Where is your star?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is your star?

I forgot what a great combo Dio and Blackmore made. Two chord vamps, Phrygian tones and despairing lyrics about primitive occultism. I snagged a nice copy of Rising on vinyl over the weekend and I've played this track a dozen times already. What a killer epic.

When do we leave?

Seriously, everyone should own this record and blast it at uncomfortable volumes for the neighbors.

Comment

EEEEEN THU HEEEEEEEAT AAAN THU RAAAAAAAIN!
      WITH THU WHIIIIIIPS AAAAN CHAAAAAAAINS!

Comment

The second half of that side of the album almost didn't make it. As the story goes, Ritchie almost killed Light In The Black, but Cozy Powell persisted, and it had a place on the album, and a perfect accompaniment to Stargazer.

Comment

^ Really? Wow. I hadn't hear that song before but I agree it flowed perfectly from Stargazer.

Comment

Originally posted by Soopahmahn View Post
            ^ Really? Wow. I hadn't hear that song before but I agree it flowed perfectly from Stargazer.
            Yeah, that's one of the greatest "side two"s in the history of rock

Comment

Originally posted by lespauled View Post
              The second half of that side of the album almost didn't make it. As the story goes, Ritchie almost killed Light In The Black, but Cozy Powell persisted, and it had a place on the album, and a perfect accompaniment to Stargazer.

That might explain why they didn't play "Light in the Black" live. I always thought that was a weird choice given that "Stargazer" was a setlist regular in '76-77.

Comment

In one of my Blackmore/Rainbow bios, Ritchie states that they tried to play Stargazer & Light In The Black, back to back, in rehearsal.....just like on the album, but its was a no go as it just totally wiped Cozy out.Thus, they knew they'd never be able to pull it off live....& we're talking Cozy Powell here!!

Comment

They played it live, but not back to back. It was their encore. Cozy was an absolute beast.

Here's Hiroshima with Light In The Black as an encore:

Comment

Love that song... I'd love to get my band to cover it.

Comment

I saw an interview with Dio and he was not very happy with side two of the record either. He thought it was musically over-indulgent and was a bit annoyed that most people consider it to be quintessential Rainbow. The fool.

Comment

Originally posted by Lozek View Post
                        I saw an interview with Dio and he was not very happy with side two of the record either. He thought it was musically over-indulgent and was a bit annoyed that most people consider it to be quintessential Rainbow. The fool.
                        That was right after he left Rainbow, and he was still bitter about it. Ritchie was loosing a ton of money putting the band on tour, and he wanted to get more commercial play. They had a discussion about writing a love song, and Dio was against it. Eventually, they wrote Rainbow Eyes, but it wasn't the radio friendly hit that Ritchie was looking for. So, they parted ways.

Comment

Originally posted by lespauled View Post

That was right after he left Rainbow, and he was still bitter about it. Ritchie was loosing a ton of money putting the band on tour, and he wanted to get more commercial play. They had a discussion about writing a love song, and Dio was against it. Eventually, they wrote Rainbow Eyes, but it wasn't the radio friendly hit that Ritchie was looking for. So, they parted ways.
                          Well, the *way* they parted ways was a little more complicated, what with Dio showing up at the studio and Bonnett being there laying down tracks...

Comment

Originally posted by Stitsel View Post
                            In one of my Blackmore/Rainbow bios, Ritchie states that they tried to play Stargazer & Light In The Black, back to back, in rehearsal.....just like on the album, but its was a no go as it just totally wiped Cozy out.Thus, they knew they'd never be able to pull it off live....& we're talking Cozy Powell here!!
                            I remember reading that story, and I don't believe it for a minute. Now, what I *could* believe is that they needed the setlist space to get a couple more "known" songs into the set, even if those songs ended up also being way extended versions (which that version of Rainbow tended to do).

They only played it a time or two, I believe.

Ronnie has always sort of talked around what happened with him leaving Rainbow. If he walked in on Bonnet laying down tracks, then that might explain his lack of interest in talking about. He wasn't big on tell-all stuff, most of the time. Elsewhere, he's said that he knew it was coming based on what Ritchie was saying about going to a lighter sound.

Comment

O K T H E N

Comment

Working...
                              X