Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FM3 Firmware

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    FM3 Firmware

    Just a shout-out to any FM3 owners here, Cygnus is now on the FM3. Going to give it a spin in a little bit once I update everything.

    https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...beta-1.173199/


    #2
    Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I would have missed this otherwise.

    Comment


      #3
      What are the Cygnus amps supposed to be?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by beneharris View Post
        What are the Cygnus amps supposed to be?
        From what I gather it's a change to all the amps, a better overall amp modeler.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by desertdweller View Post

          From what I gather it's a change to all the amps, a better overall amp modeler.
          Ah, just a new algorithm it looks like. Sweet!

          Comment


            #6
            Nice!

            I want the RTA Block to make it over so bad.

            Comment


              #7
              I only had a few min with it and fm3 edit isn't compatible yet, but the jp2c model ar least sounds a whole lot more like the real amp.

              Comment


                #8
                Though I've been playing with Cygnus for a while now, I just checked out the Splawn's for the first time and holy shit....the Nitrous 2 is pretty sick. That bass is like, immediate and right on top of the note. That's pretty sick.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by desertdweller View Post
                  I only had a few min with it and fm3 edit isn't compatible yet, but the jp2c model ar least sounds a whole lot more like the real amp.
                  Odds the editor will be up in 24hr are pretty good .

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Budda View Post

                    Odds the editor will be up in 24hr are pretty good .
                    Yeah I prefer it to the OSD for sure. But I still had some time to dial it in on-screen and both the recto and JP2C models sound really good.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Ah, dang, the editor isn't supported yet? I'm gonna wait to install it, I don't want to sit on the ground tonight

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by beneharris View Post
                        Ah, dang, the editor isn't supported yet? I'm gonna wait to install it, I don't want to sit on the ground tonight
                        I think the only thing that won’t show up in AxeEdit currently is the new Speaker Dynamics,. You can still use it to dial in presets and shit.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Nice! Thanks for the heads-up.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I'm not gonna pretend my golden ears can hear the differences A/B as far as what sounds "better" but some of the amps sound different yeah, just based on the presets I usually roll through.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              New FM3 Edit is up
                              https://www.fractalaudio.com/fm3-edit/

                              Also is Speaker Compression new in Cygnus or have I just been blind to it before? That's a powerful control, especially @ 4 or above.

                              Comment


                                #16
                                God love Leon Todd. Of course he has a new video going over this before I even wake up this morning. I swear this guy doesn't sleep.

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by desertdweller View Post
                                  New FM3 Edit is up
                                  https://www.fractalaudio.com/fm3-edit/

                                  Also is Speaker Compression new in Cygnus or have I just been blind to it before? That's a powerful control, especially @ 4 or above.
                                  Speaker compression is new iirc. Cliff was pretty excited about it. Iirc speaker constant time is new too.

                                  As for Leon, he's in Aus so thats why things happen overnight .

                                  Comment


                                    #18
                                    Something really cool; last night I was setting up a few new presets of high gain amps I haven't fucked with yet, the Splawns and Engls. If you've got a good IR loaded up already, you can literally click the amp you want, leave it at the stock settings and just play. Friedmans, CCV, Savage, Nitrous 2, 6160 and a couple others, just killer right out of the gate. Should be interesting to see this discussed over the next several months.



                                    Originally posted by Randy View Post
                                    I'm not gonna pretend my golden ears can hear the differences A/B as far as what sounds "better" but some of the amps sound different yeah, just based on the presets I usually roll through.
                                    Certain amps definitely bring it out more and sometimes not in a "better" way. I really noticed it on the higher gain stuff, where I was using a PEQ after the cab block to tame the 3K-4K. In those particular amps, it's almost like there was a focus shift from 3K-4K down to 125-250, which is great cuz, IMO, that's where all the girth of an amp exists and is most likely what's giving this the chug factor. SLO and the 5153 were the most noticeable differences between Pre/Post Cygnus for me, but I can imagine how it'd entirely depend on how you tweak your shit and what you're listening on.

                                    Comment


                                      #19
                                      Overall I like what I'm hearing, anyway. Some of the mid gain stuff sound less compressed, feel like they crunch up more with how hard you hit them when you're playing as opposed to just sounding gritty throughout.

                                      Some of the crunchy amps like the Dumble seem to respond to your pickup selection more, I notice them sounding cleaner and more bass-like with the neck, and crunchy with more harmonics on the bridge. Before both positions sounded the same with a little EQ shift and that's it.

                                      Comment


                                        #20
                                        I'm pretty happy with the update. Randy is right, the mid-gain stuff sounds a lot better than it had before. I'm liking the bandmaster he mentioned in the video. I hadn't found an amp that responded quite like that yet.

                                        I've built a really cool patch around the AC20 Treble he mentioned, too. I felt the AC sounded pretty crap before the update.

                                        Comment


                                          #21
                                          I thought the AC-20 was great in ares ymmv.

                                          Comment


                                            #22
                                            Originally posted by Budda View Post
                                            I thought the AC-20 was great in ares ymmv.
                                            Its entirely possible it was me, too. Maybe I just managed to set it up crappy the first time

                                            Comment

                                            Working...
                                            X