The 7DT builds another amp thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 7DT builds another amp thread...

I finally (thanks to Tony) got a chassis sorted to start on the Friedman BE clone build that I've had boards for for the past 3 or so years. Going to order the transformers this week as well for it (from inmadout) so that'll be cool. I'll then order little bits of hardware, tube sockets and all the like, and eventually get round to doing the component order, but due to macbook screen death, I have less money to play around with this month (booooooo!)

Anyway, I'll do pics and updates of the build in this thread, and most likely revive my blog where i posted the build for the sloclone i did 5 years ago. I know. Waaaaaaay too long ago.

Also, it won't be as good as tony's builds, but, I can dream lol

This amp better end up sounding good...

Is there a big difference between the BE and the HBE?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
      No idea. I haven't looked but i think there's a switch on the amp that does the hairy bit, if not, sure I can find a way to add it!

Comment

I'm afraid you're going to build one and it's going to be awesome and it's going to somehow end up making me poor as usual.

Comment

Excellent. I love the amp builds. Really want to try building one someday.

Comment

Post many updates please. Amp builds rule.
            Leon Today at 7:59 PM: Ripping farts is heaven

Comment

They're the modes of the dirt channel, the real amp has a switch to go from BE to the gainier HBE. It's been nearly 4 years since I played it, but I remember the BE being a slightly modded Marshall sound, with the HBE being much more of a modern modded tone with a lot more gain and bite, as well as being tighter

Comment

Looking forward to this.

Comment

if anyone issed the last sequence of blogs when i built the slo, here it is:

http://7dyingtrees.blogspot.com/

i'll also be updating the same blog with the new build

Comment

Is there an easy way to RSS your blog build posts over here?

H.

Comment

Without looking at the schematics I'd say the difference between the BE & HBE is probably diode clipping vs transistor clipping.

Total guess there. I will shoot a friend a message who is the official Friedman /Synergy service guy for the UK..

Also my amp builds aren't that great. Your last one early rivalled them.

Also get some pics up of what you've got. Images make every thread better!

Comment

Originally posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post
                        I finally (thanks to Tony) got a chassis sorted to start on the Friedman BE clone build that I've had boards for for the past 3 or so years. Going to order the transformers this week as well for it (from inmadout) so that'll be cool. I'll then order little bits of hardware, tube sockets and all the like, and eventually get round to doing the component order, but due to macbook screen death, I have less money to play around with this month (booooooo!)

Anyway, I'll do pics and updates of the build in this thread, and most likely revive my blog where i posted the build for the sloclone i did 5 years ago. I know. Waaaaaaay too long ago.

Also, it won't be as good as tony's builds, but, I can dream lol

This amp better end up sounding good...
                        Another fellow amp builder! How fantastic.
                        Your blogs on the SLO build really helped me out when I did mine. Can't wait to see how this build turns out!
                        Last edited by Mahler; 03-01-2021, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahler View Post

Another fellow amp builder! How fantastic.
                          Your blogs on the SLO build really helped me out when I did mine. Can't wait to see how this build turns out!
                          wow! glad to hear i helped someone out! that was my first ever amp build, and it was loads of fun. Was silly not to keep doing one a year or so, but it's time to get back into it

Hopefully it'll be entertaining

Comment

wow! glad to hear i helped someone out! that was my first ever amp build, and it was loads of fun. Was silly not to keep doing one a year or so, but it's time to get back into it

Hopefully it'll be entertaining
                            Something I really need to get back into. Until this preamp I have going in I haven't built an amp for 6 years since my son was born

Comment

So, I don't have many bits at the moment, just chassis and boards. But, still, worth some pics.

Chassis looks good, is off the Russian guy on ebay, I'll pist a link later. Came with the faceplates which is a massive bonus as a few places quote me stupid money for them. And this way I know they're lined up which is one headache less!

Biards were from a guy in london who made a load. I snagged 3. Not the cheapest, but they are properly solid and looks really good.

Am doing thectransformer order at the moment, which will be cool

Comment

Here's the link to the guys ebay store:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/gekkon78_...p2047675.l2559

Comment

I had my eye on the last one, seems you were the one who beat me to it!

Comment

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Ive been building pedals for a few yrs now. I'm pretty keen to build an amp soon. What was the first amp you built? any tips for a first build.

Comment

If this turns out like your SLO clone, it'll be one hell of an amp.

Also, I love that you're using that hideous desk pad the vape people sent to compensate for fucking up your order as a building mat

Comment

Originally posted by spilla View Post
                                        I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Ive been building pedals for a few yrs now. I'm pretty keen to build an amp soon. What was the first amp you built? any tips for a first build.
                                        So, if you have a look at the blog link, that's the first amp I built, a sloclone!

Tips wise, patience, and I'll pass on a tip from tony which is to use alpha wire, stuff is fantastic.

Another important tip is to be a little bit careful, but otherwise, it's actually in some ways easier than building pedals as there's more real estate, and it's not as cramped as a pedal!

Comment

So, if you have a look at the blog link, that's the first amp I built, a sloclone!

Tips wise, patience, and I'll pass on a tip from tony which is to use alpha wire, stuff is fantastic.

Another important tip is to be a little bit careful, but otherwise, it's actually in some ways easier than building pedals as there's more real estate, and it's not as cramped as a pedal!
                                          I'll second the easier than pedals bit. More dangerous though.

If you do a very well documented amp. Slo, marshall, fender etc it's really easy if you have patience and a basic understanding of how to read schematics.

Comment

Can't wait to see the work on this!

If I remember correctly, the difference between BE and HBE in a real Friedman is an extra gain stage from a 12AX7.

Comment

Looking forward to the build log. Your slo blog and direct help got my slo build working. Maybe I can return the favor. I've got a BE100 (2014 model), so if you need any photos, voltages etc. let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by iffy50 View Post
                                                Looking forward to the build log. Your slo blog and direct help got my slo build working. Maybe I can return the favor. I've got a BE100 (2014 model), so if you need any photos, voltages etc. let me know.
                                                Awesome! Glad that my ramblings have helped someone else

The BE board I have is a reverse engineered one, but I think it is an "all in one" build so it has integrated some of the external board the BE normally uses... voltages would be the same though!

I am prioritising transformer order this month (cracked mac screen repair ate my fun money), so no components for me until next month, although I can probably start on chassis wiring if I find some time over the next week

Comment

Awesome! Glad that my ramblings have helped someone else

The BE board I have is a reverse engineered one, but I think it is an "all in one" build so it has integrated some of the external board the BE normally uses... voltages would be the same though!

I am prioritising transformer order this month (cracked mac screen repair ate my fun money), so no components for me until next month, although I can probably start on chassis wiring if I find some time over the next week
                                                  I usually order the transformers last. That way you can get cracking populating boards, chassis prep etc

Comment

Working...
                                                  X