• Show
Clear All

50 years ago...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zeppelin4.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	32109 Well, 50 years ago yesterday actually

I wasn't a big listener at release, being four at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      I wasn't a big listener at release, being four at the time.
      I wasn't either, having not been born yet. But it did become one of my favorite albums in my teen years.

Comment

In every conversation for the best rock album ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Naren View Post

I wasn't either, having not been born yet. But it did become one of my favorite albums in my teen years.
          That's a big part of the allure. Every generation since has been able to smoke copious amounts of pot to this album.

Comment

It was my fisrt Led Zeppelin cassette I ever bought, I love it still to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post

That's a big part of the allure. Every generation since has been able to smoke copious amounts of pot to this album.
              I mean, every single song on the album is a classic. People always cite Stairway to Heaven, Black Dog, and Rock and Roll, but my favorite song on the album is actually When the Levee Breaks. Those drums. Man, those drums. So awesome.

Comment

^

I absolutely agree. I have it on vinyl and I keep pushing the needle to hear the intro like a dozen times in a row, at the loudest of volume.

Comment

Originally posted by playstopause View Post
                  ^

I absolutely agree. I have it on vinyl and I keep pushing the needle to hear the intro like a dozen times in a row, at the loudest of volume.
                  Ha, I thought I was the only one that did that. By some random circumstance, I also have two copies of it on vinyl...they somehow multiplied.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Naren View Post
                      ...but my favorite song on the album is actually When the Levee Breaks. Those drums. Man, those drums. So awesome.
                      Dude. That song IS rock drumming. Stairway gets all the attention here, but the unaccompanied drum intro grooves harder than most full bands ever dream of doing at their best.

Comment

When the Levee Breaks is one of the best songs, if not the best song on the album. It’s rules so much.

My other favorite from it is Battle of Evermore.
                        Leon Today at 7:59 PM: Ripping farts is heaven

Comment

This album always conjures up memories of listening to the radio late at night when something like "Four Sticks" would play. Despite the crunch, it's also a very ethereal, haunting album in many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonplayer View Post
                            This album always conjures up memories of listening to the radio late at night when something like "Four Sticks" would play. Despite the crunch, it's also a very ethereal, haunting album in many ways.
                            There's so much studio stuff going on here - lots of playing with echoes and micing techniques.

Comment

They were great in concert, I think. It was just such a "holy shit I can't believe this is happening" kind of thing I really don't remember (and I was pretty young). They were always a bit sloppy with the notes, but not with the timing, which makes them easy enough to copy decently but extremely difficult to copy perfectly. IMHO

Comment

It's mind-blowing that there is no footage of When the Levee Breaks being played by Bonham to be found.

Comment

Originally posted by playstopause View Post
                                  It's mind-blowing that there is no footage of When the Levee Breaks being played by Bonham to be found.
                                  I don't think they played it in concert very often.

Comment

Working...
                                  X