Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Porcupine Tree

Full album coming in June next year.

Definitely better than the last SW albums, the bass and drums are really cool overall. Not sure about the lyrics - somehow they are a bit nonsensical and flow a bit awkwardly (which isn't helped by the lyric video format).
    Last edited by Markus; 11-01-2021, 12:17 PM.

Drew and I were chatting about this.

I just don't care about Wilson's work anymore. He's tripled down on his ultra pretentious power douche persona and it's completely turned me off from his music. I've said many times that he's a talented guy and I always enjoyed PT albums, but he's blathered himself out of a fan in my case. I'm sick of hearing how wonderful and clever he is from his own mouth, and that last solo album of trash he put out could have been titled "I'm So Clever, My Stupid Fans Will Buy Any Bullshit I Put Out".

/rant

Comment

I hate to say it, but Chris is right. The last album REALLY soured me on anything he has to do with. But I did listen to this song a few times. It’s just….not great. I suppose I could feel different if I gave it more time, but it certainly did not hit me like PT used to.

it kinda bums me out. I really loved PT, and even early SW solo.

Comment

Yeah, Wilson is a bit annoying with his preaching, but I'll still give this a chance. I'm hoping it could be a better album than The Incident which just felt way too disjointed (there are like ten 1-2 minute long songs on that one that are basically pointless). Doubt it'll reach the heights of In Absentia or Deadwing.

Comment

They lost me at The Incident

Steven’s brain broke or something around that time.
          Leon Today at 7:59 PM: Ripping farts is heaven

Comment

Originally posted by zepp View Post
            They lost me at The Incident

Steven’s brain broke or something around that time.
            I liked The Incident, and the tour was killer. And I even liked much of SW’s stuff, up until the last one, which is a massive WTF moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post

I liked The Incident, and the tour was killer. And I even liked much of SW’s stuff, up until the last one, which is a massive WTF moment.
              I'm of the same opinion. I think new PT could be good for Steven. I honestly feel like this new song is better than anything on Steven's last solo album. I'm cautiously optimistic for this new album.

Also it doesn't look like Colin is part of this album. I thought something was a little off with the bass tone (for PT, anyway). Booooo.

Comment

The last one meaning "To the Bone," or the last one meaning the project he released a song or two from but shelved when he couldn't tour it as planned in the pandemic? To the Bone had some weird moments, sure, but also had some pretty amazing ones. That project after it WAS pretty out there though.

Personally, it doesn't bother me Wilson is a bit of a pretentious nut - he's created a catalogue that ranges anywhere from "good" to "genre-defining," and unless he starts flashing white power signs or touching little kiddies, I can look past some personal oddity. I listened to this new track under probably the worst possible scenario - on one earbud, while working - and it didn't necessarily grab me, but it also didn't turn me off, and I'll definitely be listening to the whole thing as soon as I can.

But, I mean, let's be honest - if one of us had written both "Trains" and "The Raven That Refused To Sing," I think we could be forgiven becoming a bit pretentious about the experience, too.

Comment

Drew the last one probably being The Future Bites. He did release a couple songs, shelved it, and then eventually released the full album earlier this year.

Comment

It sounds like this isn't really "new" music but stuff they'd started working on years ago and never finished. In the middle of my day I'm not really in the frame of mind for this, but I'll give it a better listen when I have time. Way more interesting that the most recent SW album, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by tim View Post
                      Drew the last one probably being The Future Bites. He did release a couple songs, shelved it, and then eventually released the full album earlier this year.
                      I thought he was pretending like the whole thing didn’t happen, like people pretending Metallica retired after Justice.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post

The last one meaning "To the Bone," or the last one meaning the project he released a song or two from but shelved when he couldn't tour it as planned in the pandemic? To the Bone had some weird moments, sure, but also had some pretty amazing ones. That project after it WAS pretty out there though.

Personally, it doesn't bother me Wilson is a bit of a pretentious nut - he's created a catalogue that ranges anywhere from "good" to "genre-defining," and unless he starts flashing white power signs or touching little kiddies, I can look past some personal oddity. I listened to this new track under probably the worst possible scenario - on one earbud, while working - and it didn't necessarily grab me, but it also didn't turn me off, and I'll definitely be listening to the whole thing as soon as I can.

But, I mean, let's be honest - if one of us had written both "Trains" and "The Raven That Refused To Sing," I think we could be forgiven becoming a bit pretentious about the experience, too.
                        Fair points, however calling Wilson "a bit pretentious" is like calling Rusty Cooley's playing "a bit tasteless".

Wilson isn't some semi-quirky artsy type. He's an egomaniacal douche. I like PT but I wouldn't call them genre-defining by any stretch. You know who would, though? Steven Wilson.

Comment

Why is a PT album being teased 8 months from release? Get out of here. Fans have been crying for it for a decade, just drop the album out of nowhere and the fanbase will lose its mind.

My only hope is that with 3 other bandmates, Wilson can be edited and constrained; that they've not come to the table allowing him to have more or less full creative control Just Because He's Steve Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by Soopahmahn View Post
                            My only hope is that with 3 other bandmates, Wilson can be edited and constrained; that they've not come to the table allowing him to have more or less full creative control Just Because He's Steve Wilson.
                            That's why I think Raven was so good. Yes it was mostly SW, but you don't get that many talented people to lay down that many fantastic performances by telling someone like Guthrie or Marco to just robotically play whatever SW wrote. That album is incredible both because of and despite of Wilson and I think having those other people in the room made a bigger difference than most PT fans will admit. Or that SW will admit, for that matter.

The rest of the PT catalog is damn solid but it's not like the guy wrote The Wall or that they pioneered a new genre. They're a good proggy band writing some memorable tunes and some filler stinkers like every other band. The hero worship of this dude (especially by himself) is unfounded. He makes Yngwie seem modest.

Comment

No, the last one The Future Bites, which was all the EDM bullshit. To The Bone was decent; once it grew on me. TFB is fucking awful.

Comment

Please don't be shit, please don't be shit, please don't be shit.

I honestly don't know when I was this excited about a new album.

It's gonna be shit, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Astrocreep View Post

Depends on whether or not the other two can keep SW in check.

Comment

Originally posted by Astrocreep View Post

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by noodles View Post
                                        Well, this much hasn’t changed.

Comment

Ah, you know, I actually didn't know that had ever come out. From the sound of it that may have been a blessing.

Originally posted by Soopahmahn View Post
                                          Why is a PT album being teased 8 months from release? Get out of here. Fans have been crying for it for a decade, just drop the album out of nowhere and the fanbase will lose its mind.
                                          I mean, this was the clear correct answer, especially since it appears that it's at least mostly done.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                                            Drew and I were chatting about this.

I just don't care about Wilson's work anymore. He's tripled down on his ultra pretentious power douche persona and it's completely turned me off from his music. I've said many times that he's a talented guy and I always enjoyed PT albums, but he's blathered himself out of a fan in my case. I'm sick of hearing how wonderful and clever he is from his own mouth, and that last solo album of trash he put out could have been titled "I'm So Clever, My Stupid Fans Will Buy Any Bullshit I Put Out".

/rant

This. I was a pretty big fan of his work in the 2000s but my infatuation has steadily declined to the point where yesterday when this news broke, I was just like...

Comment

Ah, you know, I actually didn't know that had ever come out. From the sound of it that may have been a blessing.
                                              Probably . It's fine as a piece of pop music if you go in with little to no expectations. But it was a pretty disappointing SW album, imo.

Comment

Probably . It's fine as a piece of pop music if you go in with little to no expectations. But it was a pretty disappointing SW album, imo.

No it’s not. It’s not even good pop. It’s dog shit. Dog shit so bad, even my dog would say “JFC, that smells like shit”.

I don’t like the album.

Comment

No it’s not. It’s not even good pop. It’s dog shit. Dog shit so bad, even my dog would say “JFC, that smells like shit”.

I don’t like the album.
                                                  that is totally fair. It is definitely not for everyone (or honestly, most people that I have at least talked to about it). Also note that I said "fine". I don't know that I would even call it good. At best it's "fine". I think I listened to it twice and thought "neat. Ok, time to move on".

Comment

Working...
                                                  X