Ty Tabor demoing some Orange amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ty Tabor demoing some Orange amps

I'll be honest, I couldn't give a flying fuck if Ty was demoing an actual potato. So long as I get to hear this motherfucker play.

How long has he been using a PRS?

That dude’s played more brands than Dino!
    The Karmic Law is not kismet. It is not fate but cause and effect. It is a taskmaster to the unwise; a servant to the wise.

Comment

This is the one with the Crush preamp and the Pedal Baby power amp, yeah?

Comment

Originally posted by RevDrucifer View Post
        How long has he been using a PRS?

That dude’s played more brands than Dino!
        I don't know if he's using them exclusively. Unlike Dino, I find Ty just loves exploring different sounds. I'm kinda the same. I have my one core brand that I stick to (Charvel) but I like to try stuff out and experiment, but inevitably always come back to my Charvels. Ty is like that with Fender strats. That will always be what he comes back to, ultimately.

Also unlike Dino, he's not carrying endorsements. He's not standing there saying "this is my signature model and it's the best thing in the world.. but wait I lied, here's another thing!" He's just kinda using whatever he's using at the time. He's only ever had one signature and that was with Yamaha, and he seemed to drop that pretty quickly. It's often the case that brands chase endorsees, rather than the other way around. He got that sig during the 5 minutes that King's X were sorta kinda big? Companies will come around courting you, telling you they'll make you whatever. If he's someone who's changing guitars a lot, it's no wonder it didn't last long, and they just happened to get him at a certain point where he was playing that kind of guitar. Of course, a true Ty Tabor signature would just be a Fender strat with a few tweaks

Not to mention, we don't even know if that PRS is his? Could've just been what they had where they shot the video.

In any case, he's definitely one of those dudes who just sounds like him, no matter what he's using.

Originally posted by Leon View Post
        This is the one with the Crush preamp and the Pedal Baby power amp, yeah?
        Yeah, I think so.

I had the CR120 and it was good. Not good enough to stick around. I bought it on a free-returns policy just to try it, and yeah, it was ok, but I couldn't get anything that I'd use out of it. Not when I already have amps that do exactly what I want them to do.

But, as with most things I try these days, I feel like I sent it back too soon. Perhaps I should have spent some more time with it, or tried some more fx with it, as it's good to have contrasting amps for different things. Might not have been something I played through a lot, but it's one of those things where if the mood takes you in that direction that you can really vibe with it (though for that I think I'd prefer an old single channel Marshall or a valve Orange or something)

Comment

I've never in my life played an Orange amp that I liked. However Ty's playing always sounds awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattayus View Post

I don't know if he's using them exclusively. Unlike Dino, I find Ty just loves exploring different sounds. I'm kinda the same. I have my one core brand that I stick to (Charvel) but I like to try stuff out and experiment, but inevitably always come back to my Charvels. Ty is like that with Fender strats. That will always be what he comes back to, ultimately.

Also unlike Dino, he's not carrying endorsements. He's not standing there saying "this is my signature model and it's the best thing in the world.. but wait I lied, here's another thing!" He's just kinda using whatever he's using at the time. He's only ever had one signature and that was with Yamaha, and he seemed to drop that pretty quickly. It's often the case that brands chase endorsees, rather than the other way around. He got that sig during the 5 minutes that King's X were sorta kinda big? Companies will come around courting you, telling you they'll make you whatever. If he's someone who's changing guitars a lot, it's no wonder it didn't last long, and they just happened to get him at a certain point where he was playing that kind of guitar. Of course, a true Ty Tabor signature would just be a Fender strat with a few tweaks

Not to mention, we don't even know if that PRS is his? Could've just been what they had where they shot the video.

In any case, he's definitely one of those dudes who just sounds like him, no matter what he's using.
            That's true! Still, nothing beats those Dogman tones for me. That album is just a fucking beast all around. When I saw King's X at NAMM 2011 I saw them in the Mackie live room, which fit about 20 attendees, he was using his Egnator rig at the time and I think he was using some custom built guitars, if I remember right, they were more LP shaped than Strat shaped. Dug was playing through an AxeFX into cabs onstage and when he started playing to test his stage volume I got a chub. Dug's bass tone is just the fucking best. But yeah, Ty definitely sounds like him no matter what he's using.

I bet Fender would sell a fair amount of sig models if they ever did one. That band has such a huge cult following I'm surprised they haven't done it yet.
            The Karmic Law is not kismet. It is not fate but cause and effect. It is a taskmaster to the unwise; a servant to the wise.

Comment

Obligatory posting of this dude's videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                I've never in my life played an Orange amp that I liked. However Ty's playing always sounds awesome.
                Yeah, I just played an Orange Rockerverb 15 combo, and it sounded like a baby hippo shitting its brains out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post

Yeah, I just played an Orange Rockerverb 15 combo, and it sounded like a baby hippo shitting its brains out.

They're not my favourite sound, I must admit. It's almost like they've got no EQ shaping to them at all. They're just a wall of distortion. No attack, too much bass, like a fuzz pedal with a power amp attached. Soft and doughy. Great for *that* kind of sound though, I just happen to never want *that* type of sound, ever

Comment

Originally posted by Mattayus View Post

They're not my favourite sound, I must admit. It's almost like they've got no EQ shaping to them at all. They're just a wall of distortion. No attack, too much bass, like a fuzz pedal with a power amp attached. Soft and doughy. Great for *that* kind of sound though, I just happen to never want *that* type of sound, ever
                    The weird thing is that I really, really like the OR15. It’s a great sounding amp, and nothing like the other stuff, for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      Was about to say the exact same thing. Thanks for saving me the time.

Originally posted by Jeff View Post

While I've never heard that happen, if I did, I might immediately assume the noise came from an Orange amp...
                      Don't expect much, it's not like I'm a Rocket Surgeon...

Comment

Working...
                      X