7 String Neck Pickup Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 String Neck Pickup Recommendations?

Trying to decide what neck pickup to pair with the Nazgul in my Franken7. I have an Entwistle shoved in there now, but it's a bridge pickup I was experimenting with and that was a total fail - just haven't taken it out since I don't have anything to replace it with other than the stock Jackson neck pup.

I don't want a Sentient, and had a 59 I liked (but didn't love), so those are out. I want something with great clarity that will contrast the brutal, old school gain stuff I play. Asked on the SD forums and the Black Winter neck seems to be the frontrunner, but I really, REALLY didn't like the 6-string BW bridge I had, so I'm hesitant on that. Someone also recommended the Full Shred, but listening to the samples they have on the SD sales page, the FS is too thin for me.

After bouncing thru the sound samples of the Sentient, BW and FS, the BW wins by a mile. But, I loved the sound samples I heard of the BW bridge, too, then it sucked IRL.

I know Drew is gonna recommend a PAF Pro, but what else do you think would fit the bill of what I'm chasing?

Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

Duncan Jazz 7 is a great neck pickup. Warm without being woolly (like a 59) and clear without being thin or ice-picky.

Comment

I'm such a 90s Petrucci fan, I will always recommend the DiMarzio Air Norton. it's just the best for fast alternate picking as it's very percussive and smooth at the same time. Kills for jazz and blues leads as well when in whatever the 4th position is on Ibanez guitar switches.

Of the neck pickups I've used, the Air Norton is my #1 and the Liquifire is my #2. I think Angel is still using Petrucci's pickup scheme from the 90s too, the Air Norton and the Tone Zone. Yep just checked, he is:

https://charvel.com/gear/series/arti...ova/2979411578

Comment

Blaze or Air Norton IMO. The liquifire is alright (I have a couple in my JPs) but they're mediocre IMO, I'm just too lazy/busy to replace them.. They represent the later version of JPs tone that's more brittle and tinny, versus his fucking glorious 90s tone when he was skinny, had that sweet DESTROY jacket and played Picassos.

Comment

I like the Suhr Hot-7 neck, if you can find one, and of course my Soloist 7 was a Wolfetone take on a Jazz, but that's not easily obtainable. The standard Jazz loses something over the 6 string version IMO. I didn't like the Sentient at all, and the Black Winter is...OK, but I think everything about that pickup is overhyped.

I actually like the Distortion 7 string neck from the couple of times I've played one. Balance should be pretty solid with the Nazgul, too.

Comment

That Hot-7 is awesome, I forgot about those. I had one in my Suhr 7 and I think Drew has one in his too. Really great, well-balanced pickup that sounds cool for everything IMO.

Comment

Found a great deal on a Black Winter neck pup last night and ordered it. If that doesn't work out, I can just resell it. Next up I'll try the Air Norton. I thought about the Distortion 7, but the 6 string version never wowed me, it was alright, but nothing fantastic.

Comment

Love me the air norton 7, although i swap the magnets in them to alnico8 ones. Also quite partial to the blaze neck.

Comment

Originally posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
                  Also quite partial to the blaze neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron1 View Post
                    Found a great deal on a Black Winter neck pup last night and ordered it. If that doesn't work out, I can just resell it. Next up I'll try the Air Norton. I thought about the Distortion 7, but the 6 string version never wowed me, it was alright, but nothing fantastic.
                    The 7 is better. Makes no sense, I know - I don't like the 6 string version either.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post

The 7 is better. Makes no sense, I know - I don't like the 6 string version either.
                      I totally get it though. I've played plenty of 6 and then 7 string pickups only to have them sound totally different... weird, but true.

Usually it's "This sounds great as a 6, but the low B string is awful sounding in a 7".

Comment

I know Drew is gonna recommend a PAF Pro, but what else do you think would fit the bill of what I'm chasing?

Normally I'd suggest the PAF7, but for a Nazgul in the bridge... If it's indeed voiced like a hotter Pegasus, then it's hot, but - to my ears - bright, present, and sterile. If you want something to balance tonally, that ISN'T a Sentient, I'd look at a DActivator 7.

Comment

I had a distortion 7 neck with my nazgul, should sell them since they're soapbar and have been sitting in a box for like 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Kagami View Post
                            I had a distortion 7 neck with my nazgul, should sell them since they're soapbar and have been sitting in a box for like 4 years.
                            I assume that means that combo didn't wow you?

Comment

I assume that means that combo didn't wow you?
                              I got it for that Schecter 7 I had which I put the stock pickups back in when I sold so they've just been chilling since then.

Comment

Working...
                              X