So I'm learning how to sing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm learning how to sing...

So I've always wanted to learn how to sing and be a powerful or great vocalist like: Sir Russell Allen, George Michael, Zak Stevens, Glenn Hughes, Jorn, Richie Kotzen, David Coverdale, Steven Tyler, and even David Lee Roth.

I want the perfection combination of powerful with or without rasp and the way to bluesy/soulful.

So I went by my friends house and tried singing to the original track of "One Last Soul" sang by Glenn Hughes in Black Country Communion.

All advice, comments and criticism is welcomed.
    I'm hoping to become good enough one day so I don't have to look for a singer like Dino Jesulick.

Anyway, I hope you guys like it and the video is unlisted because I'm nervous even posting this. This is the fist time I've ever sang in a studio.

God Bless!

Side note: I can't play guitar for six weeks due to having a tendonitis in my first finger. So this will be my main focus for a bit. If anyone has any good lesson videos or anything. Happy to watch them.

Dude that was really good. Keep it up
    Leon Today at 7:59 PM: Ripping farts is heaven

Comment

Damn man, I wish my first vocal recordings sounded as good as that!

You sound like a singer, so it works!

The biggest thing I’ve learned over the years was in regards to how much throat pressure I was using, even for non-aggressive stuff. I’ve always wanted to get that grit with my voice like Cornell, Hetfield, Staley, RJD, etc and I thought that pressure would get me there. It can, but it removes so much dynamics from the voice and ultimately, I ended up hurting myself and had to stop singing for almost two years straight and then re-learn my entire approach.

Sounds like you’re already bridging from chest to head/mixed pretty damn well man, that’s a huge trouble zone for a lot of people. Really, just keep doing what you’re doing and the more you go along, the more you find different ways to deliver what you want. When describing what it’s like to learn how to sing, it’s like starting off right out of the gate with an AxeFX; meaning that you’ve already got all the tools you’ll ever need installed in your body, it’s just learning how to use them all that takes time. Figuring out what signal chain/headphone mix that works best for you in the studio is hugely important and was something I struggled with for years.

Tight work, man!!
      The Karmic Law is not kismet. It is not fate but cause and effect. It is a taskmaster to the unwise; a servant to the wise.

Comment

Wow thats not bad!!!!

You got a very pleasing TONE to your voice, even tho of course I'm listening to it at the same time as somebody else singing.
        But it sounds very promising.

We need more real vocalists and less GRUFFGRUFF growlers

(if a growler reads this I'm joking, but I still think "real singing" is too rare so anybody getting into singing has my respect)

When I've been looking for singers for my bands on various "find members pages" then about 80% of "METAL VOCALIST LOOKING FOR BAND" is often just RUFFRUFROGFFOROFFF cookie monster growlers. Hahaha. They have their place. But aaaah, please call themselves "growlers" so its easier to not waste time with "not real singers" (joke)

Comment

That was really good. As someone who vastly prefers singing to grunting/growling/screaming it was a very welcome change.

Keep it up.

If you want some backing tracks to sing along to to get a better feel for your voice in isolation lookup guitar hero/rockband stems. You can just delete the singer and have at it.

Comment

Sounds good to me man!

Comment

Sounds good to me man, with practice and help from our singers here you will be a really good singer.

Keep practicing and never give up on your dreams!

Comment

zepp Thanks man!

RevDrucifer Means a lot man, thank you! Yeah, I'm having a little trouble "pushing" or not accidentally hitting my throat and irritating it. I really need some training so I can learn how to go lower or higher or be flexible without irritating my voice. But thank you so much for the advice! How does one get into the screaming power territory like Devin Townsend. His powerful high end screams at like the end of "Kingdom."

Blazon_Stone Thank you Sir. I'm thankful to hear that. Because I'm so self-conscious about my "tone" and don't always know if it sounds good or not. So I get a little paranoid when trying to sing. But I know confidence has a big part in it. So thank you and me too. There's not nearly enough "clean singers" like there used to be in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Russell, Jorn and Dino can't do all the work.

Tony I didn't even think about that. That's brilliant!

Chris Thank you Sir and what a proper gif. You already know I'm going to be working on some Zak Stevens Savatage songs.

Megametal7 Thank you man! I hope so! I'm really going to give this a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost. View Post
                  zepp Thanks man!

RevDrucifer Means a lot man, thank you! Yeah, I'm having a little trouble "pushing" or not accidentally hitting my throat and irritating it. I really need some training so I can learn how to go lower or higher or be flexible without irritating my voice. But thank you so much for the advice! How does one get into the screaming power territory like Devin Townsend. His powerful high end screams at like the end of "Kingdom."

Blazon_Stone Thank you Sir. I'm thankful to hear that. Because I'm so self-conscious about my "tone" and don't always know if it sounds good or not. So I get a little paranoid when trying to sing. But I know confidence has a big part in it. So thank you and me too. There's not nearly enough "clean singers" like there used to be in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Russell, Jorn and Dino can't do all the work.

Chris Thank you Sir and what a proper gif. You already know I'm going to be working on some Zak Stevens Savatage songs.

The only problem with doing that is sometimes the drums & vocals are mixed as one stem but you can easily just download a guitar pro tab and export the midi to use for drums with ssd free or superior etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post

The only problem with doing that is sometimes the drums & vocals are mixed as one stem but you can easily just download a guitar pro tab and export the midi to use for drums with ssd free or superior etc.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	ca92a3f62262bdb9b5c14d519d429603.gif
Views:	96
Size:	5.75 MB
ID:	32430

Then we have software like Izotope RX8 which uses AI to detect "drums/vocals/bass/other" to isolate various elemets.
                    This is obviously ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE and not a 100% substitute for ACTUAL stems from original source.

But I have purchased Izotope RX8. It's actually pretty good!

Obviously there's gonna be some "cymbals" and "vocal S/T/K" that interchange, and other artifacts, but if used right it's powerful.

I have actually used it in a vocal recording session where the singer wanted to SING ALONG TO MONITORS... In other words, NOT the traditional way with headphones.
                    She actually prefered singing to speakers

What I did was basically just run the vocal track through RX8 like I would with a FULL SONG... And isolated the vocals from the background noise of speakers.
                    IT WORKED WONDERS!!!!!

I know there's the other "phase flip trick" where you first record the vocals, and then record the song again without vocals (without moving mic, IMPORTANT!) and phase flip the 2nd track to eliminate the background noise.

But I found this trick to not always work 100% so I prefer RX8.

It can be very useful in a LIVE RECORDING where you have all the stage noise and want to make the vocal tracks clean from drums/guitars/bass etc.

I have not yet used it for a live recording, but I am very excited to try it out whenever I get the chance to make a live recording again.

Comment

That sounds great. You have a good voice. I'm totally interested to see where you go with it.

I recommend vocal lessons, if you can afford them, or at least doing a lot of research on technique. Not that your technique sounds bad, just that it's good to learn the right way of using your voice if you're going to do a lot of singing. You can really fuck up your voice if you try to sing improperly.

Comment

Ghost. I honestly think that was excellent! The only thing missing is the attitude you'd get from doing dozens of gigs live before recording the song - the confidence, swagger, etc. Play this song live a few times and see how the audience responds, make changes to how you sing to elicit the responses you like from the crowd, and then IMO you'll be where you want to be. I think you sound awesome, and if this is where you're starting, you have unbelievable potential.

Comment

zepp Thanks man!

Hahahaha man, it took me years to get into that Devin Townsend zone and the original version of “Kingdom” was my goal; I just wanted to hit that note with that tone. You’re already doing half of it when you get up into that mixed voice zone, you just gotta figure out how to add the vocal fry on top of it. It’s so tricky to explain where to obtain that fry sound/technique, but it’s all technique based and not “push down and scream”, there’s a ton of videos about using vocal fry online, you’ve just got to wade through them all and find the ones that explain it to you in a way that makes sense to you.

The best way I can describe it is like shaping a ball in your mouth, around the soft palate area and keeping it open like that, despite what your mouth is doing to shape words. If you start off doing it with a whisper and just going for full vocal fry, not pitch, you can play with it and see where the base of the fry sound comes from, then you figure out how to make it louder so it’s even with your singing voice. So tricky to write out in written word without knowing the terminology/biology of the throat.
                          The Karmic Law is not kismet. It is not fate but cause and effect. It is a taskmaster to the unwise; a servant to the wise.

Comment

jacksonplayer No. I totally agree. My technique definitely needs some work for sure. I need to be able to transition without irritating my throat with anything. I can do well for the most part but some days I'm not sure what's going on.

desertdweller That's very encouraging! Thank you! It's interesting you mention that... Dino Jesulick (TSO, Michael Romeo, Dirty Shirley) told me his vocals became steel when he started singing live all the time. Because you learn what you can and can't do.

RevDrucifer
                            It seems like I can make out what you're saying in mind but I'm just going to have to try it.

Once again, thanks everyone for taking the time to listen and comment!

Comment

Next video needs to be a cover or you're banished to /7/. Chop chop, get to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                                Next video needs to be a cover or you're banished to /7/. Chop chop, get to it.

"Grandma!"

Comment

"Grandma!"

You are missing like eight dozen letter a's at the bottom of that, and it absolutely needs to all be in caps.

Comment

You are missing like eight dozen letter a's at the bottom of that, and it absolutely needs to all be in caps.

I think I've only listened to two King Diamond albums.

Comment

At work so I can't really watch, but having heard you play, wouldn't just go figure that you're probably also going to become a killer vocalist too.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
                                        At work so I can't really watch, but having heard you play, wouldn't just go figure that you're probably also going to become a killer vocalist too.
                                        Drew, that means a lot coming from someone like you with a great standard of playing and understanding of greatness when it comes to other players! Thank you!

Comment

Drew, that means a lot coming from someone like you with a great standard of playing and understanding of greatness when it comes to other players! Thank you!
                                          I hate to break it to you man, but Drew's top two singers are Tom Waits and Kurt Cobain.

I still think you sound great though.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazon_Stone View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	ca92a3f62262bdb9b5c14d519d429603.gif Views:	72 Size:	5.75 MB ID:	32430
                                            Prince Michael!

Comment

I hate to break it to you man, but Drew's top two singers are Tom Waits and Kurt Cobain.

What of it?

Comment

We all have our faults.

Comment

Working...
                                                X