People who DO NOT listen to music.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People who DO NOT listen to music.

Have you ever met anyone who DO NOT listen to musc?

I have met a couple in my days. Each time I hear this X-Files "spooky" theme because it just does not make any sense in my head, because music is such a huge part of my life.

One guy sat in a sofa at a drunk party, just staring lifelessly and saying nothing. He wasn't depressed, he just "was like that".
    And he was also the driver for the next "party location"... He was driving drunk really fast and lost his license when the cops chased him down, haha! In his car he had a METALLICA CD "just in case anybody listens to music".

With THAT said;
    I do NOT react the same on a person who does not watch movies or read books, or whatever.
    Just music. I cannot imagine a life without it.

I know those type of people..

Comment

Shit, that's me these days.

I have two young kids. My favorite sound these days is rare, sweet, blessed silence.

Comment

Yeah, it's very weird. You're right, it's definitely weirder than if they just don't watch tv/movies. Music is so much more primal and integral to human nature. To not listen to any (deliberately) is definitely fucking strange.

And to answer your question, yes. Only one person though. Some weird fucker I got a ride with in college once. This would have been before phones and bluetooth/aux, so if you didn't have actual media in your car (tapes/CD's) you didn't have any music besides the radio. Anyway, we asked to put some music on and this dude was like "ah I don't have any. I don't like music".

That prompted a few (thousand) questions. Dude just didn't like music Didn't have a stereo growing up, never bought any music in his life, never listened to the radio. So fucking bizarre. Honestly, I hope he never managed to procreate.

Comment

90% of my music listening is while doing other things. I haven’t just sat and actively listened to music on its own for personal enjoyment in probably 25+ years.

Comment

I've heard about these people, but I can't recall ever meeting one of them. It does strike me as really bizarre for someone to not like music. I have to imagine that most of them actually do like music, but they just like it in the context of a TV show or a movie or something like that and simply don't listen to a music radio station or buy any music albums. That said, I've never met anyone like that, so maybe I'm just trying to reason out why someone would claim to not like music. I suppose there might be some kind of medical condition where music just sounds like chaotic noise to someone who doesn't enjoy it.

Originally posted by Darren View Post
            90% of my music listening is while doing other things. I haven’t just sat and actively listened to music on its own for personal enjoyment in probably 25+ years.
            I typically listen to music while I'm working, so I'd say 90% of my music listening is while doing other things, but that other 10% is just listening on its own for personal enjoyment, so the last time I just sat and actively listened to music on its own for personal enjoyment was maybe 36 hours ago? Give or take.

Comment

Same here, now that you mention it. Never any time.

Probably need to work on that. :/

Comment

Actually, I should revise my number higher. It’s probably more like 99%. The closest I come to actively listening to music is when I’m commuting on the train, but even then, I’m browsing the web, reading, etc.

Music is mainly the soundtrack to my life. It’s there in the background, but not the centre of it.

Comment

I can't imagine life without music. Of course, you can get bored listening to stuff over and over so it's nice when a new album by a good artist comes out and also having a wide variety, too. Even at work, we find ourselves listening to music. One thing I will say is radio stations are shit though because they play the same shit and it makes you not want to listen to music for a while.

Comment

I was that way... getting into vinyl collecting last year actually helped me to start actively listening to music again. Though for the record, I don't have kids and all 3 of my bands are currently on hiatus, so I have more free time than some of you guys do.

Recently I've been burnt out on TV so if I'm not playing guitar or writing music, I've been listening to it - dog on the couch next to me, beverage of the evening in hand, unwinding from the work day listening to music. It's been really fun and I'm always hunting for cool shit.

Comment

I definitely know people who... aren't that passionate about music, and look at music as sort of like the generic art in hotel rooms - just something to set the mood, but not actually to pay attention to.

I don't think I know anyone who just doesn't listen to music though.

Comment

Yeah I know these kinda people. I married one of them.

To her it's just background noise. To make it worse her choice of background noise is usually my chemical romance or fallout boy.

I clearly did something very wrong in a past life and this is payback.

Actually Drews description is better. She does actually listen to it but doesn't care about it or pay attention to it really.
                        My blog and a spot to buy DIY valve amp & effect pedal PCBS www.aurora-audio.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post

I was that way... getting into vinyl collecting last year actually helped me to start actively listening to music again. Though for the record, I don't have kids and all 3 of my bands are currently on hiatus, so I have more free time than some of you guys do.

Recently I've been burnt out on TV so if I'm not playing guitar or writing music, I've been listening to it - dog on the couch next to me, beverage of the evening in hand, unwinding from the work day listening to music. It's been really fun and I'm always hunting for cool shit.
                          Seconded on music listening as a hobby.

Vinyl is a great way to do that since, unlike a phone or smart speaker, it does nothing else but play music so the temptation to stop in the middle and move to something else isn't as convenient. Technically you probably still do "things" while you're listening to music but the whole album beginning to end thing also makes it more of an experience.

Work's been blah but when I had more free workshop time, I'd wear my Bluetooth cans and work my way through two or three albums without a break. That's pretty nice because it's somewhat distraction free. When you have your hands busy, the temptation to skip songs or look for other stuff kind of evaporates.

Comment

Working...
                          X