Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Poll) Do you keep physical copies of manuals for your gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Poll) Do you keep physical copies of manuals for your gear?

Not sure what section this belongs in since it applies to a bunch of different things. Amps/Pedals/Tech shit/Recording

In spite of the fact that you can find everything online these days and I have the vast majority of them saved as PDFs, I still keep physical copies of all the manuals that came with my gear.

I feel stupid about it, because it's a waste of space, but it's for the bizarrely specific eventuality that there is a downfall of civilization that takes out the internet and my hardrive with the manual pdfs but we all still have working electricity and all the rest of the modern dressings of contemporary society.

I even keep manuals for products that require a connection to the internet for firmware updates. Don't know how to explain that one.

Has anyone gone completely digital? I feel like this might just be because I was raised by "three hole punch all your receipts and keep them in a three ring binder" people, but the thought of throwing away a manual is sacrilege to me, in spite of the fact I can't remember the last time I have read a physical version since they are way easier to find as PDFs.

That's not even getting into the fact that a bunch of "official manuals" these days for smaller companies aren't even glossy and are just print outs of the PDF version. That's like, some ancient greek philosophical ship of theseus stuff. Is a printed out PDF manual from the original manufacture more original than a version you printed out yourself? Who knows.
    Yes, when society implodes I will power my equipment with a gasoline generator
    37.50%
    No, I don't have attachment issues to official manuals
    18.75%
    Yes (Mesa owner), I never shut the fuck about "original manuals" in FS ads
    6.25%
    Yes, I use the phrase "case candy" because I am a preppy cunt
    0%
    Yes, I also keep the glossy sweetwater receipts for added pedigree
    6.25%
    No, I also eat the flavorful packets of Silica desiccant that come with new gear
    0%
    I accidentally ate the silica dessicant because I thought it was sweetwater candy
    6.25%
    Noodles
    25.00%

When I buy something brand new, I usually keep the manual for a few years, just so if I flip it I can give the buyer a complete package. If I've owned something for awhile, I have it in PDF format. I have a directory with PDFs for every amp and piece of gear I've owned, the only time I ever really use them is when I'm trying to figure out which tube in an amp corresponds to which channel or so forth.

Then there's Mesa manuals. It's like masterpiece theater reading those things

Comment

Depends, I guess. If the manual is big enough that 1) the piece of gear is complex enough I may actually need tyo RTFM, and 2) it's faster to flip through pages than download and scroll thrpugh a PDF, then probably.

Comment

Originally posted by desertdweller View Post
        When I buy something brand new, I usually keep the manual for a few years, just so if I flip it I can give the buyer a complete package. If I've owned something for awhile, I have it in PDF format. I have a directory with PDFs for every amp and piece of gear I've owned, the only time I ever really use them is when I'm trying to figure out which tube in an amp corresponds to which channel or so forth.

Then there's Mesa manuals. It's like masterpiece theater reading those things
        This is me. Except I prefer to laugh at the Ibanez warnings, cause who knew re-stringing a guitar could take your life...
        Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

Comment

If it comes with one I keep it for resale in case I ever want to sell it. Otherwise I just downloaded it a million times on my phone everytime I need to read it.

Comment

Nope. Needless clutter.

Comment

Technical manuals are the life blood of any equipment engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon View Post
                Technical manuals are the life blood of any equipment engineer.
                RTFM definitely rolls off the tongue better than RTF-PDF. No arguments here.

Comment

Originally posted by desertdweller View Post
                  I have a directory with PDFs for every amp and piece of gear I've owned, the only time I ever really use them is when I'm trying to figure out which tube in an amp corresponds to which channel or so forth.
                  Same here. Every so often I clean out manuals for shit I don't own anymore.

Comment

I tend to keep all manuals, but usually use the PDF (if there is one), because I can search for things quickly. I sometimes print out a couple of pages for the things that I am interested in at the time, then throw them out.

Comment

i keep boxes and manuals and stickers/swag that comes with most items. eventually, i either sell it complete or it goes back in the box for storage when i'm over it.

Comment

I keep all manuals and boxes. Usually greases the wheels if I come to sell anything.

Comment

Working...
                        X