Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red- Taylor's version

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Red- Taylor's version

    Listening to this and the production quality is definitely better than the original album. It's very close in term's of performances of each instrument too. I wouldn't be surprised if its the same session musicians but it's Nashville and session players are crazy good.

    #2
    I expect this thread to get no real traction here, but I'll say this for Taylor - this is one of the best "fuck yous" to a label I've ever seen, right up there with Prince changing his name to an unpronounceable symbol.

    "So, the label has all the rights to the recordings of my earlier albums and there's nothing I can do about it? Ok, sure, right on, let me just go re-record and re-release every album they own the recordings to. Your move."

    Comment


      #3
      I'm a pretty big Taylor Swift fan. She was my daughters first favorite artist so we got to bond over that. I even took her to see TS at the Reputation stadium tour, and had an absolute blast. Just thinking about that night brings back lots of amazing memories.

      Not a guilty pleasure, just a pleasure in general.

      Comment


        #4
        I confess I had no idea what this thread was about from the title...

        Comment


          #5
          Me neither.

          Comment


            #6
            +1

            Comment


              #7


              And why did it take this long?

              Comment


                #8
                 

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Drew View Post
                  I expect this thread to get no real traction here, but I'll say this for Taylor - this is one of the best "fuck yous" to a label I've ever seen, right up there with Prince changing his name to an unpronounceable symbol.

                  "So, the label has all the rights to the recordings of my earlier albums and there's nothing I can do about it? Ok, sure, right on, let me just go re-record and re-release every album they own the recordings to. Your move."
                  I didnt know thats why this came about. Interesting.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Budda View Post

                    I didnt know thats why this came about. Interesting.
                    So Big Machine owns her master recordings and she left them for royal republic records. She the master recordings for herself (even though her contract said big machine would own them). I've learned that this is a very common practice. The songwriters/publishers own publishing and the label owns the masters. So she's re-recording her music for self release. If a movie or tv show wanted to use one of her original songs she pretty much has no say because she doesn't own the master recordings. Big Machine sold to Scooter Braun and it doesn't look like he's going to involve her in any decisions like that without him having majority control and final say.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Yeah, this is a weird thing.

                      It's cool from an artist perspective but at the same time that was the agreement.
                      I'm surprised she just didn't try to buy her Masters unless they wouldn't let her.

                      It's not like Vai, when he just started without any record label anything. He just did it from the get go (owning his music).

                      Had it not been for that label, Taylor more than likely would have never been as famous as she is and she isn't struggling by any means. As far as I can see at least. Apparently, she's worth 365 Million. That's bonkers for as young as she is.

                      Yeah, Labels do suck and we all know that but they also have been a great commodity to very many artists for furthering the careers.

                      Point of the music industry in something to always remember, they are trying to make money of you and you're a product in their eyes. Sad reality.

                      Did she really re-record her songs just because the label owns her Masters or is there more to this?

                      EDIT: Something about Scooter Braun owned them and sold them to Big Machine? This all sounds a little more deeper than just label issues.
                      Last edited by Ghost.; 11-19-2021, 12:19 PM.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Ghost. View Post
                        Yeah, this is a weird thing.

                        It's cool from an artist perspective but at the same time that was the agreement.
                        I'm surprised she just didn't try to buy her Masters unless they wouldn't let her.

                        It's not like Vai, when he just started without any record label anything. He just did it from the get go (owning his music).

                        Had it not been for that label, Taylor more than likely would have never been as famous as she is and she isn't struggling by any means. As far as I can see at least. Apparently, she's worth 365 Million. That's bonkers for as young as she is.

                        Yeah, Labels do suck and we all know that but they also have been a great commodity to very many artists for furthering the careers.

                        Point of the music industry in something to always remember, they are trying to make money of you and you're a product in their eyes. Sad reality.

                        Did she really re-record her songs just because the label owns her Masters or is there more to this?

                        EDIT: Something about Scooter Braun owned them and sold them to Big Machine? This all sounds a little more deeper than just label issues.
                        I don't give a fuck about Taylor Swift but all of this is correct. Nobody likes record labels, but at the same time those labels get the music to us (or at least, historically anyway).
                        Swift has a team of professional songwriters and producers behind her that could fill a football stadium, so it's hard to really sympathize with her here.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Chris View Post

                          I don't give a fuck about Taylor Swift but all of this is correct. Nobody likes record labels, but at the same time those labels get the music to us (or at least, historically anyway).
                          Swift has a team of professional songwriters and producers behind her that could fill a football stadium, so it's hard to really sympathize with her here.
                          The music industry has changed quite a bit in time too. Things are different with the "game" changing. I'm not sure how Labels work these days. Though Devin Townsends experience in trying to write a mainstream hit was interesting and he backed out. So it's probably gotten fairly more rotten, considering what's on the radio.

                          But back in the day, the labels were trying to grow artists. Like David Geffen telling David Coverdale to re-record some of those "Old" Whitesnake songs. If "Here I Go Again" had never been re-recorded with Sykes/Adrian Solo with a new fresh coat of paint. It would have never been the hit it became later. The Original (while it is great) and Re-Recorded one are miles apart.

                          Labels used to invest into artists financially (a loan basically), musically and visually. And sure. Plenty screwed over many artists, Richie Kotzen has plenty of stories as well as others. But they've also made music happen in many ways too for us to enjoy. They just don't always hit the ducks in a row.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Ghost. View Post
                            Did she really re-record her songs just because the label owns her Masters or is there more to this?

                            EDIT: Something about Scooter Braun owned them and sold them to Big Machine? This all sounds a little more deeper than just label issues.
                            Yeah. there's some nuance. Her label owned the rights to the masters, she was their first hire, her career took off, and they were responsible for like 90% of the label's ongoing revenue. Then, the label sold them to this guy, who bought them with private equity backing, funded by the Carlyle Group. There seems to have been some pre-existing drama between Taylor and the guy who bought them, and the details are unclear, but it's a bit of a he-said she-said on the actual deal where she claims she wasn't given the opportunity to make an offer to buy them herself, and iIRC claims she'd been trying to buy them for some time, when her label sold them to this other guy.

                            So, the label who signed her and helped kick-start her career no longer owns the masters, there seems to have been some shadiness on how the deal went down, and Taylor took matters into her own hands and decided to just re-record everything. Reminds me a LOT of The Artist Formerly Known as Prince basically tanking his way to the end of a shitty contract he couldn't get out of, and we all think he's pretty cool.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Drew View Post

                              Yeah. there's some nuance. Her label owned the rights to the masters, she was their first hire, her career took off, and they were responsible for like 90% of the label's ongoing revenue. Then, the label sold them to this guy, who bought them with private equity backing, funded by the Carlyle Group. There seems to have been some pre-existing drama between Taylor and the guy who bought them, and the details are unclear, but it's a bit of a he-said she-said on the actual deal where she claims she wasn't given the opportunity to make an offer to buy them herself, and iIRC claims she'd been trying to buy them for some time, when her label sold them to this other guy.

                              So, the label who signed her and helped kick-start her career no longer owns the masters, there seems to have been some shadiness on how the deal went down, and Taylor took matters into her own hands and decided to just re-record everything. Reminds me a LOT of The Artist Formerly Known as Prince basically tanking his way to the end of a shitty contract he couldn't get out of, and we all think he's pretty cool.
                              Oh no disrespect towards her in that regard. I didn't realize it was so much all of that.

                              That makes sense now why she did it and I respect it. It's cool.

                              I was actually more-so curious to see how close she could get production to the original records. Heard one song, her voice sounds more "mature."

                              I like some of Taylor's songs. It's just in the last few years I've just not been nearly as keen on her as before.

                              But good for her, it'll be interesting from an artists perspective to see how this turns out.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Originally posted by Drew View Post

                                Yeah. there's some nuance. Her label owned the rights to the masters, she was their first hire, her career took off, and they were responsible for like 90% of the label's ongoing revenue. Then, the label sold them to this guy, who bought them with private equity backing, funded by the Carlyle Group. There seems to have been some pre-existing drama between Taylor and the guy who bought them, and the details are unclear, but it's a bit of a he-said she-said on the actual deal where she claims she wasn't given the opportunity to make an offer to buy them herself, and iIRC claims she'd been trying to buy them for some time, when her label sold them to this other guy.

                                So, the label who signed her and helped kick-start her career no longer owns the masters, there seems to have been some shadiness on how the deal went down, and Taylor took matters into her own hands and decided to just re-record everything. Reminds me a LOT of The Artist Formerly Known as Prince basically tanking his way to the end of a shitty contract he couldn't get out of, and we all think he's pretty cool.
                                The big difference being I *like* Prince, but I don't give a shit about all the three chord Taylor Swift songs with lyrics pulled out of her unicorn notebook.

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by noodles View Post

                                  The big difference being I *like* Prince, but I don't give a shit about all the three chord Taylor Swift songs with lyrics pulled out of her unicorn notebook.


                                  Still, as a business move, this is a pretty glorious "fuck you" to the private-equity backed guy who bought the rights to her masters.

                                  @Ghost - very much to my surprise, I liked Folklore rather a lot - "Mad Woman" and "The Last Great American Dynasty" are great songs no matter who wrote them.

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Originally posted by Drew View Post
                                    I expect this thread to get no real traction here, but I'll say this for Taylor - this is one of the best "fuck yous" to a label I've ever seen, right up there with Prince changing his name to an unpronounceable symbol.

                                    "So, the label has all the rights to the recordings of my earlier albums and there's nothing I can do about it? Ok, sure, right on, let me just go re-record and re-release every album they own the recordings to. Your move."
                                    Def Leppard re-recorded all of their stuff because of the way they were getting shafted by their record company on income earned via streaming.
                                    O K T H E N

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      Originally posted by Webdood View Post

                                      Def Leppard re-recorded all of their stuff because of the way they were getting shafted by their record company on income earned via streaming.
                                      Gah, I didn't even think about that.

                                      I wonder if that's why the Scorpions re-recorded some of their hits.

                                      If you watch Stranger Things Season 3, they used the re-recorded version of "Rock You Like a Hurricane."

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        Originally posted by Ghost. View Post

                                        Gah, I didn't even think about that.

                                        I wonder if that's why the Scorpions re-recorded some of their hits.

                                        If you watch Stranger Things Season 3, they used the re-recorded version of "Rock You Like a Hurricane."
                                        The big money comes from publishing, but also owning the master for media licensing will be a nice paycheck if it gets into a big show or movie. Pharell's happy got put on Despicable me or The minions movie and generated something like $15m just from the movie.

                                        While I like a lot of Taylor's music I don't like how she handled the situation. Her contract was ending so she wanted to move to a new label and expected to take the master recordings with her. She signed a contract and knew the stipulations. I dont recall if she offered to buy them back, but I think getting her fans rallied up to have protests in front of the Big Machine building in Nashville and smear their name is kind of a trashy. Scott Borchetta (founder of Big Machine) worked in radio before starting the label just with Taylor as the artist. He has a huge network of radio people which definitely gave Taylor a huge boost when her first songs were being released. Without Scott there wouldn't be the Taylor Swift as we know today, and without Taylor then Scott might not be mega wealthy but he would probably still have a comfy career in radio.

                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          Originally posted by noodles View Post

                                          The big difference being I *like* Prince, but I don't give a shit about all the three chord Taylor Swift songs with lyrics pulled out of her unicorn notebook.
                                          Let's not pretend for a second that she wrote a single one of those songs by herself.

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            Originally posted by Snoop Travvy Travv View Post

                                            The big money comes from publishing, but also owning the master for media licensing will be a nice paycheck if it gets into a big show or movie. Pharell's happy got put on Despicable me or The minions movie and generated something like $15m just from the movie.

                                            While I like a lot of Taylor's music I don't like how she handled the situation. Her contract was ending so she wanted to move to a new label and expected to take the master recordings with her. She signed a contract and knew the stipulations. I dont recall if she offered to buy them back, but I think getting her fans rallied up to have protests in front of the Big Machine building in Nashville and smear their name is kind of a trashy. Scott Borchetta (founder of Big Machine) worked in radio before starting the label just with Taylor as the artist. He has a huge network of radio people which definitely gave Taylor a huge boost when her first songs were being released. Without Scott there wouldn't be the Taylor Swift as we know today, and without Taylor then Scott might not be mega wealthy but he would probably still have a comfy career in radio.
                                            Oh yeah, I remember having a conversation with Joe Satriani's Manager/Producer about getting his music out there and kickbacks, etc. That was surreal.

                                            Well that's business for you I guess. It's weird with modern mainstream artist fans these days. It's like a little army they have with Twitter but in the words Dave Chappelle, "Twitter is not a real place."

                                            Comment


                                              #23
                                              Originally posted by Chris View Post

                                              Let's not pretend for a second that she wrote a single one of those songs by herself.
                                              I think there's a couple that she did write there are demos floating around with just her and her guitar singing into a cell phone. They're not exactly what became in the final version but the point is definitely there. Beyonce is a better example of owning the publishing and not a songwriter. Some artists like Beyonce get credited as a songwriter to because they own the publishing. You can find the demo for Halo on youtube. Ryan Tedder wrote 100% of it and is even singing it in the demo exactly how it is sung in the final version. Now her crazy fans are always gonna say she wrote all of those songs but she's just credited as a songwriter because she owns that portion of the publishing.

                                              Comment


                                                #24
                                                I just wasted several minutes of my life reading up on this story.

                                                What I take away from it is that there's actually a grown man who willingly goes by "Scooter".

                                                Comment


                                                  #25
                                                  Originally posted by jacksonplayer View Post
                                                  I just wasted several minutes of my life reading up on this story.

                                                  What I take away from it is that there's actually a grown man who willingly goes by "Scooter".
                                                  Ya he's the guy that discovered Justin Bieber on youtube. Kind of makes you wonder why a 25 y/o man was searching young boys singing in the middle of the night.

                                                  Comment

                                                  Working...
                                                  X