the anchor lifts, keeping the pull angle straight vertical until it's out.
      This. I have stripped many guitars and always done this method.

Comment

There is one caveat with the method in the video. You might want to have a block behind the stud, in case there isn't enough wood to support it. There is a slim possibility that the screw will break through to the cavity. Better to play it safe.

Comment

I kind of like the "puller method". I've built a little tool out of nuts and o rings to protect the body.

Basically get something like a nut, and set, or glue an o ring on it so you don't mar the body. Make sure the nut ID is slightly bigger than the stud, and grab a screw with a washer on it, and just thread the screw in. I've had pretty good luck with that, and you don't risk the hammer sliding out, or doing any extra damage on the point its laid onto the body.

Comment

Thanks people, was able to remove one with my soft grip pliers (finally found a use for them) the other i used the hammer method, it was in there pretty tight but finally gave way once i threatened it with the hammer.

Comment

Working...
            X