Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have any details about these guitar picks?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Does anyone have any details about these guitar picks?

    A buddy left this at my house ages ago, and it has turned into one of my favorite guitar picks. I'd like to buy some similar ones, but I don't know what to get.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture5.PNG
Views:	155
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	30336


    I know these are special picks that were included when someone bought one of the 20th anniversary RGs, so I don't expect to buy these exact picks. But I don't know anything about the specs of this, so I can buy something that is similar. I somehow can't find anything about them on the internet other than they're special for those particular RGs.

    Any advice would be awesome.

    #2
    are they acrylic?

    Comment


      #3
      Maybe? I literally have no idea. Comparing it to some of my other picks, acrylic could be very likely.

      If I had to guess at any of the specs, it would be:

      1mm
      possibly acrylic
      sharp/short tear drop shape (depending on which manufacture you reference)

      All I know is I love it and I want more, but I don't know what to get that would be close.

      Comment


        #4
        I'd poke around here:

        https://www.ibanez.com/na/products/model/picks/

        Tough to say for sure, but it LOOKS like either their CP16XH or CP14MH shape, or maybe the CP16H. The Kaliedo series is made out of a "copolyester called Tritan" that's "...transparent like glass, yet durable and easy to shape" and "slightly softer compared to ordinary picks," if that sounds like it could be what you're looking at?

        They ARE pretty cool looking:

        Comment


          #5
          Shape looks to be between the new Dunlop Flow and a 'standard' pick.

          Comment


            #6
            RG20th owner here. Still have the picks that came with it, although I haven't touched them in years. From what I remember, they're pretty similar to other Ibanez picks; I should have some of them laying around somewhere, so I can try to make a comparison.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Drew View Post
              I'd poke around here:

              https://www.ibanez.com/na/products/model/picks/

              Tough to say for sure, but it LOOKS like either their CP16XH or CP14MH shape, or maybe the CP16H. The Kaliedo series is made out of a "copolyester called Tritan" that's "...transparent like glass, yet durable and easy to shape" and "slightly softer compared to ordinary picks," if that sounds like it could be what you're looking at?

              They ARE pretty cool looking:

              Those are pretty cool. I’ll take a look. Thanks for the suggestion!



              Originally posted by Valtteri View Post
              RG20th owner here. Still have the picks that came with it, although I haven't touched them in years. From what I remember, they're pretty similar to other Ibanez picks; I should have some of them laying around somewhere, so I can try to make a comparison.
              That would be great!

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by tim View Post

                That would be great!
                Managed to find some old Ibanez picks to compare with, and the RG 20th picks are definitely the "Short Teardrop Shape" or the "16" size as described in the directory Drew linked to. Didn't remember to take a close look at the thickness of them, but they feel similar to the Heavies I have, which are 1.0 mm; I can measure them with calipers tomorrow. Can't really tell what the RG20th picks are made from, other than that they're different from the other Ibanez picks I have, the Rubber Grip and Sand Grip ones, so can't really help you there; they make that shape in a few different materials though.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8176.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	30440

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Valtteri View Post

                  Managed to find some old Ibanez picks to compare with, and the RG 20th picks are definitely the "Short Teardrop Shape" or the "16" size as described in the directory Drew linked to. Didn't remember to take a close look at the thickness of them, but they feel similar to the Heavies I have, which are 1.0 mm; I can measure them with calipers tomorrow. Can't really tell what the RG20th picks are made from, other than that they're different from the other Ibanez picks I have, the Rubber Grip and Sand Grip ones, so can't really help you there; they make that shape in a few different materials though.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8176.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	30440
                  Thanks for doing that! My guess is 1mm as well. No need the measure those. I have a couple of 1mm and 1.2 mm picks, and the RG pick seems to be closer to the 1mm.

                  Now if we can just determine the material. I have some sharp Ultex picks from Dunlop,and they’re close, but not quite right. Whatever it is, it seems to be harder than most picks.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    tim I agree with Leon that the material resembles the Dunlop flow. I'd encourage you to snag a variety pack and see if any of these are close

                    https://www.amazon.com/JIM-DUNLOP-Va...dp/B07Q9JB3CF/

                    Click image for larger version

Name:	61jo9OR8Q+L._AC_SL1200_.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	30445

                    I can tell you the 1 mm flow pulled me away from 20+ years playing Jazz IIIs, if that means anything.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      desertdweller That does actually help. I was playing jazz IIIs for a while before I really took a liking to this RG pick. I’ve been seeing a lot of good things about the flow picks recently too. I’ll definitely check them out!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I was a jazz 3 guy for years and years but i switced to 2mm flow picks and never looked back. Like Vince said try a variety pack.
                        O K T H E N

                        Comment


                          #13
                          The material will be wrong with the Flows - Ultex, so if you've played the Ultex Jazz III then you're familiar - but it's definitely in the right ballpark for the shape so if a stiffer material version of that pick sounds appealing, well, my go-to pick of choice at the moment is the Flow 1.0's. They're great picks.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Webdood View Post
                            I was a jazz 3 guy for years and years but i switced to 2mm flow picks and never looked back. Like Vince said try a variety pack.
                            I tried 1mm and 1,5mm Flows this week and while I get the appeal, especially for rhythm playing, I didn't like them for leads. And that's crazy, since there's not a world of difference versus the Jazz III shape. Just a bit a difference makes for a big change when it comes to the little details in your playing, I guess. For now, I guess I'll stick with Jazz III's. After more than 5 years, I guess that's what I'm confortable with.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by playstopause View Post

                              I tried 1mm and 1,5mm Flows this week and while I get the appeal, especially for rhythm playing, I didn't like them for leads. And that's crazy, since there's not a world of difference versus the Jazz III shape. Just a bit a difference makes for a big change when it comes to the little details in your playing, I guess. For now, I guess I'll stick with Jazz III's. After more than 5 years, I guess that's what I'm confortable with.
                              You might like the Ernie Ball Prodigy Picks. They have a beveled edge kind of like the flow picks but come in other shapes. I use the super pointy jazzIIi versions some. They only come in 1.5 or 2 mm though.

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	P09342.png
Views:	31
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	31102
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	P09203.png
Views:	30
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	31103
                              O K T H E N

                              Comment


                                #16
                                For what it's worth, I did end up picking up the flow variety pack. Not the same feel as the RG pick at all, but so far I really like them. Oddly enough, I really connected with the .73....which is just odd because I've been use 1mm for like a decade.

                                Also funny enough, I emailed Ibanez support about this as well, and they basically said "We dunno. Sorry ". I totally get it because those picks are ancient now, and they were a special run for those 20th anniversary RGs. Ah well...it was worth asking.

                                Thanks everyone for the suggestions on this.

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  tim I love the .73 for acoustic guitar and if I'm recording clean electric guitar. The 1.0 is perfect for me for just about all my everyday playing, but the .73 feels and sounds so good on an acoustic.

                                  Comment

                                  Working...
                                  X