Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peak /7/

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Peak /7/

    I just replied to a new member there asking how to get the Halloween palm muting sound.

    I have to assume he's never heard palm muting outside of djent.

    #2
    Originally posted by Drew View Post
    I just replied to a new member there asking how to get the Halloween palm muting sound.

    I have to assume he's never heard palm muting outside of djent.
    no fucking way. maybe he just needs to add bass and mids back in to his guitar sound lol

    Comment


      #3
      Although, if you don't reference practicing with a pumpkin, it's a missed opportunity

      Comment


        #4
        Noobs

        Comment


          #5
          As it turns out, he was just bad at guitar, and not a djenter. But I repeat myself.

          Comment


            #6
            The sad truth is that this is entirely possible for other people, even if it wasn’t for that particular person.

            Kids these days.

            Comment


              #7
              lmao i was gonna make a snarky comment but he literally was just asking how to palm mute poor guy.


              his palm muting wasn't even necessarily that bad, he just needed to tighten it up and get a better tone.

              Comment


                #8
                I'm scared to go to that place now

                Comment


                  #9
                  Hey, everyone's a beginner at some point.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Speaking of peak /7/, that avatar.
                    Last edited by noodles; 03-02-2021, 02:27 PM.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Naren View Post
                      Hey, everyone's a beginner at some point.
                      Yeah I feel a little guilty knowing he was a beginner, and not such a dyed-in-the-wool djenter that he'd never heard "normal" palm mutes.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Drew View Post

                        Yeah I feel a little guilty knowing he was a beginner, and not such a dyed-in-the-wool djenter that he'd never heard "normal" palm mutes.
                        I'm 99% sure those people do not exist.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          You have more faith than I.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Drew View Post
                            You have more faith than I.
                            It's not faith. I listen to a ton of "djent" bands. Possibly more than anyone else on this forum. They have more variation in muting (both left hand and right hand) than any other "genre" I'm aware of. I mean, it makes sense. A huge part of the sound is tons of different kinds of mutes. If you are a dyed-in-the-wool djenter and don't know how to to do "normal" palm mutes, then you don't know how to do other kinds of palm mutes either. I can tell you don't listen to any djent.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Naren View Post

                              It's not faith. I listen to a ton of "djent" bands. Possibly more than anyone else on this forum. They have more variation in muting (both left hand and right hand) than any other "genre" I'm aware of. I mean, it makes sense. A huge part of the sound is tons of different kinds of mutes. If you are a dyed-in-the-wool djenter and don't know how to to do "normal" palm mutes, then you don't know how to do other kinds of palm mutes either. I can tell you don't listen to any djent.
                              Coincidentally, the fact that nobody who plays djent can palm mute correctly is one of the reasons that I don't like it. A dozen variations of lousy, weak mute technique? Hard pass.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Originally posted by Naren View Post

                                It's not faith. I listen to a ton of "djent" bands. Possibly more than anyone else on this forum. They have more variation in muting (both left hand and right hand) than any other "genre" I'm aware of. I mean, it makes sense. A huge part of the sound is tons of different kinds of mutes. If you are a dyed-in-the-wool djenter and don't know how to to do "normal" palm mutes, then you don't know how to do other kinds of palm mutes either. I can tell you don't listen to any djent.
                                Eric Johnson called and said “Pick up a copy of Total Electric Guitar I did back in 89-90 where I go over multiple forms of muting, both left and right hand, that you can apply to all styles of music.”

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  and that tells you where their musical inspirations lie, because there's no way you can't palm mute if you're cutting your teeth on Metallica or Priest or Sabbath. how on earth can you play a heavy genre so tightly correlated with metal and not be able to do the most essential thing for that genre?

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by thrashinbatman View Post
                                    and that tells you where their musical inspirations lie, because there's no way you can't palm mute if you're cutting your teeth on Metallica or Priest or Sabbath. how on earth can you play a heavy genre so tightly correlated with metal and not be able to do the most essential thing for that genre?
                                    You come from something like Shoegaze Black where they don't ever mute anything is the only way I can think of.

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      Originally posted by Chris View Post

                                      Coincidentally, the fact that nobody who plays djent can palm mute correctly is one of the reasons that I don't like it. A dozen variations of lousy, weak mute technique? Hard pass.
                                      This, lol.

                                      If you're going to go around questioning my djent cred for complaining about how they all use the same exaggerated choked muting technique, Naren, and saying I'm no true djent fan, well, I don't know what I did to deserve such high praise, but I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        Looked at the dudes thread. Helloween rules (no idea who the Halloween band mentioned in the OP are). Didn't listen to his samples. Obviously not really much of a recording guy, but a lot of recording guys don't get it either.

                                        The most "impressive" sounding palm mutes are also backed by drums doing the same pattern. In this specific legendary case some nicely tuned toms.

                                        3:20 here



                                        A lot of guys don't get that. Like, music is the sum of its parts. If you have other instruments going if you really want to punctuate it you have to be hitting in the same places.

                                        Good technique is necessary, but the extremely punctuated feeling isn't standalone. You need all the other elements hitting at the right time.

                                        I mean, if you are writing your own shit and you want that extremely staccato sound, a lot of people don't realize that you definitely need the bass and drums hitting at the same bits.

                                        You can't not mention that. If someone, especially newer to playing is like, "how do I get this extremely chuggy sound?" it's not something you can really leave out. Like "have some complimentary tuned toms hitting at the same time".

                                        Regardless of his technique, which is obviously the first step to getting that sound as a guitarist, he's probably also attributing the elements other instruments are adding exclusively to guitar. Even way more experienced guys do that.

                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          That's why a lot of nu-thrash sucks coincidentally. The guitars are in time with the drums, but they aren't hitting together. It's just a drag and drop standard drum loop type thing.

                                          Especially on end of verse end of chorus fills that top something off with an extremely punctual bit, a lot of people don't pay enough attention on 80s thrash records to realize that it only sounds that good because the drums (and usually the bass too) are backing it hitting at the exact same spots.

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            at first i thought it was this band:



                                            which i thought was very weird band to choose as "i want my palm mutes to sound like these guys". tbh helloween is also a bit weird, but does make way more sense.

                                            Comment


                                              #23
                                              Originally posted by thrashinbatman View Post
                                              at first i thought it was this band:



                                              which i thought was very weird band to choose as "i want my palm mutes to sound like these guys". tbh helloween is also a bit weird, but does make way more sense.
                                              I did too, and apparently it's not? In that case I have no idea what this thread is about.

                                              Comment


                                                #24
                                                ^Same, I typed "palm muting seven string" into google because I had no idea what drew was referring to, fairly sure that there was no way he had misspelled the legendary HELLOWEEN.

                                                Obviously Kai Hansen is top ten of all time. Dude in the thread wasn't asking for Hansen era stuff, but both Helloween and Gamma Ray do have amazing palm muted sounds.

                                                It was basically one of those threads where someone newer to guitar asks how to capture the sound of a recorded amazing professional band using only a guitar.

                                                He just asked how to get 'that sound' and linked videos. So it seemed like more of a, "the sound of a whole band, using only guitar?" situation than a "actually asking what a palm mute is" situation. Didn't listen to his clips so I don't know, maybe it was a technique thing or some combo of the two.

                                                Helloween are obviously legends, massive fan. They do have a couple of non standard techniques on their best palm muted parts, but the bits that make it great are how some pretty standard palm muting gels with other elements in the band. So "techniques" in the sense of song writing. It's not a performance technique, it's just good writing.

                                                The really good bits are heavily backed by complimentary drumming, and there is another guitar on part doing melodic staccato lead ish type things. Like the intro here.

                                                Comment


                                                  #25
                                                  it honestly to me just sounded like a bit of everything. could have used a change of strings, better technique, and better tone. it's hard to tell but his tone sounded like one such that no palm mute technique would sound "good", just acceptable at best. i've found that if you want an especially mean palm mute, you have to build your tone around it.

                                                  Comment

                                                  Working...
                                                  X