Saw a King Diamond tribute last night!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw a King Diamond tribute last night!

There’s a dude down here, Mike Rivera, who is a fucking KILLER guitarist and has a band, Made Of Metal, that does various tributes all the time. First time I met him was when a former band opened for him when they were doing a Pantera tribute. He’s done Dio, Iron Maiden, I think Dokken and a bunch of other 80’s metal. He usually uses different guys to fill out the band, especially vocalists. At the Pantera tribute they had this singer come out and do the high notes at the end of “Cemetary Gates” and this is the same dude that did the Dio set, if I remember right. Absolutely ridiculous singer. Mike’s other project is with Nicko McBrain, they do a Bad Company tribute together….not what I expected, but that’s gotta be fucking awesome for Mike because I know he’s a huge Maiden nut. Nicko lives a few miles north of me in Coral Springs, not far from his rib joint, Rock N Roll Ribs.

I didn’t film much because I was too busy diggin’ the set, they mixed up Mercyful fate and King stuff, which was fucking great. While Mike always nails the solos pretty accurately to the albums, the other guy did a pretty great job as well, Mike’s just a bit more polished as that dude lives, eats, shits and breaths 80’s metal and is just a great damn player.

My buddy Jeff was running sound and while he’s not much younger than I am, he’s much more into 90’s music than the 80’s. When I got there and said “Hey bro” to him, he goes “Haha I knew you’d be here! Hey, I don’t know shit about King Diamond so let me know if I can tweak the mix any better.”, I just told him “Every time I’ve seen him live, he’s got a shitload of delay on his vocals, especially the high notes, so just ride it and whenever you hear him going up in pitch, rock that slider.” He was standing next to me using an iPad to mix with, at one point he goes, “Thank god I’ve got a fucking tap tempo on this, these songs change tempo every 30 seconds!”

It’s been so long since I’ve been to a local metal show, I shit my pants when I got in the parking lot and saw about 100 metalheads. It was glorious!

Shit, I just realized I forgot to talk to Mike about that 5150 head sitting there. I’m pretty sure it’s one of the new ones. He was using his normal Randall rig with the old Dimebag Warhead cabs. He wasn’t using the 2x15 though.
    Last edited by RevDrucifer; 10-31-2021, 05:08 PM.
    The Karmic Law is not kismet. It is not fate but cause and effect. It is a taskmaster to the unwise; a servant to the wise.

Damn they did that well. I would love to see them some time.

So Flo has had a bunch of great bands like that. I met a drummer in Kenall GC that played Metropolis like nothing. I was the only one there, he was shocked I knew what it was with no other music going on, I was like Dude we gotta jam!! lol
    "Slow Hand"

Comment

Jeez, the singer sounds almost identical to the King. Sheesh! That's awesome to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdave View Post
        Damn they did that well. I would love to see them some time.

So Flo has had a bunch of great bands like that. I met a drummer in Kenall GC that played Metropolis like nothing. I was the only one there, he was shocked I knew what it was with no other music going on, I was like Dude we gotta jam!! lol
        The last 5 years it seems to have dried up here, which is why I was so stoked to pull into that parking lot and see a shitload of metalheads in front of the venue. I’m 99% sure the last time I saw a live metal band play, it was the last band I quit 6 years ago. We played the final night one of the bars in town was open and that was one of the few places to play down here. Initially I thought it was just me not being in those social circles anymore, but my FB feed dried up of shows around the same time. Slowly, the shows have started popping up again. It was really a matter of having a venue to play in as this city is not like it was 15 years ago when you could make money playing prog-metal with a few covers thrown in. They’re starting to pop up again, surely a result of bars trying to get people in after the pandemic and probably being hounded by the few guys who are trying to bring some life back to the scene.
        The Karmic Law is not kismet. It is not fate but cause and effect. It is a taskmaster to the unwise; a servant to the wise.

Comment

Originally posted by General Klinger View Post
          Jeez, the singer sounds almost identical to the King. Sheesh! That's awesome to hear.
          That vid was at the end of a an hour and a half set, I could tell he was starting to feel it a bit, but for 3/4’s of it he was spot fucking on. Between his pitch and the voices, it was really fucking crazy.

Just found this vid from the 2nd time my band played with them, this is from their Dio set. Same singer and he definitely pulls off King’s voice better than Dio’s, but he’s just a killer singer all around.

Comment

A few more of various tributes they’ve done-

This one’s got Nicko playing drums and Bobby Gustafson from Overkill on “Two Minutes To Midnight”

The first time I played with them was this show, the Pantera tribute. I remember not being blown away by the vocalist that night (not the same dude) and now I remember why.

Some Dokken-

And some Slayer-

I talked to Mike, the guitarist, about doing either an AIC or a Lamb of God tribute a few years back and he was interested, but I never pushed it further. Probably something I should pursue again….especially now that I can actually sing that shit and I was no where near ready to back then.

Comment

This thread rules. Would 100% go see any of these iterations (except the shitty Pantera one ).

Comment

Working...
              X