Need stereo power for two 1x12’s/2x12’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need stereo power for two 1x12’s/2x12’s

I’m probably going to end up going the Powerstage 170 route with these, but for my FM9 rig I’m going to be using two Mesa 1x12’s or 2x12’s in stereo for my own live monitoring while FOH gets a direct, mono signal.

I don’t want to add a rack to the rig, I just want the pedalboard and the cabs. What are some other good options for powering these cabs? I’ve kind of gotten behind the times with this stuff as I’ve only paid attention to rack gear for so long and I know there’s a few pedal-sized power sources out there now and was hoping some of you had some experience with them.
    The Karmic Law is not kismet. It is not fate but cause and effect. It is a taskmaster to the unwise; a servant to the wise.

Orange Pedal baby is compact and has a ton of power

oh shit its not stereo tho - sorry
    O K T H E N

Comment

Just get two of ’em!

Comment

I’m not opposed to buying two units to do the job and will probably have to go that route. I can just leave them right on top of the cabs or something since I don’t want to take up pedalboard real estate with them. This board is going to be big enough between the FM9 and the two expression pedals.

The Karmic Law is not kismet. It is not fate but cause and effect. It is a taskmaster to the unwise; a servant to the wise.

Comment

Just found out about the ISP Technologies Steal Pro- 180 watts mono, 80 watts stereo! This will be perfect!

Comment

Just get the Duncan PowerStage 700. It’s stereo.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
              Dis guy.

Or a quilter.

Comment

Originally posted by Budda View Post

Dis guy.

Or a quilter.
                I’ve got a Quilter sitting here. I didn’t really care for it as a power amp for a modeler. It’s barely passable as a clean platform amp, IME.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff View Post
                  Oh shit, why did I think it was stereo only?

Comment

Originally posted by RevDrucifer View Post

Oh shit, why did I think it was stereo only?
                    MYbe you were thinking of the 170?

I vote for the. Matrix gt1000fx. But they might be hard to find over there.

Comment

What about 2 powered monitors? Two guitar cabs needs a power amp and kinda negates your IRs flexability. I think two powered monitors is way more flexable and appropriate.
                      "Slow Hand"

Comment

2 Mesa cabs and a power amp is a good budget. Guys on here have said good stuff about the Headrush monitors, the 12" ones are only 350 new, if you are gonna have them on a bar floor 350 powered cab sounds pretty slick.
                        "Slow Hand"

Comment

I have the Orange Pedal Baby, and it blows the doors off our rehearsal room at half power through a Mesa 4x12. I actually plan to get a second one to power a 2x12 on the other side of our drummer, as our second guitar player quit, and because why not

So, the Pedal Baby is Class A/B, which seems to be more important for "feel" for guitar than it does bass. Lots of bass amps are Class D, which is hella light, but seems to come off as sterile to folks when used with guitar. The SD Powerstage units are Class D. It's also important when it comes to your speaker cabinet ohm rating and actual delivered power (Class D halves, Class AB drops, but not as precipitously).

Avoid the ISP. I've not heard a single good thing.

Not sure about the Quilter... I have a QSC (same company as Quilter line) GX5 (Class H, like, wtf is that ) that pushes 500W to each of my bass cabs (4x10 and 2x12). I haven't tried it through my 2x12's yet, or the 4x12 at our rehearsal space, but honestly the 100w Orange is all I need in there.

My advice... bag on a stereo setup for your live rig. No one will hear it, maybe not even you. Absolutely do it for your home rehearsal space, because that shit is awesome

Comment

2:90 or GTFO

Comment

I don't want a rack! The whole point is to keep my rack at home, in the studio!

The rig WAS going to be a 2:90 in a rack with my AxeFX, but now that's just going to sit at home.

And the FRFR thing doesn't really interest me at all. While I'm fine playing through studio monitors at home, if I'm cranking up through a big speaker, I'm going to do it through a guitar cab. All I see from the FRFR guys is, "How do I get the amp in the room sound?". I just plug into the return of my XXL head into one of my 2x12's and it rips. I've got zero issues getting the tones I'm going for between the Retro 30's and the Black Shadows. The Mesa cabs I plan on getting will probably have V30's but there's so much I can do in the AxeFX/FM9 to shape the tone, it barely matters what speaker I'm playing through. It's just a rabbit hole I don't want to go down.

And Mesa cabs look cool as fuck.

Comment

If you want clean (i.e., not tone-coloring) stereo power, then a Carvin stereo amp might be a good solution. You'd have to find a used one, though, I think. Simply use that into a guitar cab with an FM9 and no cab sims, and you'd probably have killer tone.

If you use a tube guitar power amp like one of old Mesas, you'd also have to turn off the power sag control in the Fractal and you'd start to lose the benefit of the amp modeling. I guess that wouldn't matter if you only wanted a single particular sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                                  2:90 or GTFO
                                  Someone finally said it.

Comment

I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack.

Comment

I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack. I don’t want a rack.
                                      I think the discussion has moved beyond caring what you want, Rev.

Comment

Play the game mate.

When did we ever care about what the OP really wants?

Comment

Attach the FM9 to the top of the 2:90. You now have a pedal lift too.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
                                              Play the game mate.

When did we ever care about what the OP really wants?
                                              Fair play!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonplayer View Post

I think the discussion has moved beyond caring what you want, Rev.
                                                Just goin’ along with the rest of my life as it exists outside of my apartment.

Comment

Here's what I actually plan on doing...

Click image for larger version

Name:	leonrig.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	27495

You could probably do something similar...

Click image for larger version

Name:	revrig.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	27496

Comment

Working...
                                                  X