Suhr reactive load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suhr reactive load

Does anyone use a Suhr reactive load? I will be buying a used one soon. Time to start playing again!

It’s a really good piece, for sure. I shouldn’t have sold mine.

Comment

Have they released a new one with IRs on board? Not sure if that matters to you, if not, the Suhr reactive load is absolutely fantastic. Otherwise the Captor X and the Mesa CabClone IR units allow you to load IRs directly onto the device itself. I personally like that approach with outboard recording gear as you can get the miked cab sound going into the front-end of whatever mic pres, compressors, eqs, etc. that you might use.

Comment

Originally posted by desertdweller View Post
        Have they released a new one with IRs on board? Not sure if that matters to you, if not, the Suhr reactive load is absolutely fantastic. Otherwise the Captor X and the Mesa CabClone IR units allow you to load IRs directly onto the device itself. I personally like that approach with outboard recording gear as you can get the miked cab sound going into the front-end of whatever mic pres, compressors, eqs, etc. that you might use.
        Yup. They creatively called it 'reactive load IR'
        My blog and a spot to buy DIY valve amp & effect pedal PCBS www.aurora-audio.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post

Yup. They creatively called it 'reactive load IR'
          Fantastic, one more great option on the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
            It’s a really good piece, for sure. I shouldn’t have sold mine.
            Why did you sell it?

Comment

Originally posted by schreckmusic View Post
              Why did you sell it?
              Because I was going to get the IR version, and then it was back ordered, and then I got the Captor X. But the Captor X, while being really good, isn't quite as good of a reactive load as the Suhr is, IMO. There really is a difference with the Suhr, in terms of feel. You have to try it to believe it.

Comment

Because I was going to get the IR version, and then it was back ordered, and then I got the Captor X. But the Captor X, while being really good, isn't quite as good of a reactive load as the Suhr is, IMO. There really is a difference with the Suhr, in terms of feel. You have to try it to believe it.
                It's because the two notes load is technically only reactive in the high end. The impedence curve nowhere near reassembles that of a cab.

But saying that they do still sound great.
                My blog and a spot to buy DIY valve amp & effect pedal PCBS www.aurora-audio.co.uk

Comment

Tony Have you thought about making a proper one Tony? Something you could maybe sell on your website? Doesn't have to have the IR functionality, but a good reactive load box similar to the suhr in quality would be very cool. Could even be rack based.

Comment

It's because the two notes load is technically only reactive in the high end. The impedence curve nowhere near reassembles that of a cab.

But saying that they do still sound great.
                    Yeah that’s kinda why I’m thinking I’ll go the Suhr route again, and then use my HX Stomp for cab/effects as well as audio interface.

Comment

Yeah that’s kinda why I’m thinking I’ll go the Suhr route again, and then use my HX Stomp for cab/effects as well as audio interface.
                      If you aren't 100% set yet also look into the St rock react ir for another good one.

JJ got one not so long back and seems to be happy with it

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                        Tony Have you thought about making a proper one Tony? Something you could maybe sell on your website? Doesn't have to have the IR functionality, but a good reactive load box similar to the suhr in quality would be very cool. Could even be rack based.
                        I've built one myself but it was a kit from tubetown but it's Randall aikens design which is what the Suhr one is based on.

I could put something together. Is it something you would want?

They're very simple.

Comment

If you aren't 100% set yet also look into the St rock react ir for another good one.

JJ got one not so long back and seems to be happy with it
                          Yeah, I got one of these a little while ago: https://www.st-rock.com/reactir/

It's pretty cool, I like that it has a volume control for the attenuator, works really well. I noticed it was a bit touchy on the very low end of the pot travel and opened it up and looks very neat and well made inside.

Comment

Ooh, the St. Rock is Ukrainian designed and engineered. One more way to say “Fuck you, Putin!”

Comment

Watching this thread. I've currently got the option to convert an outbuilding into a sound-proof space to mic amps, wondering whether a loadbox might be a good stepping stone to moving that way as it'll take a year or two to get the conversion done.

Comment

Originally posted by Lozek View Post
                                Watching this thread. I've currently got the option to convert an outbuilding into a sound-proof space to mic amps, wondering whether a loadbox might be a good stepping stone to moving that way as it'll take a year or two to get the conversion done.
                                As I know you are handy with a soldering iron look into the tube town tone hound lite.

Its essentially the same design with small differences.

Comment

Hmm. I might have to look into that.

Comment

Working...
                                  X