NGD x2!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NGD x2!

First one is a bit delayed. Had her for a few weeks now. Loving it, but not too big on the Duncan JB. I got a Tone Zone i'm going to put in this weekend. Been a while since I had a guitar with a floyd. Forgot how much fun they can be. Only complaint is the lack of reverse headstock but hey, I had to snag it before they discontinued them. Not many are as keen on single pickup guitars as I am.

This one though, I just got today. Guitar Center deal for $270. I was skeptical about the electronics since they're not MFD's. I thought maybe they cheaped out on the pickups to make them so cheap but I think these are legit G&L pickups as they have more traditional pickups as well. Quite possibly the thickest neck i've ever played. Way thicker than the G&L tribute ASAT I owned 8ish years ago. But it sounds incredible, just gotta work for it a little bit.

I've been on the fence with the 87 custom how's it play and fit/finish on it just usual LTD?

Comment

Solid!

Comment

Good stuff! Both are killer.

Comment

Interesting that the neck is so big on the G&L. Mine is pretty normal. That '87 is nice, love single pickup guitars.

Comment

Excellent choices on both. Congrats!

Comment

Mmm... That red 87. :yummy:

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami View Post
                I've been on the fence with the 87 custom how's it play and fit/finish on it just usual LTD?
                I really dig it. It was a "blemish" so I got a bit of a discount. Only issue I found was one tiny flake of paint in the binding near the lower cutaway. Played great out of the box but I did upgrade the tremolo springs immediately. I guess typical LTD quality is what to expect.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

those are the first strat style guitar to really pique my interest in a long time. really fighting the urge to get the black one (a black super strat! the kind of guitar i normally have 0 time for) and jam Sacred Reich songs.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Man, that LTD sure is purdy.

I had the IBZ Tone Zone in my 540SLTD (what came stock) and never got on with it - just couldn't get enough growl out of it. What about that pickup do you dig?
                        Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

Comment

NIce - thos 87 models look really cool.

Originally posted by Iron1 View Post

I had the IBZ Tone Zone in my 540SLTD (what came stock) and never got on with it - just couldn't get enough growl out of it. What about that pickup do you dig?
                          I never got along with the TZ in my S either, not the F2 nor the actual Dimarzio version. I think it worked a bit better in my brother's RG550, so might have something to do with the woods/body size/something else. It still lacked some bite for me, but was not muddy like in the S.

Comment

It's Really harmonically rich. Will make whammy bar harmonics louder and pinch harmonics even more effortless. They work best in brighter guitars, alder, basswood, etc. This one has mahogany wings but since it's maple neckthru it's pretty bright sounding as is so I think it'll work out how I want it to. I also don't know if there is a difference between the IBZ ToneZone and the Dimarzio one. I know Ibanez likes to put their own tweaks on things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by 7deadlysins View Post

It's Really harmonically rich. Will make whammy bar harmonics louder and pinch harmonics even more effortless. They work best in brighter guitars, alder, basswood, etc. This one has mahogany wings but since it's maple neckthru it's pretty bright sounding as is so I think it'll work out how I want it to. I also don't know if there is a difference between the IBZ ToneZone and the Dimarzio one. I know Ibanez likes to put their own tweaks on things like that.
                              Interesting. The 540SLTD is all mahogany, but since it's so thin it's not uber dark or anything. I've heard there are slight variances in the IBZ v TZ, but from what I've red they're minimal at most. Could be wrong, though, as I've never A/B'ed them, nor heard anyone else do it.

Would make for an interesting set of vids, for someone to A/B the Ibanez & Dimarzio, and maybe go on to do the Duncan Designed pups against their alleged sound-alikes, too.

Comment

Interesting. The 540SLTD is all mahogany, but since it's so thin it's not uber dark or anything. I've heard there are slight variances in the IBZ v TZ, but from what I've red they're minimal at most. Could be wrong, though, as I've never A/B'ed them, nor heard anyone else do it.

Would make for an interesting set of vids, for someone to A/B the Ibanez & Dimarzio, and maybe go on to do the Duncan Designed pups against their alleged sound-alikes, too.
                                I didn't exactly A/B them against each other, but the impression I had was that S540's tone had the same problems with both, sort of lacking clarity and cut. I've still got the F2 in a box somewhere but sold the TZ so can't do a test unfortunately.

There's enough examples of the TZ sounding great, that it can't be a bad pickup. It just doesn't seem to work in that guitar

Comment

Originally posted by Markus View Post

There's enough examples of the TZ sounding great, that it can't be a bad pickup. It just doesn't seem to work in that guitar
                                  I'm not convinced that there are really any bad name brand pickups, but more how they work in the whole picture. Picking style, guitar body, FX, amp, speakers, etc. Seems like for everyone who loves [insert pickup name here] there are an equal amount who hate it. That being said, someone out there must love the IBZs... just not me.

Comment

Fuck ya!

I just learned from Larry Dimarzio this week that the Tone Zone was one of the pickups they made for EVH when he was making his EBMM sig. Larry wrote a really cool story about the whole process and how Ed was trying to get a replica of a broken JB that was shorted out and outputting 160ohms instead of 16!

Really cool read- https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.ne...ngVanHalen.pdf
                                    The Karmic Law is not kismet. It is not fate but cause and effect. It is a taskmaster to the unwise; a servant to the wise.

Comment

I'm not convinced that there are really any bad name brand pickups, but more how they work in the whole picture. Picking style, guitar body, FX, amp, speakers, etc. Seems like for everyone who loves [insert pickup name here] there are an equal amount who hate it. That being said, someone out there must love the IBZs... just not me.
                                      You're absolutely right. To be honest, I never thought I would like the Tone Zone either. Years back I picked a Jackson King V off the wall at a store and played it. Noticed that pinch harmonics were effortless and way louder than I was used to. Turned out it was basswood body with a Tone Zone in it. I think that's a small part of how Mattias Eklundh gets his harmonics so clear. I don't know that he uses a Tone Zone, just a hunch.

Comment

Originally posted by 7deadlysins View Post

You're absolutely right. To be honest, I never thought I would like the Tone Zone either. Years back I picked a Jackson King V off the wall at a store and played it. Noticed that pinch harmonics were effortless and way louder than I was used to. Turned out it was basswood body with a Tone Zone in it. I think that's a small part of how Mattias Eklundh gets his harmonics so clear. I don't know that he uses a Tone Zone, just a hunch.
                                        I've always had a hunch that basswood is the most "clear" wood out there. As in, it colors the tone the least. No data to back it up, just my own observations and musings... so, that makes sense. Maybe I'd like the IBZ in a basswood guitar...

Comment

I've been looking at LTD's lately and if I was dead set against getting a guitar with a Floyd, I'd snag one of those up in a second. Sweet looking guitar!

Comment

I have tele gas and this is not helping.

those both look great as does the Strat in the background.
                                            O K T H E N

Comment

I'm going to end up with one of those '87s - every time I see one I get a warm fuzzy feeling.

That's a nice pair you have there.

Comment

1-hum superstrats = THE BEST

Awesome looking guitar!!!

Comment

Not enough love for that Tele around here. Very nice!

G&L has generally gone with thicker necks lately, I believe, in order to try and snag more traditional Fender customers. I will say, though, that thick necks are a classic Tele thing and help with the tone, so it's probably a positive.

I've been gassing for an ASAT for a while, and I probably won't be able to resist for too much longer. I might go for one with the MFD pickups, even though they're sonically closer to P90s than to Fender SCs. On my S500 with the MFDs, the tone controls are actually separate treble and bass cuts, so you can dial in a vintage Fender tone just by setting the volume and bass at about 7 and leaving the treble full up. The ASAT, unfortunately, has only the traditional vol/tone setup, so that's not an option.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X