• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance: Bad...

Comments: Gold:

:o:o:o

Comment

So I did some reading about her when this came up on my feed recently - I was intrigued by just the sheer level of horribleness I was hearing. Apparently she is a Masters student at Oxford with a bachelor's in sociology. This is 100% performance art to get a viral reaction, there's really not many other explanations for such well-produced, insanely horrible vocals.

That, or microtonal singing is truly the next frontier and she's an absolute pioneer

Comment

It's hard to believe she was serious when she made this. I mean, it's just so intentional about so many glaringly wrong things (such as the layered vocals all singing out of key or how the layered vocals just come in at really bizarre places). The extremely weak voice can't be fixed in post-production, but pitch correction could at least get her in key (though the held out notes at the end would still sound just as pathetic, but just not off key like they are now). The lyrics also seemed so over-the-top stereotypical that it does make me wonder whether it was made as some kind of prank or something. Plus, the verse melody isn't really a melody. It's almost just like talking while vaguely hitting random notes.

Comment

Originally posted by Naren View Post
          It's hard to believe she was serious when she made this. I mean, it's just so intentional about so many glaringly wrong things (such as the layered vocals all singing out of key or how the layered vocals just come in at really bizarre places). The extremely weak voice can't be fixed in post-production, but pitch correction could at least get her in key (though the held out notes at the end would still sound just as pathetic, but just not off key like they are now). The lyrics also seemed so over-the-top stereotypical that it does make me wonder whether it was made as some kind of prank or something. Plus, the verse melody isn't really a melody. It's almost just like talking while vaguely hitting random notes.
          it's pretty amazing what someone with gumption and no self-awareness can create. i've been thankful enough to not work with too many singers like this, but they certainly exist. i'm just curious as to who was really calling the shots in the session. was there some "producer" that didn't know what he was doing, but knew just enough to be dangerous? or was she making the decisions and a despondent and defeated engineer was just agreeing so that they could get her out of the studio ASAP? who knows. occasionally you just have to admit defeat on a session and hope they don't credit you for your work.

Comment

This has very high production values for a sociological experiment, but, yeah, I could see that.

Or maybe she just thinks she's good?

Comment

This is what Blub was trying to do, guys. He just ain't got what she do. One can found all the gear companies one wants and get free shizz from all the rest but one still only got what one got.

Comment

Still better than Tom Waits.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  Still better than Tom Waits.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	80
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	21173

Comment

OMG yes, the comments are indeed gold.

I attempted to run this through Antares Auto-Tune on Pro Tools and now my computer is on fire and my wife left me.
                    Whatever they’re playing at Guantanamo Bay, should be replaced by this on loop
                    She's not only hitting the notes, she's beating them up
                    Has anybody checked on Rick Beato? I‘m worried he‘s going to harm himself if he hears this.

Comment

^

It has to be a joke.

Comment

Q: What key is this in?
                        A: Yes

Is this a sly ad for an autotune plugin... like they let this go the viral route then BAM LOOK HOW GREAT OUR PLUGIN IS and they release a new version with good vocals.

O K T H E N

Comment

It's much better to watch on mute

Comment

I'd like to know the information being researched if it were indeed part of a sociology test, just out of curiosity.

There was that older woman who went viral a few years back because she was terrible, she came after Rebecca Black and the whole "Friday" thing, which, IMO, isn't any better than this shit just because it was auto-tuned to fuck and back. I want to say the woman I'm referencing was doing a country kind of thing and it was just a situation of her having enough cash to blow on recording a song and making a video for it.

I mean, shit, YouTube is FULL of shitty "musicians", so how is it these "diamonds" in the rough can be picked out and made viral?
                            The Karmic Law is not kismet. It is not fate but cause and effect. It is a taskmaster to the unwise; a servant to the wise.

Comment

The video's gotten over 450k views in under a month, so perhaps it's we tonally inclined people who are off.

Comment

Instead of a out of tune experiment, she could have just fed a small village in a poor country with the money they spent/made on this turd. IMO
                                "Slow Hand"

Comment

Originally posted by bigdave View Post
                                  Instead of a out of tune experiment, she could have just fed a small village in a poor country with the money they spent/made on this turd. IMO
                                  How unAmerican of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post

How unAmerican of you.
                                    I'm no radical by any stretch, but shouldn't all that education involve some applied theory ? This to me is from Plastic World where Plastic people make Plastic moves for Plastic fame...... time to recycle.
                                    "Slow Hand"

Comment

Working...
                                    X