Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MAN IT"S A HOT ONE, Santana and Rob Thomas return with Smooth Pt. II

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    MAN IT"S A HOT ONE, Santana and Rob Thomas return with Smooth Pt. II



    Let's hope this is a huge hit so we can have more hilarious Santana interviews.

    #2

    Comment


      #3
      Santana's tone makes me want to stop playing Boogies.

      Comment


        #4
        Smooth it ain't, but what is? It's quite catchy. I dig it.

        Comment


          #5
          Catchy....just like the first one.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Leon View Post
            Santana's tone makes me want to stop playing Boogies.
            Santanats tone is soooo good my fav lead tone.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Leon View Post
              Santana's tone makes me want to stop playing Boogies.
              That sounds suspiciously like the CabClone Quiqs sold me.

              Comment


                #8
                Carlos' previous studio album Africa Speakswas the best and most interesting thing he'd done since the '70s. He had his band play some deeply funky and organic grooves, and he brought in the Afro-Spanish singer Buika for an unusual approach.




                Sad to see he's going to back to the stale pop-driven approach with Rob Thomas.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by jacksonplayer View Post
                  Sad to see he's going to back to the stale pop-driven approach with Rob Thomas.
                  $$$$$$

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Leon View Post
                    Santana's tone makes me want to stop playing guitar
                    Fixed

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Any time I hear anything about Rob Thomas all I can think of is It's Always Sunny.

                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by beneharris View Post
                        Any time I hear anything about Rob Thomas all I can think of is It's Always Sunny.
                        The episode where Dennis writes his erotic memoir and gets his hand impaled with a nailgun for the stigmata thing?

                        That is one of the best episodes in the entire run of the show. Maybe the best now that the "The Gang Make Lethal Weapon 6" episode got pulled from everything for including blackface and is no longer considered an episode. I actually forgot Rob Thomas even made an appearance in that one. He's not as memorable a guest star as Roddy Piper.

                        Glenn Howerton is also allegedly a metal fan and listens to Gojira and shit.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Oh look, formulaic pop garbage. I am shocked.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Greg McCoy View Post

                            The episode where Dennis writes his erotic memoir and gets his hand impaled with a nailgun for the stigmata thing?

                            That is one of the best episodes in the entire run of the show. Maybe the best now that the "The Gang Make Lethal Weapon 6" episode got pulled from everything for including blackface and is no longer considered an episode. I actually forgot Rob Thomas even made an appearance in that one. He's not as memorable a guest star as Roddy Piper.

                            Glenn Howerton is also allegedly a metal fan and listens to Gojira and shit.
                            Yeah, that's the episode. So great.

                            Roddy was such a good cameo "awe guys the maniac loves you"


                            It's amazing to me out of all of the things that happen in that show that blackface is the only thing that got canned.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by beneharris View Post

                              Yeah, that's the episode. So great.

                              Roddy was such a good cameo "awe guys the maniac loves you"


                              It's amazing to me out of all of the things that happen in that show that blackface is the only thing that got canned.
                              Yeah, a lot of that stuff from the show when it was in its prime wouldn't fly today, or even like, two/three years after they aired it. Stuff like "Sweet Dee is dating a retard" and all the episodes with Mac's trans girlfriend and jokes referencing her will probably be pulled eventually though. It got less extreme when Kaitlin Olson and Rob McElhenney started having kids (they are married) Season 2-6 are the legendary seasons. Though it's had a great run. I think when they started having kids they toned it down a little and in general as time has gone on they have become more politically correct.


                              Comment


                                #16
                                Originally posted by Greg McCoy View Post

                                Yeah, a lot of that stuff from the show when it was in its prime wouldn't fly today, or even like, two/three years after they aired it. Stuff like "Sweet Dee is dating a retard" and all the episodes with Mac's trans girlfriend and jokes referencing her will probably be pulled eventually though. It got less extreme when Kaitlin Olson and Rob McElhenney started having kids (they are married) Season 2-6 are the legendary seasons. Though it's had a great run. I think when they started having kids they toned it down a little and in general as time has gone on they have become more politically correct.

                                Yeah I agree. As the show went on it mellowed. Season 8 and up just kind of got stale.

                                There is nothing funnier than the early seasons just listening to them yell at each other. It's gold.

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  But somehow they made that sweet dee dating a retard episode just sooo funny.


                                  "straight out of Compton yall. Naw, straight out of thrilla"

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Call me tasteless but I actually like Smooth. It's far from the best song ever but it's catchy, it's got a good groove to it, and it's a helluva lot better than anything else that gets played on the radio here. It's no Samba pa ti or Black Magic Woman though.

                                    This, though? Nah. Nothing about it really stands out for me.

                                    ...turns out Kirk Hammett's a guest on one of the tracks on the album too.

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      Originally posted by tibernius View Post

                                      ...turns out Kirk Hammett's a guest on one of the tracks on the album too.
                                      Wouldn't be the first time.



                                      I'll have to check out Africa Speaks. I loved Santana's stuff up until the mid 80s and that song posted by Jacksonplayer sounds great.

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        Originally posted by Mike View Post

                                        That sounds suspiciously like the CabClone Quiqs sold me.
                                        The fact that he sold that to you truly proves he cares nothing of your happiness.

                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          Originally posted by Jeff View Post

                                          The fact that he sold that to you truly proves he cares nothing of your happiness.
                                          I literally just bought it to feed our in-ears. It's only mildly horrible in that role.

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            Originally posted by Jeff View Post

                                            The fact that he sold that to you truly proves he cares nothing of your happiness.
                                            Payback for buying like 20 Division CDs.

                                            Comment


                                              #23
                                              Originally posted by jacksonplayer View Post
                                              Carlos' previous studio album Africa Speakswas the best and most interesting thing he'd done since the '70s. He had his band play some deeply funky and organic grooves, and he brought in the Afro-Spanish singer Buika for an unusual approach.




                                              Sad to see he's going to back to the stale pop-driven approach with Rob Thomas.
                                              This is actually surprisingly good - I think his playing may have slowed down somewhat but his touch is still there, and this is some of the most vital stuff I've heard from him since at least the 80s (Europa being the only reason I'm not saying further back than that).

                                              Comment


                                                #24
                                                Originally posted by Drew View Post

                                                This is actually surprisingly good - I think his playing may have slowed down somewhat but his touch is still there, and this is some of the most vital stuff I've heard from him since at least the 80s (Europa being the only reason I'm not saying further back than that).
                                                It's an interesting album, because Rick Rubin produced it and essentially got Carlos to put more bite into the music and go with a more organic, stripped-down approach. He and the band developed a series of grooves to which the singer, Buika, later came in and wrote lyrics to. Carlos played a Strat on the album rather than a PRS, interestingly.

                                                Comment


                                                  #25
                                                  Originally posted by jacksonplayer View Post

                                                  It's an interesting album, because Rick Rubin produced it and essentially got Carlos to put more bite into the music and go with a more organic, stripped-down approach. He and the band developed a series of grooves to which the singer, Buika, later came in and wrote lyrics to. Carlos played a Strat on the album rather than a PRS, interestingly.
                                                  Very interesting... Only time I've eber heard of him doing that was the collaboration with Clapton on that album the Rob Thomas tune was on. That explains the graininess of his tone a bit, but it still sounds like him.

                                                  By the way I don't know if anyone here watches "Dave" and given the subject matter I suspect not, but we hit the Rick Ruben episode of season 2 last night, and if you can get past the fact you won't know a thing about a single character on the show and won't know who everyone is (which for this particular episode isn't a huge deal, oddly), it's fucking awesome.

                                                  Comment

                                                  Working...
                                                  X