Procedurally generated Djent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Procedurally generated Djent

10 Hours (More!) of Djent/Progressive Metal made with procedural generation is here! Djent/Progressive metal is one of my favorite genres, with Periphery, TesseracT, Animals As Leaders being in my top. Some time ago, I uploaded a video of a project I've been working on for some time that composes Djent/Progressive Metal music akin to Periphery/TesseracT/Animals As Leaders with procedural generation. An explanation of how this works was posted in the first video, and since then I have added lots of improvements to the algorithm, with much more variation being a big focus! Essentially I started with sampling all the guitar notes on my Ibanez RGIF7 in Drop E tuning, and exporting each note (and variation of that note) into separate audio files. Then I did the same with drums (which I use GGD Modern and Massive for), bass (which I use Submission Audio Djinnbass for) and various synths, so everything exists in separate audio files. I then load that into my program and piece together each song, sample by sample, and that's what you hear in this video! Hope you like it!
    10 hours of djent, made by an algorhythm:

I love this thing: https://djen.co

Comment

Comment

I saw this a few weeks ago. From a technical perspective this thing is amazing. And for anyone who says this kind of music isnt formulaic, this guy wrote the formula for it 😅

But this could have pretty cool applications for video games, where the bgm writes itself depending on what is happening in the game.

Comment

Comment

Yeah, but can it create more Dave Grohl awesomeness? I think not.
            Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
              I saw this a few weeks ago. From a technical perspective this thing is amazing. And for anyone who says this kind of music isnt formulaic, this guy wrote the formula for it 😅

But this could have pretty cool applications for video games, where the bgm writes itself depending on what is happening in the game.
              It's insanely impressive. To be honest, if anyone claims that any music isn't formulaic, they're only deceiving themselves (or lying). Music, by its very nature, is extremely formulaic. If it wasn't, we wouldn't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Naren View Post

It's insanely impressive. To be honest, if anyone claims that any music isn't formulaic, they're only deceiving themselves (or lying). Music, by its very nature, is extremely formulaic. If it wasn't, we wouldn't like it.
                One might argue that part of what makes great art great is the fact that it's flawed.

When everything is perfect it loses its personality. Which is what djent is - soulless music for people who can't play thrash (the music of the Gods).

Comment

Originally posted by Naren View Post

I was going to say this, but Naren beat me to it.

Music theory is a formula, that's what it is. Music theory is literally a formulaic processing for creating things that sound a certain way. All music is formulaic. Certain intervals sound good together and etc. etc. etc. The whole "some music is formulaic and other music isn't" stuff is just people pandering to their own egos.

Ancient stuff like counterpoint and contrapunctal music in general is as formulaic as it comes. Counterpoint is by definition a very strict formula for how to write music.

The problem with djent isn't that it's formulaic, the problem is that formula in particular just sounds like shit.

"Procedural generation" is also literally just "creativity, but when a computer does it".

Songwriting is just procedural generation by humans. You come up with a riff noodling or whatever and then generate the rest of the song around it according to a procedural set of rules. That's how it's always done. You come up with something noodling and say, "Well, I'm using these notes, so the next step in the procedure is coming up with something in the same key that sounds good for another part".

The "this music is formulaic, but mine isn't" guys are almost as bad as the jazz guys who are like, "VERSE/CHORUS/VERSE IS FOR PLEBIANS".

It's a slippery slope, one day you are calling someone elses music formulaic and the next you wake up and find out that you have become Frank Zappa and fancy spending the rest of your life on a self aggrandizing kick about how much better you are then everyone else.

That's what happened to Steven Wilson.

Comment

Sad part is I'd probably be like 10x better at making algorithms that make song than I am making the myself...

Comment

He is working on a piano one too

https://youtu.be/VVLDmIzm9t0?t=334

This will be awesome for a lot of things. I would love to have it baked into a midi generator for drums or keys to make riffs and grooves that are unique and on the fly but piped through some Toontrack products.

Comment

"Slow Hand"

Comment

Imagine all that programming being done just to end up with a bunch of...djent.

Definitely has potential, though.

I will say that the formulaic nature of music, especially pop music, is one thing that makes improvised music very appealing to me. Not to say you couldn't program "improvisation", but a group of imaginations interacting (or in my case, my imagination interacting with itself on different tracks over time) is unique and probably not reproducible.

Comment

I thought it was all just algorithmically derived in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              I thought it was all just algorithmically derived in the first place?
                              Just because the people making it sort Reverb by price high to low doesn't make it algorithmically derived bro. It just means they overspend on gear to make crappy music.

Comment

Working...
                              X